1 of 2
Muslim roots of the blues
Posted: 19 June 2008 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  885
Joined  2008-01-23

The music of famous American blues singers reaches back through the South to the culture of West Africa…

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/08/15/INGMC85SSK1.DTL

Posted: 19 June 2008 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Jack Shooter - 19 June 2008 11:10 PM

The music of famous American blues singers reaches back through the South to the culture of West Africa…

And from there back to Egypt…, and from there….

Posted: 19 June 2008 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-23
burt - 19 June 2008 11:57 PM

...back to Adam… and from there…

All good things begin with God.

Posted: 20 June 2008 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21
Jack Shooter - 20 June 2008 01:10 AM
burt - 19 June 2008 11:57 PM

...back to Adam… and from there…

Some support the idea that one cannot sing the blues unless one has lived the blues. Are you suggesting that Allah has, or had, the blues. I would not be surprised considering the mess that he and his followers have made of this world.

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 20 June 2008 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

Go forward with this, too.  From black American blues comes rock & roll. from rock & roll comes hard rock/heavy metal/slasher rock/gothic rock/grunge rock/satanic rock. I don’t know if you want to blame God for that.

Posted: 20 June 2008 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Bruce Burleson - 20 June 2008 10:29 AM

Go forward with this, too.  From black American blues comes rock & roll. from rock & roll comes hard rock/heavy metal/slasher rock/gothic rock/grunge rock/satanic rock. I don’t know if you want to blame God for that.

It’s a slippery slope indeed, Bruce.

Posted: 21 June 2008 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
Bruce Burleson - 20 June 2008 10:29 AM

Go forward with this, too.  From black American blues comes rock & roll. from rock & roll comes hard rock/heavy metal/slasher rock/gothic rock/grunge rock/satanic rock.

And Jack says:

..back to Adam… and from there…

So the blues are good and come from God. Got it.

But Bruce says:

From black American blues comes .........satanic rock.

So Allah (The Most Musical), is the inspiration for, and author of, satanic rock.

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 21 June 2008 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-23

Once again, the lack of ability to discern things amongst the posters on this forum proves incredible.  Bruce, I thought of all people here, surely you would be able to appreciate the point, being a believer in God.

Let me state the point again.  We praise God for all that is GOOD and attribute it to Him, and we attribute evil only to ourselves.  Satanic rock is NOT GOOD.  The blues, if we understand this form of music to be good, and certainly its merits are debatable, can be said, figuratively to be “from” God.

Posted: 21 June 2008 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11

I will agree that music, in general, is a gift from God. Particular types of music (anything by Britney Spears comes to mind) may not be.

Posted: 21 June 2008 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  950
Joined  2006-06-26
Bruce Burleson - 21 June 2008 11:19 PM

I will agree that music, in general, is a gift from God. Particular types of music (anything by Britney Spears comes to mind) may not be.

So, God only gave us music so we could sing songs to praise him?

[ Edited: 21 June 2008 07:45 PM by dlsmith]
 Signature 

“We have it recorded in a book called the Bible.”

To be blunt, the Bible records all manner of silly shit.

Posted: 21 June 2008 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
dlsmith - 21 June 2008 11:43 PM

I’m not sure how you got that from my post. God can give us things to enjoy just for their own sake. Britney Spears for example, should be seen (well, at least certain parts of her) and not heard. Music, generally, is a wonderful gift. There’s beauty all around - and our response to it does not only have to be expressed religiously.

Posted: 16 August 2008 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
Bruce Burleson - 22 June 2008 12:07 AM
dlsmith - 21 June 2008 11:43 PM

I’m not sure how you got that from my post. God can give us things to enjoy just for their own sake. Britney Spears for example, should be seen (well, at least certain parts of her) and not heard. Music, generally, is a wonderful gift. There’s beauty all around - and our response to it does not only have to be expressed religiously.

How does one distinguish which music is a “gift from God” and which is not? And how does one distinguish, in general, the gifts from God, from gifts from elsewhere? And how does one differentiate between the general curses and the curses from God? If God gives us “things to enjoy” does he also give us things that we will not enjoy? Why would God do this? Just wondering.

Stay Well
Wotansson

Posted: 17 August 2008 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

I decided to put Bruce’s theory to the test to see if all music is a gift from God. This guy pulled up next to me at a stop light with his windows down and the rap blasting sufficiently to shatter my windows and deflate my tires. So I rolled my window down and yelled over to him. “Is your music a gift from God?” He replied ” God damn you too, you honkey mo fo” and extended his middle finger to me. I guess he didn’t hear me too well over all that thumping.

Stay Well
Wotansson (with tongue in cheek)

Posted: 17 August 2008 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2006-12-26

The filthy hands of Muslims grab after anything beautiful created by other cultures, screaming “IT’s MINE!!”

This is a pathological trait among them.

Posted: 17 August 2008 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Wotansson - 17 August 2008 10:15 AM

I decided to put Bruce’s theory to the test to see if all music is a gift from God. This guy pulled up next to me at a stop light with his windows down and the rap blasting sufficiently to shatter my windows and deflate my tires. So I rolled my window down and yelled over to him. “Is your music a gift from God?” He replied ” God damn you too, you honkey mo fo” and extended his middle finger to me. I guess he didn’t hear me too well over all that thumping.Wotansson (with tongue in cheek)

Yeah, if you didn’t have “tongue in cheek” you would have had “bullet in brain” if that scenario was real. Music, in general, IMO, is a divine gift, but like all divine gifts, it can be abused. So, music is very good, but can be perverted and become very bad, and we have all heard examples of that. But, somebody likes it or you wouldn’t be hearing it.  There is no accounting for taste, so I’m not sure how to compare Mozart with Snoop Dogg. However, I still stand by the blanket statement that music is a divine gift.

Posted: 17 August 2008 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2006-10-20

Robert Johnson , considered the grandfather of Blues, is reputed to have sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his musical ability.  Not only that, but Blues was not accepted into mainstream American culture for many years because of its dubious source from the Black population.  Softened by time, Blues is now considered great music.  Why would God want to get involved with the origins of such a questionable form or music?  Wait, allow me to answer that - God works in mysterious ways.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed