Who/what is your favorite and why?
Posted: 03 June 2008 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

As for historic Western Intellects, who/what is your favorite and why?

Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Stoicism, Epicureanism, Eclecticism, Skepticism, Plotinus, Augustine, Aquinas, Meister Eckhart, Luther, Calvin, Machiavelli, Utopianism, Erasmus, Galileo, Calvin, Utopianism, Bacon, Descartes, Hobbes, Spinoza, Pascal, Bayle, Newton, Locke, Vico, Montesquieu, Mandeville, Bishop Berkeley, Hume, Adam Smith, Rousseau, Kant, Hegel, Marx, Mill, Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, James’s Pragmatism, Freud, A.J. Ayer, Max Weber, Husserl, Dewey, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Saussure, Hayek, Popper, Kuhn, Quine, Habermas, Rawls, Derrida, Rorty, Gouldner, MacIntyre, Nozick, someone or something different…

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 03 June 2008 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
Beam_Me_Up - 03 June 2008 02:39 PM

Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Stoicism, Epicureanism, Eclecticism, Skepticism, Plotinus, Augustine, Aquinas, Meister Eckhart, Luther, Calvin, Machiavelli, Utopianism, Erasmus, Galileo, Calvin, Utopianism, Bacon, Descartes, Hobbes, Spinoza, Pascal, Bayle, Newton, Locke, Vico, Montesquieu, Mandeville, Bishop Berkeley, Hume, Adam Smith, Rousseau, Kant, Hegel, Marx, Mill, Kierkegaard, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, James’s Pragmatism, Freud, A.J. Ayer, Max Weber, Husserl, Dewey, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Saussure, Hayek, Popper, Kuhn, Quine, Habermas, Rawls, Derrida, Rorty, Gouldner, MacIntyre, Nozick, someone or something different…

If you mean Selma Hayek then that would be my pick.

Bertrand Russell would be the runner up.

Such wonderful detachment from emotion without being a heartless prick. Excellent reasoning skills and a slashing yet subtle wit.
In ‘The portable atheist’, his piece “An outline of intellectual rubbish’’ is by far my favorite.

Not too fond of his tits though.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 04 June 2008 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
Sander - 03 June 2008 09:28 PM

If you mean Selma Hayek then that would be my pick.

My bad. I was too lazy to type first names. I meant F. A. Hayek. (see also Karl Popper and neo-libertarian conservatism.)

Sander - 03 June 2008 09:28 PM

Bertrand Russell would be the runner up.

Such wonderful detachment from emotion without being a heartless prick. Excellent reasoning skills and a slashing yet subtle wit.
In ‘The portable atheist’, his piece “An outline of intellectual rubbish’’ is by far my favorite.

Not too fond of his tits though.

I like Russell’s emphasis on science and logic. I personally just find it easier to go ahead and be a heartless prick. I bet if Bertrand were alive, he would have something to say about the Iraq mess.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 04 June 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Jefe - 04 June 2008 01:47 PM

Leonardo.

I’ll second Jefe’s vote for Leonardo, even though he wasn’t on the list. He was perhaps the most intellectually versatile human who ever lived. After him I would vote for Newton - basically the father of calculus and modern physics - wow. The modern world is based on his work.  Third, Einstein, for obvious reasons. Quite frankly, my listing of these is based primarily on their appearance in history - they all really tie for the first three spots.

Posted: 04 June 2008 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

A succinct list is unlikely without some strict criteria. Who could argue the brilliance and insight of any of those men? I think it is interesting that Newton came up with so many brilliant theories during 1665 to 1666 when Cambridge was closed down due to the Great Plague. There is nothing like a little time on the farm to focus the mind.

Signature 

Posted: 04 June 2008 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Hume, Paine and Jefferson….....

Skepticism forever baby.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 21 July 2008 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2007-12-07

Nietzsche.

Signature 

- Jeff

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gLt73xSJlAM

Posted: 03 March 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-03

Epicurus! grin

Signature 

societyofepicurus.com

Posted: 14 March 2013 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2011-05-10
Beam - 03 June 2008 10:39 AM

My favorites are:

1. Aristotle: propositional Logic
2. Descartes: Cogito ergo sum
3. Newton: F=ma, Gravity
4. Kant = Categorical Imperative; Kant’s “Copernican Revolution”
5. Thermodynamics (Claudius = Enthropy; Boltzmann = Statistical thermodynamic; boltzmann distribution)
6. Frege (predicate logic)
7. Goedel (incompleteness theorems of logic)
8. Einstein = Special and General Theory of Relativity
9. Quantum Mechanics = Schroedinger (wave equation), Heisenberg (matrix equation, uncertainty principle), Pauli (indistinguishability of identical particles; Pauli Principle), Dirac (relativistic QM; Dirac equation)

I think those are my heroes, they are not listed according to their importance but according to history. I don’t know who to put on top. But, I think that these are the most important Western intellectuals.

Signature 

Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-incurred immaturity.

Posted: 15 March 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2011-04-26

Bruce Lee and Ayn Rand for the concept of an objective reality, seeking your own true will and a philosophical outlook that doesn’t/shouldn’t contradict itself.  All others are so inconsistent and contradictory from sentence to sentence.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed