2 of 2
Muslim roots of the blues
Posted: 17 August 2008 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Skipshot - 17 August 2008 01:56 PM

Robert Johnson , considered the grandfather of Blues, is reputed to have sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his musical ability.  Not only that, but Blues was not accepted into mainstream American culture for many years because of its dubious source from the Black population.  Softened by time, Blues is now considered great music.  Why would God want to get involved with the origins of such a questionable form or music?  Wait, allow me to answer that - God works in mysterious ways.

Well, we are always standing at the Crossroads, trying to flag a ride with someone. Sometimes we get picked up by angels, sometimes by demons. All kinds of frequencies out there. But the ability to create and play/sing music is, in and of itself, a good thing.

Posted: 31 August 2008 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2006-06-15

When ethnomusicologists talk about American blues coming from West Africa they are referring to the fact that the neutral third can be found in most west African musical systems. This pitch, halfway between a major and a minor third, is related to, though not necessarily derived from, the Arabic Rast maqqam. Rast also has a neutral sixth, which is not featured in west African pitch systems.

Such people are not talking about the experience of black slaves in America.

I would submit that it is the experience of thorough disempowerment, combined with a kind of indwelling hope, that mostly produced the music that we call American blues. The emotional experience is primary. Pitch systems are a secondary factor.

Signature 

Affiliation creates division. Friendship is better than membership.

Posted: 31 August 2008 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
mesomorph - 31 August 2008 06:19 PM

When ethnomusicologists talk about American blues coming from West Africa they are referring to the fact that the neutral third can be found in most west African musical systems. This pitch, halfway between a major and a minor third, is related to, though not necessarily derived from, the Arabic Rast maqqam. Rast also has a neutral sixth, which is not featured in west African pitch systems.

I would submit that it is the experience of thorough disempowerment, combined with a kind of indwelling hope, that mostly produced the music that we call American blues. The emotional experience is primary. Pitch systems are a secondary factor.

Good post. You are correct - only the experience of slavery and being ripped from your roots could produce the blues. Are you a musician?

By the way, it was the Dutch who started shipping slaves to America, so maybe we should give them credit for the blues. The Dutch are, on the whole, a totally immoral and mercenary lot.

[ Edited: 31 August 2008 02:51 PM by Ecurb Noselrub]

Posted: 31 August 2008 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Bruce Burleson - 31 August 2008 06:47 PM

[Are you a musician?

That’s how I earn my living.

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2008 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
mesomorph - 31 August 2008 06:51 PM

[Are you a musician?

That’s how I earn my living.

I’m about to PM you.

Posted: 31 August 2008 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Even better than the Blues:

Comedically edited clips set to beautifully “blasphemous” music… just might bring you closer to.. er, um… god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY

And for meso, in preparation of getting PMed by Bruce:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-826914263426142199

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 01 September 2008 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21
mesomorph - 31 August 2008 06:19 PM

Good post. You are correct - only the experience of slavery and being ripped from your roots could produce the blues. Are you a musician?

By the way, it was the Dutch who started shipping slaves to America, so maybe we should give them credit for the blues. The Dutch are, on the whole, a totally immoral and mercenary lot.

Say what? Dutch worse than Brits?

Stay Well
van Wotansson

Posted: 01 September 2008 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Wotansson - 01 September 2008 09:15 AM

Absolutely. The Dutch even ripped off the Native Americans when Peter Minuit bought Manhattan for 60 Dutch Guilders (somewhere around $100 in today’s money).  Bad, bad, bad people. No wonder God cursed them with such a small country filled with windmills, tulips and bad beer. (Eventually Sander will have to come to the aid of his countrymen).

Posted: 01 September 2008 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
isocratic infidel - 31 August 2008 10:31 PM

That was truly horrific, II, thanks.

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2008 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
mesomorph - 01 September 2008 01:03 PM
isocratic infidel - 31 August 2008 10:31 PM

That was truly horrific, II, thanks.

Meso - that was the first time I really looked at your website. You are a very talented man!

Posted: 01 September 2008 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Bruce Burleson - 01 September 2008 01:23 PM

Meso - that was the first time I really looked at your website. You are a very talented man!

Steady on!

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2008 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
Bruce Burleson - 01 September 2008 12:36 PM
Wotansson - 01 September 2008 09:15 AM

Absolutely. The Dutch even ripped off the Native Americans when Peter Minuit bought Manhattan for 60 Dutch Guilders (somewhere around $100 in today’s money).  Bad, bad, bad people. No wonder God cursed them with such a small country filled with windmills, tulips and bad beer. (Eventually Sander will have to come to the aid of his countrymen).

Sounds like a business transaction between agreeable parties to me. Better than killing them or driving them off, in any case. Rip-offs are thefts, by definition - not the case here. Apologize to the Dutch at once!
Also, being an expert on beer is not consistent with sound Christianity so govern thyself and be not drunk with strong drink. And besides, Heinekens is NOT a bad beer by any standard. Don’t like tulips? Poor soul.
To further you education on distinguishing rip-off, here is an example:
For a church or religion to tell a person that they most believe and contribute or face eternal torment in the flames. Now this is a rip-off.

Stay Well
van der Wotansson

[ Edited: 01 September 2008 01:31 PM by Wotansson]

Posted: 01 September 2008 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Wotansson - 01 September 2008 05:28 PM

Also, being an expert on beer is not consistent with sound Christianity so govern thyself and be not drunk with strong drink. van der Wotansson

Please read John 2 (miracle of water-to-wine) and notice that it was the BEST wine that Jesus made.

Expertise in fine libations has been
a Christian tradition for generations

And I seriously question your Dutch ancestry.

Posted: 01 September 2008 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
Bruce Burleson - 01 September 2008 06:19 PM
Wotansson - 01 September 2008 05:28 PM

Also, being an expert on beer is not consistent with sound Christianity so govern thyself and be not drunk with strong drink. van der Wotansson

Please read John 2 (miracle of water-to-wine) and notice that it was the BEST wine that Jesus made.

Expertise in fine libations has been
a Christian tradition for generations

And I seriously question your Dutch ancestry.

From the label of Rio Grande wheat bear, Albuquerque NM:

Brewed under the guidance of the Reverend Thomas C. Hart, Brewmaster, in celebration of the 208th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA). Rev. Hart reminds you “wherever four Presbyterians are gathered you are sure to find a fifth”

I wonder if consumption of “fifths” are not at the root of most Christian doctrine.
And you still owe an apology to the Dutch - you Dutch hater.

Stay Sober
Van der Wotanssson

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed