3 of 4
McCain Takes Lead in Polls
Posted: 21 August 2008 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

A critique of the Zogby poll and their methods.

I posted this poll sometime ago and still see things that way…making us afraid is the only chance McCain has to win. 
With Russia in the mix now, of course, it’ll be easier.

Don’t forget that next week is Obama’s week…he’ll get a big boost in the polls and McCain will have to play catch-up during his convention.  Who’s he got to help him?  Dubya, Cheney, Giulianni and Leiberman are scheduled to speak.
Stay tuned.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 21 August 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
Andrew - 21 August 2008 07:21 AM

...McCain will have to play catch-up during his convention.  Who’s he got to help him?  Dubya, Cheney, Giulianni and Leiberman are scheduled to speak.
Stay tuned.

Wow. The total accumulated IQ may approach the teens. I think I’ll just watch reruns of “Family Guy.”

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 21 August 2008 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  2007-08-07
Andrew - 21 August 2008 07:21 AM

A critique of the Zogby poll and their methods.

I posted this poll sometime ago and still see things that way…making us afraid is the only chance McCain has to win. 
With Russia in the mix now, of course, it’ll be easier.

Don’t forget that next week is Obama’s week…he’ll get a big boost in the polls and McCain will have to play catch-up during his convention.  Who’s he got to help him?  Dubya, Cheney, Giulianni and Leiberman are scheduled to speak.
Stay tuned.

Sad to say, but Obama’s approach may need to kick it up to a sharper tone.  McCain has spewed so many lies about Obama that’s it hard to keep track of them.  He misrepresents everything Obama says, gets a lot of press for his falsehoods du jour, and I hear little in reply from BO.  I think Barack needs to get tougher and far more vocal about some of these lies.  And he needs to stop becoming more centrist.  He stumbled 3 times now, badly:

1. Continuing the faith-based bullshit
2. Caving on FISA (is he crazy?)
3. Off shore drilling (what?)

I like him because he’s different.  Not because he’s McSame.

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 21 August 2008 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

Things are getting kicked up a notch.
McCain, in an interview with Politico yesterday, couldn’t remember how many houses he owns (it’s between 4 & 10, depending on who you’re talking to and how you define “house”).  Obama and progressive bloggers are hammering him hard:

It’s about time.  McCain has been painting Obama as elitist, when he’s the one who thinks you have to be making $5 Million a year to be considered “rich”, can’t remember how many houses he owns, and wears $500 shoes.

[edit]:  This was the lead story in this afternoon’s Situation Room.  It may have some legs.

[‘nother edit]:  The McCain camp is playing the POW card.
This is good!

[ Edited: 21 August 2008 01:32 PM by Andrew]
 Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 22 August 2008 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2007-12-10

Hopefully Biden is Obama’s running mate if for no other reason than to hear him tweak his great line about Guliani from the primaries to skewer McCain.  Every sentence out of John McCain’s mouth is made up of one verb, one noun, and ‘POW’.

Obama’s response to McCain’s homes gaffe was pretty great.  Hopefully Obama hits back just as hard on the other misleading of false accusations made in McCain’s ads.  Obama should start with hitting back harder on the claim that his plan raises everyone’s taxes despite that being an objective and literal lie in every sense of the word.

Posted: 22 August 2008 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I agree Tav. I think Biden could counter McCain on any foreign policy issue. Reactionaries could then not say that an Obama administration would be weak or uninformed on overseas matters. Biden chairs the foreign relations comittee for goodness sake.

McCain is old, he has no message except that ‘refuse to surrender’ crap.

If this country votes in John McCain at this point in history I think we may be totally doomed as a nation.

Of course GWB was elected twice so….a nation of nonthinking bible thumpers gets what it deserves.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 22 August 2008 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19

Can’t wait for the debates. In the end, we either stop the hemmoraging (Obama) or bleed to death (McCain).

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 22 August 2008 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
Wotansson - 20 August 2008 05:50 PM

Folks should clean their own house first. Once they show wisdom and results, then they are qualified to give advice. Talk is cheap, and cheaper than ever before.

Stay Well

Wotansson

Well in that case you need to just shut up about American politics as you are pushing for the nominee who is in no small part whatsoever responsible for putting American empire on the edge of collapse.  The same guy whose lobbyist economic advisers lobbied (read: bribed) to convince ppl keeping the Enron loophole open in the energy and real estate market will lead to economic prosperity somehow.  The same guy whose foreign policy advisers are lobbyists for foreign govts who he may or may not have given false assurances to and may, or may not have promised to US military backing for, Georgia in their war of aggression against South Ossetia if/when Russia retaliated. 

John McCain is the very definition of a rock bottom candidate.  Your candidate is responsible for letting things get this bad by his ardent yet belligerently stupid advocacy for the Iraq War and “the surge”.  He has embraced everyone who has done America wrong in the last 8 yrs and systematically destroyed everything she used to stand for.  And you think YOU have a handle on getting the much fabled “positive political results” here in America?  Not by supporting John McCain ya don’t.  You are every bit as clueless when it comes to the issues as the fools who supported Bush in 2004. 

If you want the criteria for speaking on American politics to be that ppl have to first be able to show that their political views are well supported and have brought forth political prosperity, that automatically excludes supporters of John McCain’s candidacy given his policies relative to the Bush regime’s.  If you don’t have anything t combat someone else’s points with, too damn bad.  Don’t dismiss them simply because of nationality.  That is beyond stupidity and no one who is honestly interested in learning about any topic could possibly espouse such broken logic.

Posted: 22 August 2008 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19
Wotansson - 20 August 2008 06:37 PM

Enough. You are appearing to be even more stupid than you were in your first post.

Stay Well
Wotansson

I have never seen a posted response by unbeliever on any topic that suggests any hint of stupidity ... to the contrary. Enough.

[ Edited: 22 August 2008 11:48 AM by goodgraydrab]
 Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 22 August 2008 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21
tavishhill2003 - 22 August 2008 03:21 PM

Folks should clean their own house first. Once they show wisdom and results, then they are qualified to give advice. Talk is cheap, and cheaper than ever before.

Stay Well

Wotansson

Well in that case you need to just shut up about American politics as you are pushing for the nominee who is in no small part whatsoever responsible for putting American empire on the edge of collapse.  The same guy whose lobbyist economic advisers lobbied (read: bribed) to convince ppl keeping the Enron loophole open in the energy and real estate market will lead to economic prosperity somehow.  The same guy whose foreign policy advisers are lobbyists for foreign govts who he may or may not have given false assurances to and may, or may not have promised to US military backing for, Georgia in their war of aggression against South Ossetia if/when Russia retaliated. 

John McCain is the very definition of a rock bottom candidate.  Your candidate is responsible for letting things get this bad by his ardent yet belligerently stupid advocacy for the Iraq War and “the surge”.  He has embraced everyone who has done America wrong in the last 8 yrs and systematically destroyed everything she used to stand for.  And you think YOU have a handle on getting the much fabled “positive political results” here in America?  Not by supporting John McCain ya don’t.  You are every bit as clueless when it comes to the issues as the fools who supported Bush in 2004. 

If you want the criteria for speaking on American politics to be that ppl have to first be able to show that their political views are well supported and have brought forth political prosperity, that automatically excludes supporters of John McCain’s candidacy given his policies relative to the Bush regime’s.  If you don’t have anything t combat someone else’s points with, too damn bad.  Don’t dismiss them simply because of nationality.  That is beyond stupidity and no one who is honestly interested in learning about any topic could possibly espouse such broken logic.

Quit holding back - tell us how you really feel.

Stay Well
Wotansson

Posted: 22 August 2008 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
goodgraydrab - 22 August 2008 03:45 PM

Enough. You are appearing to be even more stupid than you were in your first post.

Stay Well
Wotansson

I have never seen a posted response by unbeliever on any topic that suggests any hint of stupidity ... to the contrary. Enough.

I guess he had a bad day.

Stay Well
Wotansson

Posted: 22 August 2008 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21
Jefe - 22 August 2008 05:01 PM
Wotansson - 22 August 2008 04:52 PM
goodgraydrab - 22 August 2008 03:45 PM

Stay Well
Wotansson

I guess he had a bad day.

Stay Well
Wotansson

With respect, I think its your partisanship that affected your view of his post.

With equal respect, I have no partisanship, except for the partisanship of reason.

Stay well
Wotansson

Posted: 22 August 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Wotansson - 22 August 2008 06:04 PM

With respect, I think its your partisanship that affected your view of his post.

With equal respect, I have no partisanship, except for the partisanship of reason.

Stay well
Wotansson

Reason always requires initial assumptions and a logic that allows deduction from those assumptions.  The logic involved depends on the area that one wants to reason in (the logic of music composition differs from that of mathematics, for example).  Since we are talking politics here, you need to state your initial assumptions and the rules of reasoning that you apply.  There can be intelligent dispute over both of these, especially over the initial assumptions.

Posted: 25 August 2008 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
Wotansson - 22 August 2008 04:14 PM
tavishhill2003 - 22 August 2008 03:21 PM

Stay Well

Wotansson

Quit holding back - tell us how you really feel.

Stay Well
Wotansson

That’s it?  Too cowardly to actually address my points?  What’s wrong Wot?  Cat got yer tongue?  Surely if you have an argument to be made, you’d toss it out here for me to chew on and consider, no?  So where is it?  Where are your counterpoints and corrections?

Posted: 25 August 2008 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19
Jefe - 20 August 2008 07:17 PM
Wotansson - 20 August 2008 06:59 PM

The housing debacle is also the result of world events however much precipitated by the foolishness in the US.

Stay Well
Wotansson

Here I disagree.  I think the US housing debacle was created by unscrupulous predatory lending practices, combined with a predatory flip-for-profit mentality in much of north-america (and the US) and further fueled by irresponsible governmental checks on financing policies that were built to fail.

Jefe, you are so perceptive. Remember Bush’s speech around the time of the big housing bubble (ie, unmanageable balloon mortgages and inflated property values whereby middle men could take a big cut before selling off the loans)? Bush said, “I want every American to realize the American dream, to own a home of their own.” The first thing that came to mind when I heard it was, foreclosures. Collusion? Think about it. Just as clear as Cheney’s fight to the Supreme Court to keep his energy meeting private (wasn’t Enron and big oil executives there?). At the time, the republicans had three main approaches to energy, explicitly, drill in Alaska and drill in the Gulf of Mexico, and implicitly, invade Iraq.

These are the things in which McCain and the republicans are so experienced. Partisan? Hell yes, I’m a yeller-dog
democrat. I will never vote for a republican. I suspect that after the debacles of the last two elections, more people will think about how they’ve been lied to and manipulated. I don’t think they want to put their faith in McCain, only to have his popularity numbers plummet after realizing that they’ve been screwed again. They would feel mighty stupid. 

Jefe for President

Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

3 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed