Ford dealership uses bigoted radio ads to sell cars
Posted: 26 May 2008 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

I found this posted today on BoingBoing.net .  An excerpt and link:

Ford dealership uses bigoted radio ads to sell cars

Keiffe and Sons, a Ford dealership in Mojave, California, has a new radio ad in which they try to court Christian car buyers by announcing that they believe that non-Christians in America should “sit down and shut up.”

[“Did you know that there are people in this country who want prayer out of schools, “Under God” out of the Pledge, and “In God We Trust” to be taken off our money?”]

“But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Keiffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I guess I just offended 14% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that’s tough, this is America folks, it’s called free speech. None of us at Keiffe & Sons Ford is afraid to speak out. Keiffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don’t see you today, by the grace of God, we’ll be here tomorrow.”

Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 28 May 2008 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

I suppose one could argue that buying a Ford is an act of faith…

If anyone feels like dropping them a line you can do so at:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

What I’d really like to do, though, is figure out how to get a viral campaign started referring to them a “Thieffe and Sons”. Get that ball rolling and watch their sales drop like a stone. It’s all about perception. Nah, that’s too evil even for me.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 28 May 2008 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

“We at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up ... [and if that offends that 14%] then I say that’s tough ... it’s called free speech.”

Yeah, they’re too religiostupidified to spot such vapidity when they’re emoting rather than thinking rather than thinking about this.

Priceless!

Fuckwads.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 28 May 2008 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

We at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up ... [and if that offends that 14%] then I say that’s tough ... it’s called free speech.”

Freedom of speech is guaranteed only for the majority.  The minority have to “sit down and shut up.”

Selective freedom of speech.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 29 May 2008 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
lindajean - 28 May 2008 09:34 PM

Freedom of speech is guaranteed only for the majority.  The minority have to “sit down and shut up.”

Actually that would make it precisely the opposite of free speech. The Bill of Rights is all about protecting individuals from the state, and from the tyranny of the majority. Popular speech and behaviors don’t require legal protections.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 29 May 2008 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
SkepticX - 29 May 2008 08:59 AM
lindajean - 28 May 2008 09:34 PM

Actually that would make it precisely the opposite of free speech. The Bill of Rights is all about protecting individuals from the state, and from the tyranny of the majority. Popular speech and behaviors don’t require legal protections.

Byron

Absolutely, Byron.  (And thank our Founding Fathers for the Bill of Rights.)

Obviously the Ford dealership doesn’t see it that way.  grin

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 29 May 2008 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24
lindajean - 29 May 2008 10:46 AM

Absolutely, Byron.  (And thank our Founding Fathers for the Bill of Rights.)

Obviously the Ford dealership doesn’t see it that way.  grin

Neither do most Americans.

First Amendment Center: State of the First Amendment

Don’t go there if you’re not feeling up to depressing news (though it shouldn’t actually be a surprise to anyone in here ... or a new experience for that matter).

By the way, as with alleged religious beliefs vs. what believers demonstrate in reality, this survey is consistently a very clear demonstration that most people are pretty much unaware of what they really think and believe. They say they believe something, and then when faced with concrete examples they demonstrate they don’t. Form vs. substance. Religious training has a strong effect on this, by the way (see research on authoritarians). This is also an example of why religion (i.e. the set of human traits and behaviors that are uniquely characteristic of religious faith) is dangerous. People who don’t even realize what they really believe and who can venerate high ideals in the abstract and then venerate what is often precisely the opposite in reality can be dangerous, obviously, both to civil life and often also to life in terms of health (and being alive). Religious faith just enables people to attach a sense of ultimate authority to this nasty equation, which exonerates them in their own minds and psyches.

Byron

[ Edited: 29 May 2008 08:33 AM by SkepticX]
 Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2008 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  952
Joined  2006-06-26

Using religion to sell cars? Now that is sinking to a new low, although I guess it was inevitable.

A bigoted, Christian, car salesman. Wow, now that is a creepy thought.
Bend over and prepare to be enlightened.

I wonder what Ford would think about this ad campaign?

Signature 

“We have it recorded in a book called the Bible.”

To be blunt, the Bible records all manner of silly shit.

Posted: 31 May 2008 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

Two followup stories on this topic.  Source: boingboing.net

Sit-down-and-shut-up “Christian” Ford dealership is run by non-church attendee who is sorry about the ad

Bigoted Ford dealership isn’t actually sorry for its non-Christians “should sit down and shut up” ads

Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed