4 of 4
The War on Traditional Values
Posted: 10 June 2008 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2007-05-22
Beam_Me_Up - 10 June 2008 06:11 PM

Bruce, I have just read this thread for the first time today. You and I have generally disagreed on most things. I am genuinely impressed. I have never doubted your intelligence. I just want to say that your posts on this thread have been particularly rational. Perhaps you are converting to a non-theist philosophy.  wink

I know you are still a Christian. That is just my way of complimenting your evenhanded posts.

Yes, Bruce is a pretty good sport.  Let’s give it up for Bruceter!  Really Bruce, you do hang in there with the best.

Signature 

Something’s Moving.

~Albert Einstein

Posted: 12 June 2008 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  885
Joined  2008-01-23

Don’t mock Champ because he’s got some of his facts wrong.  Champ still has the right spirit, as does anyone seeking God, including some atheists who it seems to me are just searching for what they know is there but can’t put their finger on it just yet, still suffering from repression, from a persistent, annoying cognitive dissonance.

I pray that God make it easy.

O God! Lift the veils from our hearts that we may be able to know you as you ought to be known and to worship you as you ought to be worshipped. Amen.

[ Edited: 12 June 2008 01:34 PM by Jack Shooter]

Posted: 13 June 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25
Jack Shooter - 12 June 2008 05:31 PM

Don’t mock Champ because he’s got some of his facts wrong.  Champ still has the right spirit, as does anyone seeking God, including some atheists who it seems to me are just searching for what they know is there but can’t put their finger on it just yet, still suffering from repression, from a persistent, annoying cognitive dissonance.

I pray that God make it easy.

O God! Lift the veils from our hearts that we may be able to know you as you ought to be known and to worship you as you ought to be worshipped. Amen.

Hmmmm, interesting. Do we have a newbee Christian on the boards?

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
TheChampion - 13 June 2008 11:19 AM

Jack Shooter is Muslim.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 14 June 2008 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Beam_Me_Up - 13 June 2008 03:38 PM

Jack Shooter is Muslim.

Perhaps we have the beginning of a detente here.

Posted: 14 June 2008 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
burt - 14 June 2008 07:12 AM

Jack Shooter is Muslim.

I thumbed through some of his stuff. He uses long winded explanations to try and turn the meaning around of some obviously difficult passages of their scripture. Isn’t Christianity so easy, ‘lean not unto thy own understanding, but trust every word that comes out of the mouth of God’, easy, ‘husbands love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave up his life for it,’ easy stuff, easy….

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 14 June 2008 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04
TheChampion - 14 June 2008 12:45 PM
burt - 14 June 2008 07:12 AM

Jack Shooter is Muslim.

He uses long winded explanations to try and turn the meaning around of some obviously difficult passages of their scripture.

In this sense, he is much “better versed” than you are in twisting reality to fit his particular mythology.

Isn’t Christianity so easy, ‘lean not unto thy own understanding, . . .  ‘

This is why you’re such a good Christian.  By default of your unfortunate mental condition, you reject common sense.  Jack has gone to much more trouble than you have trying to explain why his fairy tale makes sense.  Both of you are waist-deep in shit, but you’re sort of flinging the shit in the air and making slide whistle sounds, while Jack is trying to draw diagrams in his shit while making “wa-wa” Charlie Brown teacher sounds.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 14 June 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
Aaron - 14 June 2008 01:18 PM

This is why you’re such a good Christian.  By default of your unfortunate mental condition, you reject common sense.  Jack has gone to much more trouble than you have trying to explain why his fairy tale makes sense.  Both of you are waist-deep in shit, but you’re sort of flinging the shit in the air and making slide whistle sounds, while Jack is trying to draw diagrams in his shit while making “wa-wa” Charlie Brown teacher sounds.

I don’t have to explain anything really, the bible says it all. It is easy to understand, but also easy to reject on the grounds that people would rather continue sinning instead of repenting. No long winded explanations required. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son and that whosever should believe on him will have everlasting life.” Sounds simple to me. It certainly does not require a full explanation….(shoulders shrugg)......

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2008 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04
TheChampion - 14 June 2008 03:08 PM
Aaron - 14 June 2008 01:18 PM

I don’t have to explain anything really,

If you want to talk with sane people, you do.

the bible says it all.

There’s that slide whistle.

It is easy to understand,

As are the short Wyoming stories of Annie Proulx.

but also easy to reject on the grounds that people would rather continue sinning instead of repenting.

Or on the grounds that “sinning vs. repenting” gibberish can be understood as so much white noise emanating from a whole chorus of slide whistles.

No long winded explanations required.

A cop-out way of admitting that none are possible.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son and that whosever should believe on him will have everlasting life.” Sounds simple to me. It certainly does not require a full explanation….(shoulders shrugg)......

For Champ loved his religion so much that he gave his only brain, and that whosoever should disbelieve him will hear everlasting slide whistles.” Yes, it is very simple. You’ve perfectly explained yourself!  Thanks.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed