The John Edwards scandal : my theory
Posted: 27 July 2008 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11

So the National Enquirer tabloid featured an article about John Edwards cheating on his wife- or have you heard ? If you haven’t that is probably to be expected.
First , the article says Edwards was caught trying to leave a hotel ( or was it motel ?) after visiting a young woman who had had his love-child . There is a lot of speculation on the subject, but basicly, that was it.
Strangely enough the scandal is not getting as much attention as is the media and it’s reaction - or better said LACK of reaction. This does’nt surprise me at all. During both the 2004 election year and this year the media’s lack of coverage for Edwards was shameful. For some reason he was ignored compared to the other candidates. I think this is one of the main reasons Kerry lost—it was because no one read or heard enough about Edwards to decide whether he was good enough for the job. You can’t say that he did’nt try hard enough; nobody ever worked harder and got so little for his efforts. This year the same thing was happening again, and he finally asked WHY the press was turning it’s back on him. Nobody had an answer. It was as though the media had a real grudge against him. The media can be such a deadly weapon ! Can any of you explain why this happened to Edwards ? I always thought he was a very attractive person and personality. I since then have changed my mind about him, but he was certainly attractive and interesting enough to deserve attention.

Most of the time the media jumps all over a scandalous story like this one , but there is an actual effort to ignore this story . Some may say it’s because he’s not that important a political figure anymore, but that’s nonsense. Think of all the other celebrity-type people who have gotten the spotlight for a scandal even though they had no special importance politicaly or otherwise. Here is a man who twice ran for very important place in politics, and there has also been talk of his perhaps being chosen for Obama’s vice pres.

I do have a perhaps weird theory this time, and it doesn’t speak well for Edwards. Considering his failure to get enough attention from the media, it could very well be possible that he and his managers arranged for that scandal to happen. They say that there’s no such thing as bad publicity…and strange as it may seem , that’s probably true.

But my main concern is the prejudice , indifference and ruthlessness of the media. They can make someone look horribly bad or wonderfully good on a whim. It’s not that I want Edwards to get battered by public scorn etc. but once again he is being ignored. It is hard to believe that the media has got such a conscience that it is trying to spare him any damage or pain. Ha ! They have had somwhat the same bias against McCain and given Obama a mountain of attention. GOOD attention. The Seattle Times has been esp. guilty that way .

Posted: 27 July 2008 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Could you imagine this coming out if Edwards had been the democratic nominee?!

James Dobson would have had either an orgaism, a stroke, or both!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 27 July 2008 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11
McCreason - 27 July 2008 11:20 AM

Could you imagine this coming out if Edwards had been the democratic nominee?!

James Dobson would have had either an orgaism, a stroke, or both!

Yeah, picture that ! But you aren’t saying you have any ideas about Edwards has been so smuggly ignored by the all-powered media ?

I wonder just how many citizens are even aware of that . The voters should realize that to be snobbed by the media is to be put out of commission . Your’e shucked by the muscle of the media and the talking heads it’s a death sentence—-but the question with Edwards is WHY ?

I won’t specify names right now, but I’ve seen the media crucify certain people and lift others to glory.  Usually the subjects do not really diserve it…praise or rebuttle .

And you can’t deny that the media is painting the roseiest( rosey-est ) picture of Obama as possible. They make McCain as ugly and old and wrong as possible. McCain is none of those things as far as I can see. He’s not really “old” yet- today the 70s are yesterday’s 50s . “Old” is 80s and 90s . My grandfather was sharp as a needle and functioning very well as a productive citizen and human when he was 85 . McCain is no more “wrong ” than Obama , he certainly is not ugly—he’s always been a good-looking man.
But the press etc.IS wrong to do that and the cartoonists are killers.

Posted: 27 July 2008 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Dee - 27 July 2008 05:17 PM

the media is painting the roseiest( rosey-est ) picture

Rosiest. Zero for three ain’t bad, if we count making verb and subject agree. Are you brain-dead, or something, Dee?

Dee - 27 July 2008 05:01 AM

So the National Enquirer tabloid ...

I rest my case…

[ Edited: 27 July 2008 01:36 PM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 27 July 2008 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11
Salt Creek - 27 July 2008 05:31 PM
Dee - 27 July 2008 05:17 PM

the media is painting the roseiest( rosey-est ) picture

Rosiest. Zero for three ain’t bad, if we count making verb and subject agree. Are you brain-dead, or something, Dee?

So the National Enquirer tabloid ...

I rest my case…

This post of mine isn’t about me and my writing idiosyncrasies , grammar or the like - it’s about John Edwards and the media. Or haven’t you noticed ? But if you must get self-righteous and snobbish about writing styles etc. etc. then just remember this : it is the thought that counts. At least I don’t write a book in Chinese in my posts like some self-defined intellectuals on this site.  It doesn’t take an interpreter to help you understand what I’m saying . Some people here just go on and on using jargon and 1001 statistics. You know what ?  I asked my sister, who is a high school teacher ,what she thought of my writing and she said it is ” perfectly alright to have your own style “. I like my style. That’s why I use it.

Also :everyone here makes spelling mistakes. You too , Salty. Don’t let it take top priority in your waking -hours brain ! In other words, don’t be a nit-picker .

NOW : can you say something about the media and Edwards etc. ?

BTW - It has been so many moons ago that I have looked at or bought the “National Enquirer ” that I would not remember exactly how it is spelled.  Maybe YOU never realized that “enquire” and “inquire ” are one of the same .  What’s the matter with you ? Are you brain-dead ?  I rest my case.

Posted: 27 July 2008 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

Do you think Dee, that Edwards had this story planted to get attention? That’s ridiculous. Why would he want to be featured on FOX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BVONWQze_4

the last thing any democrat wants is to be is a feature story on Hannity & Colmes. He is rumored to be a possible cabinet choice for Obama if he’s elected.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 27 July 2008 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Dee: “But if you must get self-righteous and snobbish about writing styles etc. etc. then just remember this : it is the thought that counts.”

Dee Dahling,
Grammatical errors and misspellings are not a “writing style” and if you want people to take your ideas seriously, it’s a good idea to care about how you express those ideas. That said, I’ve noticed that you have been doing much better than previously… and your passion cannot be denied. That also said, I’m glad your sister isn’t teaching at my son’s high school.
I would recommend that you keep an AP style book and a dictionary handy. Great inventions, Dee, and once you get those down, you can invent your own “style” of writing.
Also, you don’t have a theory here, you have an opinion. Leave the theories to scientists and philosophers.
As to S.C.‘s second comment: I think the Salted one was merely pointing out that you need to consider the source. The National Enquirer is considered yellow journalism by the media you so seem to despise and mistrust. 

the rab: “Do you think Dee, that Edwards had this story planted to get attention? That’s ridiculous. Why would he want to be featured on FOX?

the last thing any democrat wants is to be is a feature story on Hannity & Colmes. He is rumored to be a possible cabinet choice for Obama if he’s elected.”

Love your point rab. The new avatar though…  not so much wink

(you’re doin’ it just to bug me aren’t ya?!  cheese )

And finally, so I don’t get accused of dismissing the topic by Dee: Do you really think that Edwards would risk getting caught doing something that could hurt his recovering wife’s feelings? IOW, it’s not beyond the sleazy techniques of a tabloid to use body doubles.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 28 July 2008 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11
isocratic infidel - 28 July 2008 03:12 AM

Dee: “But if you must get self-righteous and snobbish about writing styles etc. etc. then just remember this : it is the thought that counts.”

Dee Dahling,
Grammatical errors and misspellings are not a “writing style” and if you want people to take your ideas seriously, it’s a good idea to care about how you express those ideas. That said, I’ve noticed that you have been doing much better than previously… and your passion cannot be denied. That also said, I’m glad your sister isn’t teaching at my son’s high school.
I would recommend that you keep an AP style book and a dictionary handy. Great inventions, Dee, and once you get those down, you can invent your own “style” of writing.
Also, you don’t have a theory here, you have an opinion. Leave the theories to scientists and philosophers.
As to S.C.‘s second comment: I think the Salted one was merely pointing out that you need to consider the source. The National Enquirer is considered yellow journalism by the media you so seem to despise and mistrust. 

the rab: “Do you think Dee, that Edwards had this story planted to get attention? That’s ridiculous. Why would he want to be featured on FOX?

the last thing any democrat wants is to be is a feature story on Hannity & Colmes. He is rumored to be a possible cabinet choice for Obama if he’s elected.”

And finally, so I don’t get accused of dismissing the topic by Dee: Do you really think that Edwards would risk getting caught doing something that could hurt his recovering wife’s feelings? IOW, it’s not beyond the sleazy techniques of a tabloid to use body doubles.

That Edwards and his political staff would arraign this is not ridiclous at all ! Well, let me back up a minute : yes, it is ridiculous to us , but probably not the people who are desperately trying to get Edwards some spotlight ! It’s hard to believe, but the idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity makes sense in a way. Remember the old saying “out of sight , out of mind”. Celebrities do naughty things just to stay in sight .

Still, you posters here seem to be stumped by my questions. It is true that Edwards got strange treatment by the media in that they tried to avoid giving him attention. Both this year and the last election year. It IS a mystery and it’s not just an opinion either. What did they have against him ? Could it be that Kerry ended up thinking he was a bad choice and saw to it that Edwards was in the background as much as possible ?
  And it ticks me that the media has such control over things . If they are fair they would not be so disgusting . And why does evryone use FOX as an example of bias when MSNBC is just as bad ? . Oberman and Abrams ( I have an idea that is spelled wrong ) stink that way. They make an unabashed attempt to make McCain a laughing stock and a lousy choice.

Much of my errors in writing comes from a bad memory , and I know I love to over-use dashes and colons . I learned to write in high school and have forgotten that a long time ago. Geez- I’m such an imperfect writer ..I’m so sorry I make you suffer so !

And about theories Infidel :  are you kidding ? I was born with a theory between my ears .  Let’s drop the subject .

Posted: 28 July 2008 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26
isocratic infidel - 28 July 2008 03:12 AM

Well, I found an avi I liked even better. Once I got it on the board I did think of what you would think. Ooooo….iso’s gonna love this one!  LOL

Dee wrote:

Still, you posters here seem to be stumped by my questions. It is true that Edwards got strange treatment by the media in that they tried to avoid giving him attention. Both this year and the last election year. It IS a mystery and it’s not just an opinion either. What did they have against him ? Could it be that Kerry ended up thinking he was a bad choice and saw to it that Edwards was in the background as much as possible ?
And it ticks me that the media has such control over things . If they are fair they would not be so disgusting . And why does evryone use FOX as an example of bias when MSNBC is just as bad ? . Oberman and Abrams ( I have an idea that is spelled wrong ) stink that way. They make an unabashed attempt to make McCain a laughing stock and a lousy choice.

Yes, Edwards did get shoddy treatment by all the major nutworks during the primaries, but so did all the other third tier candidates. The one I supported got kicked out of the debates by the media, so yes I understand what you’re saying.

Although I think John Kerry had second thoughts about Edwards on the ticket in 04, I don’t think he had anything to do with the coverage Edwards got. Hell, even the Clintons couldn’t seem to control how much attention Hillary got!

As for MSNBC being bias, have you ever watched Morning Joe with Joe Scarborough? You want to hear some good news about McSame? Tune it in. As a double bonus, you can hear all about how the media is unfair to him and how the media love Obama and how arrogant Obama is, etc.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

National Enquirer-(insert sarcasm here)a well respected news source with a glowing history of veracity . Apparently, even the Enquirer is giving the Edwards story bottom billing below LeBeouf’s suspected DUI, the firmness of Keira’s breasts, and who a 74-year-old actress thinks should assume her old role.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

I liked this from their front page:

Fox News has independently confirmed the NATIONAL ENQUIRER’S exclusive report about John Edwards’ late-night visit to the Beverly Hilton hotel earlier this week.

So that makes it offical folks! FOX says its true.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2008 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11
rab - 28 July 2008 12:26 PM

I liked this from their front page:

Fox News has independently confirmed the NATIONAL ENQUIRER’S exclusive report about John Edwards’ late-night visit to the Beverly Hilton hotel earlier this week.

So that makes it offical folks! FOX says its true.  LOL

In a way, FOX’s tattling on him is actually flattering ! I mean-as weird as it may seem to acknowledge it and talk about it at least gives Edwards some importance. The greatest insult of all is indifferance.

Jay Leno sure has been talking about it ! He has mentioned it for three nights now .

Well none of you really understand why the media snubs Edwards so, do you ? Not really !  But it’s as though they absolutely hate him ! Their prejudice is shameful !

Posted: 29 July 2008 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I do have a perhaps weird theory this time, and it doesn’t speak well for Edwards. Considering his failure to get enough attention from the media, it could very well be possible that he and his managers arranged for that scandal to happen. They say that there’s no such thing as bad publicity…and strange as it may seem , that’s probably true.

I’d guess the opposite—that he had to put enough effort into keeping this scandalous behavior back stage it kept him from doing what he needed to really get media attention in the past.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 01 August 2008 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05

So in Dee’s world, if the media like a politician they would give MORE coverage to an affair, knowing that said politician’s wife is dying from cancer?

That’s insane.  That’s just truly nuts.

And I’m sure your high school teacher sister was very supportive when she told you “it’s okay to have your own style of writing.”  I’m sure she used the same level, calm tone of voice and measured diction she has instructed her children to use when they cannot avoid having another conversation with aunt Dee.

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed