Should John Edwards be forgiven ?
Posted: 12 August 2008 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11

Should we, the public, excuse and pardon John Edwards ?  Shall we give him a chance to be the John Edwards he was ( or thought he was) before this fit hit the shan ? Which is the true John Edwards ? Was he really as differant as the man they are gossiping about ? Has he changed that much—or is he still the politician and “man of the people” with a fetching way who stands up for the common working class , so to speak, ?

Posted: 12 August 2008 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
Dee - 12 August 2008 06:14 AM

Should we, the public, excuse and pardon John Edwards ?

Why is that our job? Seems to me it’s up to his wife whether or not to pardon him.

The deeper question is, why do we, the public, give a sh*t?

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 12 August 2008 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Does anyone but John Edwards and his family really give a half a fuck?

Should anyone else?

Really?

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 12 August 2008 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

Since I don’t watch TV anymore and generally don’t give a crap about anything related to this freak-fest commonly referred to as American politics it would be better if I kept my mouth shut about this.
However, it is just too much fun to hold strong opinions on matters I know nothing about, so here goes.

Man who smiles perpetually and who looks like a used-car salesman runs for office on a platform consisting of caring deeply for his fellow humans.

Wife of said salesman is dying of cancer and he thinks this a good time to start fucking another woman.

Should the public ‘forgive’ him ?..... That is a non-question.

Should the public ever vote this hypocrite into any type of higher office?.................Hell no.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 12 August 2008 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-12-04
mpbrockman - 12 August 2008 06:48 AM
Dee - 12 August 2008 06:14 AM

Should we, the public, excuse and pardon John Edwards ?

Why is that our job? Seems to me it’s up to his wife whether or not to pardon him.

The deeper question is, why do we, the public, give a sh*t?

HEAR HEAR.

I made my thoughts on all of this clear in Lindas thread in the politics section. Anyone who wants my opinion can read it there.

Signature 

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

Posted: 13 August 2008 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
Jefe - 12 August 2008 09:07 PM

But he fits the “required skillset” for a high-level politician to a “T”.

He has perfect hair and big white teeth. He publicly stands by his ailing partner while giving the shaft to a secret goomah behind closed doors. He has mastered the political dance-except for the part about not getting caught. On one hand, I don’t much care about the private lives of politicians. On the other hand, does this not say something about his judgment and honesty?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 13 August 2008 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

Damn it Jefe! You are absolutely right; but let me keep a shred of idealism and fantasy. Religionists have their woo woo. Us atheists just have to be so dog-gone realistic. I could vote for Scratch if she/he wasn’t a Canadian. Or….does Scratch have some bones in the closet that The Enquirer has not revealed?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 13 August 2008 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

At least race will not likely be an issue since they are black and white. You better keep their genders quiet so that does not become an issue. You don’t want anyone complaining that they do not want a bitch in the Oval Office. Are you sure that Scratch hasn’t been sniffing any stray tail? And uh…the Calgary thing might be a problem…eh?

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2008 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  585
Joined  2007-10-11
Jefe - 12 August 2008 09:07 PM
Sander - 12 August 2008 09:49 AM

Since I don’t watch TV anymore and generally don’t give a crap about anything related to this freak-fest commonly referred to as American politics it would be better if I kept my mouth shut about this.
However, it is just too much fun to hold strong opinions on matters I know nothing about, so here goes.

Man who smiles perpetually and who looks like a used-car salesman runs for office on a platform consisting of caring deeply for his fellow humans.

Wife of said salesman is dying of cancer and he thinks this a good time to start fucking another woman.

Should the public ‘forgive’ him ?..... That is a non-question.

Should the public ever vote this hypocrite into any type of higher office?.................Hell no.

But he fits the “required skillset” for a high-level politician to a “T”.

First, Edwards is not unique when it comes to cheating on a woman he’s supposed to love . I’d say at least half the politicians and celerities do . So maybe that makes him a little less outstanding as a wayward man.

Then does it matter what the wife is like ? I never d\id like Elizabeth Edwards; I think she’s more conceited than he is and she is green with envy at his sucess and attention. She’s also a hen-pecking type of wife. About her cancer : she didn’t HAVE to go so public with it- at least not right away . But I think she wanted attention and getting sympathy from the whole world was her grandeur and kudos - why shouldn’t she make a big show of it ? That was disgusting.

She was always elbowing her way into his speeches - she had to but in and shoot off her mouth .

For all we know she was a cold fish who made him feel he was inadequate .

Also, that Hunter woman, as I understand since I’ve been reading about her was very interested in him and seduced I doubt he chased her ! She has a reputation for being quite a tart, and admitts she thought he was a great guy . I really think she persued him.

Doesn’t anyone here like Edwards ?  I know he is one of those candidates that people love to hate. Now they have a REAL good reason to label him as a complete jerk . He makes one mistake and suddenly he’s a no-good bastard. I think his career is over and it’s a real sad tragedy .He worked so hard ! He hung on in spite of odds against him ! No one ever worked harder and got so little for it .

And as for the “used car salesman ”  remark—aren’t you and most people here all hot and bothered about stereotyping ?  To call a man a used car salesman is to imply that used car salesmen are always jerks etc. Just what does a car salesman look like ?  The truth is,he looks like any other sales employee. Big, little , young, older, handsome, plain,  etc. etc. Iv’e heard Mitt Romney discribed as a car salesman also. That’s not fair.  And even if he did look or act like that kind of person, is that a good reason to reject him as a presidential candidate ?

Posted: 14 August 2008 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
Dee - 14 August 2008 05:42 AM

First, Edwards is not unique when it comes to cheating on a woman he’s supposed to love . I’d say at least half the politicians and celerities do . So maybe that makes him a little less outstanding as a wayward man.

Correct. He is a lying douchebag among many.

And as for the “used car salesman ”  remark—aren’t you and most people here all hot and bothered about stereotyping ?

If it looks like a phony fuckwit and acts like a phony fuckwit then it probably is .....you guessed it.

To call a man a used car salesman is to imply that used car salesmen are always jerks etc.

They are.

Just what does a car salesman look like ?  The truth is,he looks like any other sales employee. Big, little , young, older, handsome, plain,  etc. etc. Iv’e heard Mitt Romney discribed as a car salesman also. That’s not fair.  And even if he did look or act like that kind of person, is that a good reason to reject him as a presidential candidate ?

I’ll rephrase it for you Dee.

Talk is cheap.
Seeing someone go through a difficult time is a good way to find out what his character is really like.

In the case of smiling John, now we know.

A lying, self-centered asshole.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 14 August 2008 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

Dee, Are you really shedding any tears for Johnny? This is admittedly prejudicial, but I have diminished sympathy for someone who made their fortune via questionable medical malpractice lawsuits and lawsuits against the American Red Cross. Also, regardless of how many people do it, if you promise your partner that you will be monogamous and you are not, then you are a liar and a cheater. Perhaps John never promised fidelity to his wife. I don’t know, and do not care to know their personal agreements. Right or wrong, I am not losing any sleep over Johnny’s public embarrassment.

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed