So long hippy dippy weather man
Posted: 22 June 2008 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

A sad day for those of us who loved that genuinely funny, brave, honest, authentic man, George Carlin.
The first time I saw him was on Johnny Carson doing his hippy dippy weather man bit and I followed his comedy ever since… an inspiration to all comics, and man who always told the truth whilst making you laugh your abs into a six-pack… we used to re-enact his routines as teens… I, for one, shall miss him dearly… he was, quite al frankenly, THE BEST.

For all who admired him as much as I, please share your memories and your favorite Carlin memories and or bits.

I hope the energy that was Mark Twain is passing him some tau pork chops and fine neutrino wine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

[ Edited: 22 June 2008 11:20 PM by isocratic infidel]
 Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 23 June 2008 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
isocratic infidel - 23 June 2008 03:16 AM

I hope the energy that was Mark Twain is passing him some tau pork chops and fine neutrino wine.

That’s funny, I was just commenting in another forum about how much I’d like to picture Carlin, Twain and H.L. Mencken having a fine old time somewhere.

Besides being wonderfully honest and funny, I always admired his Karl Kraus-ian way of approaching language. For him it wasn’t a tool - it was a medium.

He also inspired me by just getting better with age. Certainly his sobering up helped, but that knife just got sharper and he wielded it more deftly year after year.

Well done, Mr. Carlin.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 23 June 2008 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

mp: “That’s funny, I was just commenting in another forum about how much I’d like to picture Carlin, Twain and H.L. Mencken having a fine old time somewhere.”

Great minds think alike, aye?  wink

mp: “Besides being wonderfully honest and funny, I always admired his Karl Kraus-ian way of approaching language. For him it wasn’t a tool - it was a medium.”

Excellent observation. And you know what they say [actually, only McLuhan said it] :  the medium IS the message.

Although he did sober up, I don’t suppose he’d mind my raising a cold, big-ass beer in his honor tonight, do ya? 

Since it’s only you and me, mp, how goes the “comdedy” in Austin these days?

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 23 June 2008 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
isocratic infidel - 23 June 2008 03:16 AM

. . . For all who admired him as much as I, please share your memories and your favorite Carlin memories and or bits. . . .

Back in 1972 or so, I remember watching him perform at a Milwaukee Summerfest, then actually get dragged off the stage not by a vaudevillian hook, but by police. No one I was with had any idea what the hell was going on. I still don’t, as Carlin was by far the most gifted comic since the beginning of broadcasting/recording. Unfortunately, the cops weren’t laughing that night.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 23 June 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

Hey homunculus, it was probably because of he was doing his “seven dirty words you can’t say on TV” bit.
He was quite proud of his “footnote” in case law in favor of free speech. How fortunate you were able to see him in ‘72… I’m jealous… but then again, what the goddamn fucking shit in hell would I be doing in Milwaukee at age ten?  (well. I got two of the FCC forbidden words in there!)

For anyone interested, they’re re-playing an interview Art Bell did with him on Coast to Coast in the last hour of the program.

(I know, I know, give me shit for listening to Coast to Coast…. but I do like to laugh…. )

[ Edited: 25 June 2008 12:14 PM by isocratic infidel]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
isocratic infidel - 24 June 2008 02:53 AM

Hey homunculus, it was probably because of he was doing his “seven dirty words you can’t say on TV” bit.

I know about this controversy, but I still wonder at the foolishness of city officials, literally dragging someone off the stage for being brilliant if a bit provoking.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 24 June 2008 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.

Later, he added fart, turd, and twat.

Some words you can say depending on how they are used. For example, prick. You can prick your finger, but you can’t finger your prick.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 25 June 2008 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Carlin gave me some great laughs. I remember getting in trouble as a kid for listening to one of his albums with a friend. His influence lives on.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 25 June 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
isocratic infidel - 23 June 2008 10:37 PM

Since it’s only you and me, mp, how goes the “comdedy” in Austin these days?

Well, more have joined in - but since you asked I’m spending more time as musician than comedy guy these days - although I’ll be headed up to the Twin Cities Improv Festival this weekend.

Sorry for the interrupt; back to Carlin. I always loved “words that don’t belong together” like “military intelligence”.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 08 July 2008 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-05-23

I had the pleasure of attending George’s shows on several occasions and he’s always felt like a friend of mine.

I will miss him.

Signature 

“My ambition is to live to see all of Physics reduced to a formula so elegant and simple that it will fit easily on the front of a t-shirt.”

—Leon Lederman

Posted: 08 July 2008 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2008-05-22

I love how George was able to completely revise the Ten Commandments down to two (with one additional) commandments (in the process he wrote off the first three commandments as “spooky language”). George’s commandments are:

“Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than you.

Two is all you need; Moses could have carried them down the hill in his fuckin’ pocket. I wouldn’t mind those folks in Alabama posting them on the courthouse wall, as long as they provided one additional commandment:

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.”

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed