2 of 2
Where the Hell is Matt?
Posted: 25 July 2008 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Sander - 25 July 2008 03:59 PM
Salt Creek - 25 July 2008 01:51 PM

I agree. In Matt, we finally have a hero whose carbon footprint is as large as his ego.

*Sigh*

Shakes head and scratches floppy demonic rabbit ears.

It’s a compliment.

At least in Matt Harding’s case it seems to be.

I’m not sure it doesn’t apply to a lot of heroes in a less than complimentary manner though.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 25 July 2008 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

On another forum I had to explain the same basic comment I first made in this thread:

Gary:
I guess I’m dense.  I missed the part where this is in any way related to religion one way or the other.  Guess I’ll just go back to sleep. . . .

Evan:
Me, too! :dontknow:

It’s not really that tough Gary and Evan.

Notice the connection between the participants that’s so basic it transcends culture or race or religion? Get a sense of that at all?

I’m simply saying that’s the human bond that religion diminishes.

It’s not actually a tough point to understand at all, unless of course disagreement with that point also prevents understanding it, which isn’t unusual for iconoclastic ideas.

Others obviously picked up on it as well (from the FAQs on the WhereTheHellIsMatt website):

——————————————————————————————————————————————————
Q: Are you religious?

A: If you’re asking, you probably don’t want to hear the answer.

Come on. Didn’t dancing with all those people make you think about God?

I figure I’ll find out the answers to that stuff eventually. And if I don’t, I don’t. Either way, it doesn’t really affect how I behave.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion.” -Abraham Lincoln
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

A fine example of how religion diminishes this connection that’s truly all ours:
“Come on. Didn’t dancing with all those people make you think about God?”

The perception behind that question isn’t how wonderful and awesome people are, and how wonderful and awesome we are to each other, it’s that this awesome, profound sense of connection has to be something else, and I find that very sad, because as I said, this connection is where it’s at.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 29 July 2008 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
SkepticX - 26 July 2008 12:08 AM

(from the FAQs on the WhereTheHellIsMatt website):

Somebody please tell me: look at the yellow roadsign (the last but one of the photographs at the side of the FAQ) and tell me what it’s representing.

Is that a squid on the bottom?  What is the message? 

It’s so annoyingly confusing, I can’t even feel good about Matt and Sander when I think about it.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 29 July 2008 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
M is for Malapert - 29 July 2008 11:11 PM
SkepticX - 26 July 2008 12:08 AM

(from the FAQs on the WhereTheHellIsMatt website):

Somebody please tell me: look at the yellow roadsign (the last but one of the photographs at the side of the FAQ) and tell me what it’s representing.

Is that a squid on the bottom?  What is the message? 

It’s so annoyingly confusing, I can’t even feel good about Matt and Sander when I think about it.

I think it is telling swimmers to watch out for jellyfish, octopi, squidi, and other underwater nasties.

Posted: 30 July 2008 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
Bruce Burleson - 30 July 2008 12:56 AM

I think it is telling swimmers to watch out for jellyfish, octopi, squidi, and other underwater nasties.

But why is the swimsuit highlighted?  He looks like he’s wearing a codpiece.

Maybe you are supposed to wear armor in those waters (over the sensitive bits).

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 30 July 2008 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

From the Where the Hell Is Matt FAQ

Why didn’t you die from jellyfish stings in Palau?

There is a place in Palau called Jellyfish Lake. Long ago, the lake connected with the surrounding ocean, but at some point it got closed off. Without any predators to worry about, the lake’s jellyfish population evolved—oh, I’m sorry, “intelligently designiated”—to lose their stingers.

It’s a completely harmless jellyfish soup.

...well, not completely harmless. swimmers are advised not to dive deep below the surface, as the lake bottom is a toxic swill that can cause hydrogen sulfide poisoning. Drink it and you’ll die.

So don’t do that.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2008 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

Where the Hell is Salt Creek?

Here’s a fine plan.
Let’s all cough up a hundred bucks and we will send SC around the world with a camera.
In every exotic location he’ll make a 10 second video of him flipping off the local Shaman or woo-woo meister.

Should make a nice companion piece to dancing Matt.
Haven’t figured out the soundtrack for this little project though.
Suggestion be welcome.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 05 August 2008 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Sander - 05 August 2008 01:02 PM

Here’s a fine plan.

Ha! I can see right through that one. You’re just trying to get rid of me! Waaaaah! Nobody liiiiiiikes me!!!!

Sander - 05 August 2008 01:02 PM

Haven’t figured out the soundtrack for this little project though.
Suggestion be welcome.

“King of Pain”

[ Edited: 05 August 2008 09:50 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 05 August 2008 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

Hell, I can be a major pain in the ass if you’ll send me all over the world to piss off religionists and other sundry fuckwads!

I’ve got a few years before I can really pull off the curmudgeon/old codger look though ... so I can be SC’s understudy and heir!?

Eh?

I’d require high speed helicopter extraction out of places like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Iran and the like though (i.e. hook up to a line and fly out dangling underneath while you’re hoisted in).

Byron

Signature 

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed