What is the spiritual significance of the song “Surfin’ Bird”?
Posted: 31 July 2008 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

For those who have heard this song ‘Surfin Bird’, what is your opinion of its spiritual significance ?

Are there any other songs that come to your mind with the same significance ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

[ Edited: 01 August 2008 01:14 AM by Ecurb Noselrub]

Posted: 01 August 2008 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

I can’t be sure but it seems to hint at either the ethereal nature of broken dreams or the absence of existential angst in Argentinean disc jockeys.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 01 August 2008 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08
Bruce Burleson - 31 July 2008 08:42 PM

For those who have heard this song ‘Surfin Bird’, what is your opinion of its spiritual significance ?

Are there any other songs that come to your mind with the same significance ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

As far as I can make out, it’s a euphemism for flipping the middle finger… “when the bird is a word; b-b-b-b-bird is a word”—it was an indirect and rather comical way of saying “fuck off” to the establishment without directly saying fuck off. I think it was an inside joke that “the squares” and the “suits” or “the parents” didn’t get… and evidently, some still don’t get. That fast-paced, up-beat jaunty sound deflects the subversiveness of the song.

No “spiritual significance” at all, unless one counts its legacy to the “spirit” of rock and roll and punk music.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 01 August 2008 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgeuUAzThto

This is just so surreal.

Retro Bollywood Zorro Surf Trash……

Enjoy.

Signature 

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 02 August 2008 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Sander - 01 August 2008 02:21 PM

I can’t be sure but it seems to hint at either the ethereal nature of broken dreams or the absence of existential angst in Argentinean disc jockeys.

Hellow from Kansas City. They got some crazy little women here.

Actually, Surfin’ Bird represents a watershed transitional form between the Kerouac/Ginsberg Beat Generation’s rejection of post WWII materialism and the emergent Southern Californian beach nihilism. It gives expression to the revelatory nothingness of linguistic repetition. I’m surprised that you didn’t catch this.

Posted: 02 August 2008 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Sander - 02 August 2008 03:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgeuUAzThto

This is just so surreal.

Retro Bollywood Zorro Surf Trash……

Enjoy.

Those Indians. Pretty soon they’ll be running all our motels.

Posted: 07 August 2008 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2006-11-03

Sometimes, this forum gets so heavy.  It’s nice to take a little break and watch and listen to videos of goofy songs.  Hi Bruce and Sander.  Thanks for the diversion.  In the first video, of the old vinyl ‘45 of ‘Surfin’ Bird’ I got such a blast of nostalgia, because when I was little we had that exact record player.  I remeber the smell of it.  It smelled like slightly overheated electronic components.  I don’t think those things had very good ventilation.  And I remember the scratchy sound like amplified sandpaper that came on just before you heard the music. 

As for the spiritual connotations, or even cultural significance of ‘Surfin’ Bird’ ... well, you got me there.  I can say with the authority of primary experience that it’s a good song to shake your ass to—and that can be spiritual, I guess…

As for Jaan Pannechaan Ho (Sp.?)  Wow!  The choreography!  The masks!  The exultant ass-shaking!  Practically a religious experience!  I think the band Outkast may have got their inspiration for ‘Hey-Yaa’ (Shake it like a polaroid picture…) from this piece.  Also, no matter how hard Austin Powers tried, he could not equal this level of camp. 

It just goes to show that there is as much variety in entertainment as there is in religion.  There are usually fewer fatalities with dancing, though.

Posted: 07 August 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
woofy - 07 August 2008 03:37 PM

Sometimes, this forum gets so heavy.  It’s nice to take a little break and watch and listen to videos of goofy songs.  Hi Bruce and Sander.  Thanks for the diversion.  In the first video, of the old vinyl ‘45 of ‘Surfin’ Bird’ I got such a blast of nostalgia, because when I was little we had that exact record player.  I remeber the smell of it.  It smelled like slightly overheated electronic components.  I don’t think those things had very good ventilation.  And I remember the scratchy sound like amplified sandpaper that came on just before you heard the music. 

As for the spiritual connotations, or even cultural significance of ‘Surfin’ Bird’ ... well, you got me there.  I can say with the authority of primary experience that it’s a good song to shake your ass to—and that can be spiritual, I guess…

As for Jaan Pannechaan Ho (Sp.?)  Wow!  The choreography!  The masks!  The exultant ass-shaking!  Practically a religious experience!  I think the band Outkast may have got their inspiration for ‘Hey-Yaa’ (Shake it like a polaroid picture…) from this piece.  Also, no matter how hard Austin Powers tried, he could not equal this level of camp. 

It just goes to show that there is as much variety in entertainment as there is in religion.  There are usually fewer fatalities with dancing, though.

So good to see you posting again, she-who-barks-magnificently.

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2008 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

Jeez Sander-man, flattery will get you everywhere, but if you just want to get into woofy’s pants, there are easier ways you know.  wink

[ Edited: 07 August 2008 06:18 PM by isocratic infidel]
 Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 07 August 2008 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-03

I don’t know, infidel.  Although my mind and my words wander freely over the internet, my “pants” as it were, belong to the mightiest hunter in the village, to whom I have been married…  hold on, let me count… ‘86…‘06… coming up on 22 years now.  So, alas for Sander, my pants are not available.  I expect that a man of his intelligence and sincerity shouldn’t have too much trouble finding eligible pants to slip into.  grin  Although… on this forum… it just doesn’t seem like a cruisin’ for chicks kind of place. But it does offer its entertainments.

And thank you, Sander.  It’s nice to back.  In all honesty, this forum gets a little beyond me sometimes.  I’m still nursing the headache that I got reading through all that panpsychism shi..  uh, stuff.  (I think Salt Creek has it pretty well taken care of…  grin

Posted: 07 August 2008 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

All apologies woofy, I was just doin’ the “big get even” on the Sander-man in this thread:

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/10448/

Didn’t intend for it to make any indirect or direct implications about you and your pants…which I’m sure you look lovely in… oh shee-yit, I’m diggin’ a hole… maybe it’s time to nix the “be like a bonobo” sig…

Signature 

Posted: 07 August 2008 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
woofy - 07 August 2008 10:40 PM

(I think Salt Creek has it pretty well taken care of…

The “stuff”, as you call it, is having its very own little renaissance, over in this thread.

Take a gander:

EDR - 07 August 2008 06:12 PM

workinprogress Posted: 07 August 2008 01:04 PM

Same goes for you EDR; if you want an answer to your opening question, the supernatural may be highly unlikely, since our universe is being discovered to be a vast, empty wasteland of suboptimal design, and it’s a fluke that there are any planets capable of supporting intelligent life—not to mention that our universe is expanding at an increased rate of acceleration—our entire universe will eventually die a heat death in the distant future. Our big, empty, mortal universe is out of synch with every religious cosmology I have heard of, but is that enough to prove there is no designer, to the people who want to believe in one?

Thank you for the additional info on oxytocin… I love to learn and that really perked me after the earlier agruments.

The honest response from me on the above quote is this:
I’m not looking to change anyones mind in any way. To prove any god’s existence in many ways is a sort of ‘futile’ effort. But that’s the beauty of Theological/Philosophical reasoning. It’s a lateral thinking prosses based on one’s own expiriences and beliefs. Faith in gods and religion is a very good thing when not taken to the extremes. This is a problem which many on all sides seem to point out, for various reasons and in various contexts. I’m afraid it’s a war that may never end.
Whether gods exist is not really what I’m trying to get to. It’s when things get taken out of the context which they were written that bugs me. It can be said that the rising of the sun is personal proof of any god. I actually like this perspective, it’s honest and shows an admiration for the world we live in. A man by the name of Carl Segan actually said many such things in the context of ‘the beauty and complexity of the scientific universe’. This man was an athiest, but he had a respect and love of all things in the universe, equal to that of any christian, cotholic, muslum, ect… But he never took anything out of context, he never accused religous people of being wrong in thier beliefs, and he only presented proven facts. If it wasn’t proven he put it in the context of “scientists believe” or “we think”. Taking scientific facts out of context is soiling the reputations of men and women like this. People that work hard and long to find the truth in the world we live. That’s wrong in my opinion.

Does this help you any?

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 07 August 2008 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-03

Salt Creek—If you’re willing to send me a large bottle of Tylenol, I’m willing to jump back into that thread…  ‘til then, I’m perfectly content discussing ‘Surfin’ Bird’ and cruisin’ for atheist beefcake…  (just kidding, guys…)

Infidel—I’m not offended by the remark you made.  Apologies accepted.  And I did, at one time, make a most enticing figure in my pants… but I’m a little older now, and after four kids… well…  now my pants have elastic stretchy waists if you know what I mean.  My ass is no longer beautiful, and my hair is getting grey… but my heart is full of love.  grin

And although I cannot invite any of you charming forum studs into my pants, I do welcome you into my heart.  I know that seems like a corny and ridiculous thing to say, but I mean it.  I like you guys.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed