Muslim women seeking hymen replacement
Posted: 10 June 2008 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-03-30

Here is an excerpt from the New York Times article:

. . . Like an increasing number of Muslim women in Europe, she had a hymenoplasty, a restoration of her hymen, the thin vaginal membrane that normally breaks during the first act of intercourse.

“In my culture, not to be a virgin is to be dirt,” said the student, perched on a hospital bed as she awaited surgery on Thursday. “Right now, virginity is more important to me than life.”

As Europe’s Muslim population grows, many young Muslim women find themselves caught between the freedoms that European society affords and the deep-rooted traditions of their parents’ and grandparents’ generations.

Gynecologists report that in the past few years, more Muslim women are asking for certificates of virginity to provide proof to others. That in turn has created a demand among cosmetic surgeons for hymen replacements, which, if done properly, they say, will not be detected and will produce tell-tale vaginal bleeding on the wedding night. The service is widely advertised on the Internet; medical tourism packages are available to countries like Tunisia where it is less expensive.

“If you’re a Muslim woman growing up in more open societies in Europe, you can easily end up having sex before marriage,” said Dr. Hicham Mouallem, who is based in London and performs the operation. “So if you’re looking to marry a Muslim and don’t want to have problems, you’ll try to recapture your virginity.”

Here is the full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/world/europe/11virgin.html?_r=1&hp;&oref;=slogin

Posted: 10 June 2008 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

Born again virgins! Hallelujah

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 10 June 2008 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
thinker35 - 10 June 2008 06:50 PM

Here is an excerpt from the New York Times article:

“. . . virginity is more important to me than life.”

So sad and twisted. Her very life takes a back seat to the condition of her hymen.

Of course, if she hadn’t gotten into that back seat…

I can only hope that she’s young and naive enough to not understand the implications of what she’s saying.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed