Where I Find Spirituality: Science
Posted: 06 June 2008 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

A friend of mine posted this in his blog with the title “Where I Find Spirituality” and I couldn’t agree more.  It put a big smile on my face, so I had to share.  Enjoy!

Feynman: Little Things that Jiggle

[ Edited: 07 June 2008 04:21 AM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 07 July 2008 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

Wow, no posts in the Multimedia section in over a month.

And no one even bothered to look at this one, apparently.

Don’t you find joy in the continuous triumph of science over mystery?  Don’t you ever feel the desire to celebrate the liberation from delusion it delivers to us?

Do none of you share my sense of satisfaction in examining and celebrating the profound insights of Feynman and so many others?

[ Edited: 07 July 2008 08:14 AM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 07 July 2008 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Bravo! Could not agree more. The natural world is more inspirational than any dreamed up supernatural world in my view. Because it is real!

Truth is stranger than fiction. And more fun.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 07 July 2008 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
Oolon Colluphid - 06 June 2008 08:22 AM

A friend of mine posted this in his blog with the title “Where I Find Spirituality” and I couldn’t agree more.  It put a big smile on my face, so I had to share.  Enjoy!

Feynman: Little Things that Jiggle

I only wish Einstein was right that you COULD explain physics to a barmaid.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 07 July 2008 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20

Jefe

One can.  One just has to have the right vocabulary.  And one must consider the attention span of the intended audience.

“If you profess wear the badge “Teacher, Instructor, Professor, Educator” it is your obligation to understand the conduits of communication that are necessary to enlighten your audience. And…not every student can use the same conduit for enlightenment.” Neil deGrasse Tyson (Paraphrased)

The burden is on the teacher, instructor…etc. 
Most have done a dismal job.  Except Neil, of course, who seems to understand my point well.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 07 July 2008 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20

“Jefe”

Yes.  He does an admirable job of making hard science accessible.

He also has a great sense of humor.
My husband saw him at a conference (key note speaker) and said he is a rip.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 07 July 2008 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Interestingly burt and myself are discusssing this same topic in the Islam sector on a thread “Muslim women and virginity” - I don’t know how to transport the paticular post as a click on item, but the number of the posting is #39 on this page:

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/10133/P30/#118673

(I would add our discussion onto this thread if I knew how to do it, but??)

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 07 July 2008 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Jefe - 07 July 2008 04:55 PM

The structure of the Bible, Torah, Qur’an sort of lend themselves to this vision of a teacher/instructor adopting a language suitable to the target audience.  The problem may be viewed as the stagnation of that medium.  It does not easily allow for an expansion of human knowledge, nor does it allow new knowledge to be gracefully shoe-horned back into the bronze-age legacy left by the text.

I have to disagree with this as it pertains to the essential message of Christianity, which is 1) have faith in Jesus as the Son of God; and 2) love one another as Jesus loved us.  I don’t see how this restricts the expansion of human knowledge. Trusting in God to take care of your life and exhibiting active kindness to others do not seem to be stances that would inhibit learning or knowledge in any way.

Posted: 07 July 2008 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Bruce Burleson - 07 July 2008 06:34 PM

The structure of the Bible, Torah, Qur’an sort of lend themselves to this vision of a teacher/instructor adopting a language suitable to the target audience.  The problem may be viewed as the stagnation of that medium.  It does not easily allow for an expansion of human knowledge, nor does it allow new knowledge to be gracefully shoe-horned back into the bronze-age legacy left by the text.

I have to disagree with this as it pertains to the essential message of Christianity, which is 1) have faith in Jesus as the Son of God; and 2) love one another as Jesus loved us.  I don’t see how this restricts the expansion of human knowledge. Trusting in God to take care of your life and exhibiting active kindness to others do not seem to be stances that would inhibit learning or knowledge in any way.

Unfortunately Bruce, as you well know, you are an anomaly.  Most Christians simply lack your “essential message of Christianity” and believe in the “stagnation of the medium.” 

So if all Christians were of your persuasion, wanting only to find love in others and a simple faith that life is good (thru Jesus or whoever) we would not be in this situation would we?

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 07 July 2008 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Jefe - 07 July 2008 06:50 PM
Bruce Burleson - 07 July 2008 06:34 PM

You don’t see how it does. 
Many other christians have no problem extolling how science is incorrect and the bible should be taken literally.

Again, where is the disconnect?

I assume I don’t need to bring up the whole Heliocentricity circus?

No question, there are a lot of dumb Christians. I am interested in moving the faith away from the unnecessary antipathy that it has toward science (in many communities) and toward embracing knowledge and discovery as God-given blessings. The development of science and technology is actually a manifestation of the kingdom of God, IMO. We are becoming more like our Father - almost omniscient.

Posted: 07 July 2008 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20

“Bruce Burleson”

No question, there are a lot of dumb Christians. I am interested in moving the faith away from the unnecessary antipathy that it has toward science (in many communities) and toward embracing knowledge and discovery as God-given blessings.

I think Galileo tried this and he was killed. ohh

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 07 July 2008 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
lindajean - 07 July 2008 09:14 PM

“Bruce Burleson”

No question, there are a lot of dumb Christians. I am interested in moving the faith away from the unnecessary antipathy that it has toward science (in many communities) and toward embracing knowledge and discovery as God-given blessings.

I think Galileo tried this and he was killed. ohh

Actually, he spent his last years under house arrest and died at age 77, but your point is well taken.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed