4 of 4
The Scripture Project?
Posted: 23 August 2008 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
Salt Creek - 23 August 2008 04:37 PM

Your paranoia: Being told to keep it to yourself. But do me (and yourself) a favor, and keep it to yourself. It’s not anyone else’s business if you have an invisible Friend. My paranoia: Your subjective “value in the eye of the beholder” could really permit you to do anything. It did with Ahmed Ressam. Or cite “freedom of expression” and have done with pretending that there is anything out there for us to consider.

There is a cure for both kinds of paranoia - more lunches with Pinot Noir and the entree of choice. I can keep it to myself, and you will eventually see that my subjective “value in the eye of the beholder” does not permit me to do just anything.

Posted: 23 August 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Bruce Burleson - 23 August 2008 06:31 PM

There is a cure for both kinds of paranoia - more lunches with Pinot Noir and the entree of choice. I can keep it to myself, and you will eventually see that my subjective “value in the eye of the beholder” does not permit me to do just anything.

I think you’re more than likely right. I’d just like to see you come to terms with it.

You overcome the religious potentials that SC is rightly concerned about precisely because your positive and cooperative human nature overcomes the Dark Side of your human nature. In other words the better angels of your nature overcome the religious aspects. SC is seeing the compromise to your intellectual integrity and perception, and its potential implications for how solid a grasp your better angels really have on your behavior without the religion filter that makes it shiny and pretty and happy-looking. (What happens when those better angels are challenged?) He’s seeing what’s there, not just what the cultural/religious filters allow through.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 23 August 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
SkepticX - 23 August 2008 07:00 PM

He’s seeing what’s there, not just what the cultural/religious filters allow through.

He’s seeing what he thinks is there, what his paranoia tells him is there. You and he both say I see everything through religious filters. I say you and he both see things through paranoid filters. But again, actual personal contact goes a long way toward correcting all misconceptions on all sides. It’s just something that cannot be duplicated by any form of electronic communication - we are wired for personal contact.

Posted: 23 August 2008 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10
SkepticX - 23 August 2008 07:00 PM

You overcome the religious potentials that SC is rightly concerned about precisely because your positive and cooperative human nature overcomes the Dark Side of your human nature. In other words the better angels of your nature overcome the religious aspects. SC is seeing the compromise to your intellectual integrity and perception, and its potential implications for how solid a grasp your better angels really have on your behavior without the religion filter that makes it shiny and pretty and happy-looking. (What happens when those better angels are challenged?) He’s seeing what’s there, not just what the cultural/religious filters allow through.

Byron

At the risk of sounding unpleasant…...as much as I like Bruce, and I do, a plague bearer of bad memes is still a plague bearer, though he himself may be immune to the disease this will only be laudable to the extend that he has passed the stage of being contagious.

I think he has passed that stage, but I would do great damage to my reputation if I would admit this, so I won’t. grin

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 23 August 2008 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Sander - 23 August 2008 07:30 PM

At the risk of sounding unpleasant…...as much as I like Bruce, and I do, a plague bearer of bad memes is still a plague bearer, though he himself may be immune to the disease this will only be laudable to the extend that he has passed the stage of being contagious.

I think he has passed that stage, but I would do great damage to my reputation if I would admit this, so I won’t. grin

You make me feel so dirty, Sander, but I’m probably not the first. So far, I haven’t seemed to infect anyone around here, but neither has any other Christian who has come around. So, in this crowd, apparently we are all immune to each other.

Posted: 23 August 2008 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Sander - 23 August 2008 07:30 PM

the stage of being contagious.

The only alternative is to blame the victim.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed
newrelic.loglevel = "verbosedebug" newrelic.daemon.loglevel = "verbosedebug"