2 of 8
My response to Sam’s book
Posted: 09 June 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04
mcalpine - 07 June 2008 03:07 PM

L&R;, if you are reading this, this is why there is no mention of the historic Jesus in the epistles. He is out of the picture, like the founder of a successful corporation voted out by the board of directors seeking a “new direction”.

I see your point MC…but that posit fascinates me.  Paul’s whole story and apostleship is based on the revealed Jesus Christ, yet, of all of his writings, he never mentions the historic Jesus’ ministry or never quotes him.  Without the historical Jesus tales of the gospels MC, what was the “new direction” Paul was taking?  Another curiosity about Paul, why did he write Romans 13?

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 11 July 2008 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23
Jeffrey_Brannen - 07 June 2008 11:55 AM

Dear Sam Harris,

To echo the opening of your book, you do not believe that the Bible is the word of God, that Jesus is the Son of God, and it does not matter whether you (or anyone else, for that matter) place your faith in Jesus Christ to find salvation after death. In fact, as an atheist, you believe this, not because it makes you feel good, but because you believe it is true – regardless of the emotional response involved.

[...]

I’m afraid you missed the point just as you left the starting gate.

Atheism is not about belief, or a belief system.  It’s simply failure to believe bullshit based on insufficient evidence.

It’s a lack of belief, not a belief in a lack.

[ Edited: 13 October 2008 05:49 AM by Oolon Colluphid]
 Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 16 November 2008 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2008-10-08

We are more concerned with abortion than genocide

Duh.

Abortion is, like, 4 Holocausts rolled into one!

Signature 

“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of the death penalty…” -Sam Harris
“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of embryonic stem cell research and abortion…” -Me

Jump through the Blackmun Hole!

Salt Creek has discovered the meaning of the first half of “Nulono”. Now, what language uses “nul” for zero?

Posted: 16 November 2008 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04
Nulono - 16 November 2008 02:46 PM

We are more concerned with abortion than genocide

Duh.

Abortion is, like, 4 Holocausts rolled into one!

Nulono - 10 November 2008 12:37 PM

STOP POSTING!!! I’M NOT READING ANY OF THESE!!!

The only reason I started this thread was to point out that pro-life atheists exist..

Look everybody - pro-life atheists exist!

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 16 November 2008 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-08

Darn straight.

Signature 

“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of the death penalty…” -Sam Harris
“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of embryonic stem cell research and abortion…” -Me

Salt Creek has discovered the meaning of the first half of “Nulono”. Now, what language uses “nul” for zero?

Posted: 16 November 2008 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02

OK, a pro-life atheist.  Not met one of these before (obviously led a sheltered life). 
Why are you pro life? 
When does “life” for humans begin for a pro-life atheist? 
How do you feel about and/or rationalise the 40% of pregnancies that end in spontaneous abortion?

Posted: 17 November 2008 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-08

1. Because of biology and philosophy.
2. The same as for all pro-lifers.
3. People die at all stages of life.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2008 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Nulono - 17 November 2008 12:42 PM

1. Because of biology and philosophy.

Do you have any ambition to convince other atheists to be pro-life? If so, it’s going to require more than 5-word answers or references to web-sites that you have read and agree with.

If you cannot articulate your own philosophy, you might as well just say:

1. Because I say so.

If you don’t write more, it’s either because you don’t communicate well enough in English to express yourself, and have a language you’d rather use, or you can’t express yourself well enough in any language. At any rate, so far, you’re just a noise.

On any forum but this one, you’d long since be suspended for spamming.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 17 November 2008 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-08
Salt Creek - 17 November 2008 01:03 PM

If so, it’s going to require more than ... references to web-sites that you have read and agree with.

...And you think I’d be less likely to agree with myself?

Anyway, I’m not trying to convince anyone; I just wanted to let my voice be heard. And, as you’d never before met a pro-life atheist, I’ve helped dispell a stereotype.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2008 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
Nulono - 17 November 2008 01:39 PM

[I just wanted to let my voice be heard.

Well, every crackpot with a website needs to raise his google ranking. Are you more famous than Sam Harris yet? If not, would you care to offer any explanation as to why not? You need to write your own URL more often, spammer.

Nope. A wee noise is all you are, not having figured out that you actually have to present your own ideas here and now.

[ Edited: 17 November 2008 08:57 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 17 November 2008 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-08

Even if I’m a crackpot, I still break the stereotype of pro-lifers being religious.

And sorry for being vague. I’m sick, and wanted to make it as sort as possible. l4l.org pretty much sums up my argument, too.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2008 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04
Nulono - 17 November 2008 01:39 PM
Salt Creek - 17 November 2008 01:03 PM

If so, it’s going to require more than ... references to web-sites that you have read and agree with.

...And you think I’d be less likely to agree with myself?

Anyway, I’m not trying to convince anyone; I just wanted to let my voice be heard.

I doubt you’ve convinced even yourself of this, never mind us; spammily reactivating years-dead threads to drop little stink bombs, besides being poor form, reveals quite an insecurity.

And, as you’d never before met a pro-life atheist,

Claiming to know things that you cannot possibly know is a sign of any combination of delusion and religious faith….

I’ve helped dispell a stereotype.

I’ll record that in the books, ‘k? Now run along.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 17 November 2008 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
Nulono - 17 November 2008 01:59 PM

Even if I’m a crackpot, I still break the stereotype of pro-lifers being religious.

But not, unfortunately, the stereotype of crackpots being religious. You don’t have to say “God” every ten minutes in order to be religious. Or obsessive-compulsive.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 17 November 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-08

What do I claim to know?

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2008 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
Nulono - 17 November 2008 02:14 PM

What do I claim to know?

You claim that the people you’ve been hammering with spam have never met a pro-life atheist. You cannot even write a coherent couple of sentences about what “pro-life” means, let alone what “atheist” means. You’re anti-abortion. Lots of people are, and for lots of different reasons. Yours is that you want to be famous for being a pro-life atheist. Crackpots never get famous. They get on the bus.

[ Edited: 17 November 2008 09:18 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

2 of 8

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed