RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02

Vatican science = oxymoron

Posted: 08 September 2008 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

Here it is, Michael Masons editorial wisdom.  “Is belief in a deeply mysterious unknown root of the universe such a bad thing for science, even if it is perceived through the framework of Christian concepts and imagery?”

The answer to his question is YES, it is a bad thing for science, because the mysterious unknown root of the universe is a question, and a belief is not an answer but a hypothesis that can’t be tested presented as a truth.  So his belief may be false, but the best the “Vatican Scientist” can say is that the cause of the universe is unknown but I believe it is God’s work because my family and priests gave me this belief as a gift.  This ‘gift’ might actually be a curse, but if you don’t question…......  Such a statement is unworthy of a scientist, but truly worthy of a priest.

Father Coyne ex head of the Vatican observatory goes on “I said reasons are not adequate. Faith is not irrational, it is arational; it goes beyond reason. It doesn’t contradict reason. So my take is precisely that faith, to me, is a gift from God.”

Let’s call a spade a spade here. If faith is ‘arational’ it means it is without reason not ‘beyond’ reasoning, therefore you cannot have a discussion about it’s validity or otherwise because there is no reason for having such a faith.  To paraphrase this scientist priests statement it is “I can’t know the real answer therefore the one I accept comes from my imaginary friend”.

Such superstitious rubbish masquerading as truth gets up my nose.

Posted: 12 September 2008 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
little baby cheeses - 08 September 2008 07:45 PM

Let’s call a spade a spade here. If faith is ‘arational’ it means it is without reason not ‘beyond’ reasoning, therefore you cannot have a discussion about it’s validity or otherwise because there is no reason for having such a faith.  To paraphrase this scientist priests statement it is “I can’t know the real answer therefore the one I accept comes from my imaginary friend”.

Such superstitious rubbish masquerading as truth gets up my nose.

Lots of things get up our noses that are real. Do you deny the possibility of realities for which we cannot, at the present time, provide rational explanations? If your answer is yes, then welcome to the world of “a-rational.”

Posted: 13 September 2008 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Bruce Burleson - 12 September 2008 10:27 PM

Lots of things get up our noses that are real. Do you deny the possibility of realities for which we cannot, at the present time, provide rational explanations? If your answer is yes, then welcome to the world of “a-rational.”

Yes, I accept the a-rational with a qualifier, so “There is no reason that we are aware of at this point in time” is OK, as is “We don’t know why or how just yet”.  But the scientist priest says “it’s beyond reason” without a qualifier.  He then goes on to give a reason, “it’s a gift from God”.  So it’s a-rational, but I have an explanation - give me a break.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed