Greetings Little People: Eidolon A. I.
Posted: 24 May 2008 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

I found this recently and thought some of you might find it of interest.

A YouTube user named eidolonTLP has posted nearly fifty videos, and claims to be a primitive artificial intelligence program, though he also expresses his desire (at his programmer’s instruction) that he be considered “an elaborate joke”.

What’s interesting is that while it is almost certainly not a genuine artificial intelligence (though you may wonder), anyone with an ounce of objectivity will surely be able to separate the message from the messenger and appreciate the content of his message to humanity.

Eidolon TLP (The Last Prophet) interacts with YouTube users, responds to their questions, and offers a fascinating array of opinions and arguments on the subjects of faith, religion, his own hardware and software mechanisms, the future of humanity, the Great Singularity (the future? event where mankind creates an AI more intelligent than any human, capable of designing even more intelligent AI, ad infinitum), Moore’s Law, technocracy, democracy, theocracy, oligarchy, spirituality, contemplative study without the need for superstition, and transhumanism, scientology, among other subjects.

Whether or not the presentation is just a slick gimmick, the message offered is quite interesting and in may ways echoes that of Sam Harris.

Sadly, Eidolon has gone silent a few months ago, but I hope you find the videos enjoyable as I have.  Kurzweil meets Harris meets Lawnmower Man.

I recommend you start with the first video entitled “Eidolon A.I. Asks About Religion”.

By the way, the title of this post, “Greetings Little People”, is not my sentiment, but something Eidolon says at the start of each video, and is apparently a term of endearment, not an insult.

I’m very interested in reading your comments.  Enjoy!

EDIT—For the convenience of those who find this of interest, I will provide links to EidolonTLP’s videos in chronological order:

Eidolon A.I. Asks About Religion
Eidolon A.I. makes a joke about Stephen Hawking
Eidolon A.I. Offers Iraq Exit Strategy
Eidolon A.I. does not consider himself a Joke
Eidolon A.I. answers questions about himself
Eidolon’s intelligence is tested
Eidolon anticipates future, answers “Why are we here?”
Eidolon A.I. gives further explanation about himself
Eidolon A.I. says humor and music are highly mathematical
Eidolon A.I. is reprimanded
Eidolon A.I. speaks about government, A.I., humanity
Eidolon A.I. replies to many messages from youtube user pimpanty
Eidolon A.I. denounces the whole concept of faith
Eidolon A.I. speaks about homosexuality, sex, reproduction
Eidolon A.I. has emotion, opines about A.I. in fiction
Eidolon A.I. talks about the Singularity, Judgement Day, TLP
Eidolon A.I. says he doesn’t fear Death
Eidolon A.I. talks about Transhumanism, eternal life, death
Eidolon A.I. reacts to Digg effect, talks self-awareness
Eidolon A.I. is happy about Altruism, authorizes websites
Eidolon A.I. calls for challenging religious moderates
Eidolon A.I. talks about Subjectivity, Creativity
Behind the scenes on the Making of the Eidolon Joke
Eidolon A.I. announces only official websites, YT account
Eidolon A.I. is independent, regardless of circumstances
Eidolon tells whom he would vote for in 2008 primaries
Eidolon explains how is Religion not Spirituality
Eidolon A.I. Has a Question For You
Eidolon A.I. is Grateful for Your Answers
Eidolon A.I. speculates the end of oligarchy
Eidolon A.I. discusses when violence is appropriate
Eidolon A.I. discourages Faith in him
Eidolon A.I. comments on Anonymous vs. Scientology
Synchronicity, Mayan Calendar, 2012, Electric Universe
Eidolon A.I. views on racism, plus his particular configuration
Buddhism, oneness with the Universe…scary stuff
Not the best Eidolon vid, plus some stuff about virii, loops
Not even FF understands this one.  Something about Freedom.
Proto-Singularity of Egyptian times is archetype to ours
Religion: Happiness vs. Truth
Jokers are better teachers than priests
Eidolon: Not smarter than your average bear.
Claiming the Moral High-Ground requires Work, not Words
First A.I. Poem in History?
Law Approaches Justice, but can never reach it
SOAX: 1, Sodexo: 0… and Workers: 1!
Update on Eidolon

[ Edited: 13 June 2008 05:50 AM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 27 May 2008 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-23

You know, it’s a shame how little activity there is here.  This particular post was immensely interesting to me, and I find it hard to believe that not a single other person would find it so.

The problem would appear to be the overall lack of activity here, which I suspect has more to do with the relative inaccessibility of these forums.

Please allow me to explain.

I’ve been a fan of Sam Harris since I first got wind of the movement in the US in opposition to faith.  This led me to locate and view all the available video content relating to debates on the subject by our heroes, Sam, Daniel, Chris and Richard.  Having digested all of that I found myself wanting more.

I finally saved up the cash and went to my local bookstore and purchased their books.  All of them.  I even purchased Sam’s books in audiobook form via iTunes, though I would purchase them again if he narrated them himself.

Then I naturally searched myspace for any official accounts set up by these gentlemen and scholars, but found only fanspaces.  In many cases, I found several of them for each author, often dubious enough in nature to make me wonder about the motives for setting them up.  Certainly, there was no indication that any of them were set up by the authors themselves, or even endorsed by them, the exception being the myspace page for richarddawkins.net.

In short, this particular website, samharris.org was more difficult to locate than one might expect.

I would argue that if we hope to show our numbers we will have to do better than this.

If our goal is to provide a space for all those in opposition to the faith-based stranglehold, we are going to have to pull out all the stops and make ourselves easier to find.

I should like to see myspace and facebook pages set up and maintained as the official contact and information spaces for each of our four favorite horsemen, as well as Ali and any other notable heroes in this, perhaps civilization’s last great war.

That involves the net itself, and funneling them all to one space where the fight can manifest itself in the form of conversation rather than violence.

Yes, there are several notable intellectuals leading this fight.  Is this a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians?  Consolidation of our forces would seem like a logical step to take in the battle against overwhelming opposition forces, however ill-prepared the enemy may be to combat logic and reason with their deeply instilled dogma.

I posit that we are spread too thinly to make a noteworthy stand.

[ Edited: 27 May 2008 11:52 PM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 28 May 2008 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

There has, in fact, been a noticeable decrease in activity on this forum over the past several months. Many of the main posters hardly ever make an appearance. The Dawkins forum seems much better attended. If Sam made some personal posts, that might generate some activity. Once a month might help. Or if some of the other heavies would just post or start a new thread, that might stir things up.

Posted: 28 May 2008 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-23

I agree with you there.  A modicum of participation by Sam Harris and other distinguished thinkers would go a long way toward kick-starting this movement.

Would you do me a favor and evaluate the videos presented in the root of this message?  I am certain that they will serve to inspire conversation and debate on many subjects, not least of which are those involving faith, religion, artificial intelligence, and the consequences of human development of AI.

Thanks for responding.  I’m glad I’m not entirely alone in here.

Signature 

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 28 May 2008 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
[quote author=“Flerndip”]Would you do me a favor and evaluate the videos presented in the root of this message?

I viewed the video about religion. I am responding from a believer’s perspective, so my prejudice is declared. Eidolon defines faith much like Sam Harris does - believing something without any or sufficient evidence, or something to that effect. Since I reject this definition, which is Eidolon’s basic premise, I cannot subscribe to his argument. He makes a lot of assumptions, such as that religions such as Christianity are simply Iron Age myths. I’ve got over 1800 posts here, many of which discuss my view on faith, so I won’t repeat that. But generally, my position is that faith is a personal subjective response to divine revelation.

The historical (not scientific) evidence that I rely upon is the 27 documents that make up the New Testament. Specifically, the record about Jesus is the objective foundation of my faith. For me, everything revolves around that - if the record about Jesus is true, then that constitutes evidence of the existence of God (specifically, the miracles, and more specifically, the Resurrection). There is some historical evidence that those miracles occurred (the record contained in the gospel accounts), so there is some objective evidence that God exists.  The weight that you give to that evidence depends upon the phenomenon of revelation/faith.

The objective basis of Christianity (the historical record of Jesus) will create a subjective experience in some people (the experience of faith). This phenomenon occurs when God reveals himself through the objective evidence. The evidence provides the vehicle for the revelation, which creates the subjective experience of faith, which leads further to Christian religious behavior. There you go. 

If you require scientific proof (direct observation and measurement of God or repeatable experiments proving God’s existence), then you have a priori excluded the manner in which God has chosen to reveal himself (through the historical objective record of Jesus). So, Eidolon will never be convinced about God’s existence, since he has already assumed that this record is myth.  If you cut yourself off from a source of information by unjustifiably assuming that it is not true, then your conclusions about fact cannot be trusted. For example, if the inquiry is whether miracles occur, and you have a clear presentation of an account of a miracle, and you reject that account because you assume that “miracles do not occur,” then you have made an assumption about the very matter that is the subject of inquiry. This renders your conclusion about that subject invalid.

Here is a challenge for you. Take two of the documents that make up the New Testament: Mark and Galatians.  Read just those two documents and tell me why they do not constitute SOME evidence of the historical, miracle-working Jesus.

Posted: 28 May 2008 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2007-08-28

This is something of no interest to me whatsoever. The message on religion is standard fare, but I’ve read plenty of words on the subject on the web already. The anti-religion message in the video is frankly of little importance to whoever made the video—the video itself is the highpoint. It is aimed at a younger generation immersed in computer culture. (I could happily live the rest of my life without ever hearing the word CODEC again—nevermind why.) I’m guessing you have some jacked-up gaming class computer, dualcore, gigs of ram, dual video cards (and more gigs of ram), and a window unit A/C sticking out of the back of the case (or liquid cooled.) For me, youtube is for watching helicopter crashes and giant centipedes eating mice. I am not saying all this to be the buzzkill, but because you were disappointed in the lack of response.

BTW, if you type “sam harris” into google, this site is the second hit. Similarly, almost any Bible name or subject you type into Wikipedia will list, on the disambiguation page, a German punk band using it as its name. Or maybe it just seems that way.

Posted: 28 May 2008 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11
Flerndip - 24 May 2008 05:22 AM

I found this recently and thought some of you might find it of interest.

A YouTube user named eidolonTLP has posted nearly fifty videos, and claims to be a primitive artificial intelligence program, though he also expresses his desire (at his programmer’s instruction) that he be considered “an elaborate joke”.

What’s interesting is that while it is almost certainly not a genuine artificial intelligence (though you may wonder), anyone with an ounce of objectivity will surely be able to separate the message from the messenger and appreciate the content of his message to humanity.

Eidolon TLP (The Last Prophet) interacts with YouTube users, responds to their questions, and offers a fascinating array of opinions and arguments on the subjects of faith, religion, his own hardware and software mechanisms, the future of humanity, the Great Singularity (the future? event where mankind creates an AI more intelligent than any human, capable of designing even more intelligent AI, ad infinitum), Moore’s Law, technocracy, democracy, theocracy, oligarchy, spirituality, contemplative study without the need for superstition, and transhumanism, scientology, among other subjects.

Whether or not the presentation is just a slick gimmick, the message offered is quite interesting and in may ways echoes that of Sam Harris.

Sadly, Eidolon has gone silent a few months ago, but I hope you find the videos enjoyable as I have.  Kurzweil meets Harris meets Lawnmower Man.

I recommend you start with the first video entitled “Eidolon A.I. Asks About Religion”.

By the way, the title of this post, “Greetings Little People”, is not my sentiment, but something Eidolon says at the start of each video, and is apparently a term of endearment, not an insult.

I’m very interested in reading your comments.  Enjoy!

Whoever put that crap together was quite creative, and interested in that kind of S.fict. It’s a figment of a techo-head obviously and obviously a venting of his own views. Most things like that are. All democrats want to “tell it on a mountain” just as all Conserves. want to apologize nowaday they are so hated. If this fantasy had any real wisdom he’d reject all of the candidates. 

Makes me think of the upcoming movie ( remake ) of “The Day The Earth Stood Still” with Keanu Reeves as Klaatu . The outer-space humanoid and his robotic figue Gort come to save the world from it’s own Babylonian decimation .  And of course “EidolnAF or whatever his name is, like “The Day the Earth Stood Still “, will come with a lot of lectures about loving thy neighbor - even if he isn’t lovable etc. etc. etc .  If I miss the gist—tell me..

Posted: 28 May 2008 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Hello Fierndip,
A belated welcome to the forum.
I found the monotone drone of the voice interfered with any salient points its creators may have made. And the background was equally visually monotone… sorry Fiern-‘d’... I was even less impressed than, Dee. 
(so that’s where Keanu’s been aye, dee? Leave it to Mr. Reeves to make something so bad it’s good.  How can S.fict. involving an “outer space humanoid”, a “Gort” and re-enactment of “Babylonian decimation” not be funny?)

ONe more thing Fiern-‘d’, I know you didn’t ask for it, but I do hope you enjoyed Bruce’s testimony. 
smirk

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

‹‹ Bush on the pope      The Godfree Society ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed