2 of 2
Raw Experience
Posted: 16 August 2008 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

“Bubba Rahj Fubar”

So many lines of meaning coalesce in this title that it defies description. Arkansas Hillbilly meets Indian Guru meets Military Acronym. The possibilities opened by such intertwining of motifs is endless. The search for the Grand Unifying Theory and the Theory Of Everything has come to an end.

Posted: 17 August 2008 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
homunculus - 16 August 2008 01:07 PM
Salt Creek - 16 August 2008 12:21 PM

In the marketplace of ideas, many of them are “bazaar”.

Damn. I hate it when I make a glaring error in public. But I’d really hate it if no one were willing to point it out. Get the hint, BV?

I get that you think I am wrong, not only wrong but promoting dangerous ideas that ought to be consigned to the dustbin of history.  As they say, that’s what makes horse races.  You’ll have to wait for my book to come out to write a really scathing review.  That will give me a chance to defend myself and sell more copies.  wink  Maybe I’ll invite Salt Creek to write a blurb for the book jacket.

Posted: 17 August 2008 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-17
Bruce Burleson - 16 August 2008 03:00 PM

“Bubba Rahj Fubar”

So many lines of meaning coalesce in this title that it defies description. Arkansas Hillbilly meets Indian Guru meets Military Acronym. The possibilities opened by such intertwining of motifs is endless. The search for the Grand Unifying Theory and the Theory Of Everything has come to an end.

Not even close to TOE, need at least Bubba Raj Fubar O’Hare de Marcos

Posted: 17 August 2008 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29
burt - 17 August 2008 03:58 PM

I get that you think I am wrong, not only wrong. . .

Not wrong, burt. Not at all. Just mistaken.

. . . but promoting dangerous ideas that ought to be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Now you’re on to something.

As they say, that’s what makes horse races.  You’ll have to wait for my book to come out to write a really scathing review.  That will give me a chance to defend myself and sell more copies.

If I thought my commentary stood a chance of being read by more than the handful who might look at what I write here, I’d put something together. But as you know, I’m not qualified to critique one word of what you’re writing, as I have no credentials whatsoever. But having said that, I probably won’t object to more than just a few of your points, depending on how thoroughly you attempt to explain those few.

Should I be preordering now? What publisher are you working with? How long before we get to see it?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 18 August 2008 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-17
homunculus - 17 August 2008 11:37 PM

I get that you think I am wrong, not only wrong. . .

Not wrong, burt. Not at all. Just mistaken.

. . . but promoting dangerous ideas that ought to be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Now you’re on to something.

As they say, that’s what makes horse races.  You’ll have to wait for my book to come out to write a really scathing review.  That will give me a chance to defend myself and sell more copies.

If I thought my commentary stood a chance of being read by more than the handful who might look at what I write here, I’d put something together. But as you know, I’m not qualified to critique one word of what you’re writing, as I have no credentials whatsoever. But having said that, I probably won’t object to more than just a few of your points, depending on how thoroughly you attempt to explain those few.

Should I be preordering now? What publisher are you working with? How long before we get to see it?

In my dreams, next Christmas; taking reality into account, quien sabe?  Have to fit it into an already heavy workload so may have to stop watching tv in the evenings.  (Wait, I’ll save Salt Creek the effort of responding to that—no tv will lead my mind to recover from its hazy ways and I’ll realize that it’s all bubba raj fubar o’hare de marco).  grin

Posted: 18 August 2008 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

What publisher are you working with?

My bet is that with the idiosyncratic kind of stuff Burt is trying to peddle, it will be a vanity press. I could be unpleasantly surprised. He better not tell us which publisher it is; I might write a pre-publication review that would kill their enthusiasm, if it is not Burt paying them to publish it.

By the way, the “Rahj” in “Bubba Rahj Fubar” is intentional. I want it pronounced to rhyme with “Dodge”. As in, “get outa Dodge”.

Now I have a new candidate for The Name: Yehuda Thunkett!

[ Edited: 18 August 2008 12:00 PM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 18 August 2008 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-17
Salt Creek - 18 August 2008 02:28 PM

What publisher are you working with?

My bet is that with the idiosyncratic kind of stuff Burt is trying to peddle, it will be a vanity press. I could be unpleasantly surprised. He better not tell us which publisher it is; I might write a pre-publication review that would kill their enthusiasm, if it is not Burt paying them to publish it.

By the way, the “Rahj” in “Bubba Rahj Fubar” is intentional. I want it pronounced to rhyme with “Dodge”. As in, “get outa Dodge”.

Now I have a new candidate for The Name: Yehuda Thunkett!

Nope, straight history of science.  Well, maybe not so straight but not too warped either. 

BTW: Galileo didn’t report his empirical results and his theoretical conclusions in the way it’s done now.  He didn’t say here are the experiments and from they I inductively propose that v = at^2.  He did it the Aristotelian way, starting off with the hypothesis and then referring to his “many experiments” as illustrations.  (Well, he did have to make at least minimal sense to his contemporaries.)

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed