1 of 3
Stop discrimination against pigs!
Posted: 15 September 2008 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2006-06-15

Why don’t Muslims like pigs? Apart from the fact that a dead pig is likely to harbour bacteria harmful to humans, so not a good idea to eat one in a hot climate before the invention of refrigeration.

Any other reasons? Apart from ‘God said it’?

Well, we don’t like the look of them. We don’t like the way they smell. We don’t like the noises they make. They’re dirty. Obviously God is all-wise, all-knowing.

Well, OK. I don’t like trout. I think they look weird and I don’t like the way they smell. I don’t like the taste either. But some people like them. And they certainly like each other, otherwise they wouldn’t reproduce. Similar to pigs, in fact. And I could say the same about plenty of other creatures. Plants too.

There’s a whole lot of animals that everybody regards as unpleasant, for very good reasons. Hyenas. Vultures. Poisonous snakes. Scorpions. Slugs. Toads. Tapeworms. Lice. The whole planet’s crawling with em. Eeuuch! The guinea worm, that burrows into people and eats them up from inside! That’s disgusting and horrible. Viruses and bacteria that cause sickness, suffering and premature death. How did all these noxious animals come to be here?

God created them.

So does God like them? Presumably, otherwise he wouldn’t have made them. Or maybe there’s another reason. Maybe he actually doesn’t like them but he thought it would be a good idea to create thousands of species of nasty things just so as to make life unpleasant for the species he did like.

Either way, the mind of God must be a very paradoxical thing. Theologians have spent many hours pondering this question. God likes nasty things? God deliberately makes things he doesn’t like? That’s a hard one.

But there’s a simpler explanation, folks: EVOLUTION!! All these animals, some of which we like and some of which we don’t (for perfectly valid reasons) are here with us because, like us, they evolved to suit their environment in a very slow and gradual process called ‘descent with modification’.

Additional to the process of evolution is selective breeding by human beings, which has produced some very weird dogs among other things (Muslims don’t like dogs either, so I’m told). The pig was selectively bred by people as a domestic food animal, that’s why it’s fat and pink and has not much hair. The species which it originates from is the wild boar: a fine, strong, intelligent, hairy, courageous animal with big tusks. Humans did that to it.

So Muslims, if you don’t like pigs, blame people.

Signature 

Affiliation creates division. Friendship is better than membership.

Posted: 15 September 2008 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

The dish I had tonight was well flavored by bits of bacon cooked in, and the rest of the bacon will go beautifully with the pancakes I’m planning for next Sunday.

Posted: 16 September 2008 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21
burt - 16 September 2008 03:09 AM

The dish I had tonight was well flavored by bits of bacon cooked in, and the rest of the bacon will go beautifully with the pancakes I’m planning for next Sunday.

I would like to comment here but I don’t have the time. My bacon and eggs are almost ready.

Stay Well
Wotansson

Posted: 16 September 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Perhaps god is a sadist. He knew that he was creating an existence which would include widespread misery-and that pleased him. To cap off his lurid experiment (which he knew was doomed from the beginning but he created it anyway), he will soon destroy it-again. This time he will use fire since drowning no longer gets him off. He will spare the Champ whose lies he finds amusing. Evil-ution couldn’t possibly have played a role. He created pigs and rabbits and shrimp and then instructed his favorite people not to eat them. Evidently, the people he created but did not like are free to have a ham sandwich and a lobster roll prior to being roasted themselves. Who could not like a deity like that?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 16 September 2008 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02

No comment, my avatar says it all.

Posted: 16 September 2008 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  885
Joined  2008-01-23
mesomorph - 15 September 2008 07:41 PM

Why don’t Muslims like pigs? Apart from the fact that a dead pig is likely to harbour bacteria harmful to humans, so not a good idea to eat one in a hot climate before the invention of refrigeration.

Any other reasons? Apart from ‘God said it’?

Well, we don’t like the look of them. We don’t like the way they smell. We don’t like the noises they make. They’re dirty. Obviously God is all-wise, all-knowing.

Well, OK. I don’t like trout. I think they look weird and I don’t like the way they smell. I don’t like the taste either. But some people like them. And they certainly like each other, otherwise they wouldn’t reproduce. Similar to pigs, in fact. And I could say the same about plenty of other creatures. Plants too.

There’s a whole lot of animals that everybody regards as unpleasant, for very good reasons. Hyenas. Vultures. Poisonous snakes. Scorpions. Slugs. Toads. Tapeworms. Lice. The whole planet’s crawling with em. Eeuuch! The guinea worm, that burrows into people and eats them up from inside! That’s disgusting and horrible. Viruses and bacteria that cause sickness, suffering and premature death. How did all these noxious animals come to be here?

God created them.

So does God like them? Presumably, otherwise he wouldn’t have made them. Or maybe there’s another reason. Maybe he actually doesn’t like them but he thought it would be a good idea to create thousands of species of nasty things just so as to make life unpleasant for the species he did like.

Either way, the mind of God must be a very paradoxical thing. Theologians have spent many hours pondering this question. God likes nasty things? God deliberately makes things he doesn’t like? That’s a hard one.

But there’s a simpler explanation, folks: EVOLUTION!! All these animals, some of which we like and some of which we don’t (for perfectly valid reasons) are here with us because, like us, they evolved to suit their environment in a very slow and gradual process called ‘descent with modification’.

Additional to the process of evolution is selective breeding by human beings, which has produced some very weird dogs among other things (Muslims don’t like dogs either, so I’m told). The pig was selectively bred by people as a domestic food animal, that’s why it’s fat and pink and has not much hair. The species which it originates from is the wild boar: a fine, strong, intelligent, hairy, courageous animal with big tusks. Humans did that to it.

So Muslims, if you don’t like pigs, blame people.

It is incorrect to say that Muslims don’t like pigs.  Rather, it is more correct to say that Muslims don’t like to eat pigs, or be touched by pigs (or dogs) due to the filth carried and transmitted by these animals.  But nice rant anyway.

Posted: 16 September 2008 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Jack Shooter - 17 September 2008 12:16 AM

It is incorrect to say that Muslims don’t like pigs.  Rather, it is more correct to say that Muslims don’t like to eat pigs, or be touched by pigs (or dogs) due to the filth carried and transmitted by these animals.  But nice rant anyway.

Jack you, like most, are misinformed about pigs.  They are naturally very clean animals, they dung and urinate in one communal designated spot and avoid that area at all other times.  If pigs are not unnaturally confined and cramped into small areas in excessive numbers by humans, they are healthier and cleaner than most humans - this has been biologically quantified. 

And btw the expression “sweats like a pig” is physically impossible, because pigs don’t have sweat glands.  This is why they need wallows in warm climates, and they would choose a clean wallow over a dirty one given a choice.  So the expression “happy as a pig in shit” is also false.  Mind you, they will consume another species excrement, but then so do chickens, fish and many other species acceptable to bigoted religious idiots.

As for the ‘filth’ carried by dogs (and other animals), recent research proves that people who keep animals (dogs in particular) have a healthier immune system and are less prone to allergies.  But then this just another example of science disproving religious myths and ignorance, so it will be dutifully ignored by the faithful.

Oh, and here’s another interesting fact, apparently cooked human flesh tastes like pork.  So much so that the Fijians, with a proud recent history of ritual cannibalism, called human flesh “long pig”.  Perhaps we are a little too similar to pigs for comfort, but there’s nothing really as satisfying as the pot calling the kettle black.

Posted: 16 September 2008 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Jack Shooter - 17 September 2008 12:16 AM

Actually Jack, it is incorrect to say Muslims don’t like to eat pigs.  A good Muslim should never have eaten pork, and so would not know what it tastes like - pretty damn good by the way. 

Devout Muslims and Jews cannot like or dislike pork, as this implies they have a choice and have tried it.  To remain true to their religion the Muslim and Jew have no choice, they must blindly follow the doctrine - the word of their very separate but strangely similar Gods if you will.

[ Edited: 16 September 2008 10:44 PM by ooo]

Posted: 17 September 2008 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Jack, you don’t have to quote someone’s whole post all the time. We’ll know which post you’re referring to if you choose a sentence or two from it.

You described pigs elsewhere as ‘unpleasant animals’. That means you don’t like pigs. How much more will you twist and turn in order to avoid admitting your own prejudices and illogic?

LBC has dealt with your health concerns. Check the facts before swallowing the belief. Or the pork.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2008 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-23
mesomorph - 17 September 2008 06:17 AM

Jack, you don’t have to quote someone’s whole post all the time. We’ll know which post you’re referring to if you choose a sentence or two from it.

You described pigs elsewhere as ‘unpleasant animals’. That means you don’t like pigs. How much more will you twist and turn in order to avoid admitting your own prejudices and illogic?

LBC has dealt with your health concerns. Check the facts before swallowing the belief. Or the pork.

They are unpleasant animals in the sense that they are filthy; they literally bathe in their own excrement.  But that doesn’t mean I or any Muslim hates pigs because of that.  They are God’s creation, but the type we shouldn’t eat.

Posted: 17 September 2008 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

Jack, again you are factually wrong, pigs will not “bathe in their own excrement” if given a choice.  In fact they don’t bathe at all, they enter water and wet areas to keep cool.  The only reason they will lie in their own excrement is to keep cool, the alternative being death by heat exhaustion. 

So here’s a question for you: when given the choice of dying of heat exhaustion or temporarily lying in your own excrement, which would you choose, life or death?  Most sensible humans and pigs will lie in their own bodily excretions and live, what about you?

Posted: 17 September 2008 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
little baby cheeses - 17 September 2008 01:13 AM

If pigs are not unnaturally confined and cramped into small areas in excessive numbers by humans, they are healthier and cleaner than most humans

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2008 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

Well I could provide chapter and verse, but I’d have to go looking.

Posted: 17 September 2008 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
little baby cheeses - 17 September 2008 07:59 AM

Well I could provide chapter and verse, but I’d have to go looking.

You mistake me LBC, I was using the statement as proof of my thesis, not questioning your data!

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-23
little baby cheeses - 17 September 2008 07:35 AM

Jack, again you are factually wrong, pigs will not “bathe in their own excrement” if given a choice.  In fact they don’t bathe at all, they enter water and wet areas to keep cool.  The only reason they will lie in their own excrement is to keep cool, the alternative being death by heat exhaustion. 

So here’s a question for you: when given the choice of dying of heat exhaustion or temporarily lying in your own excrement, which would you choose, life or death?  Most sensible humans and pigs will lie in their own bodily excretions and live, what about you?

Actually, a lot of people would rather be dead than have to lie in their own filth.  I deal with seniors, and they tell me this all the time.  What about yourselve, wouldn’t you rather be dead before the day comes where you are bed ridden and crapping yourself, waiting for some person to come and change you, meanwhile you have bed sores and skin breakdown from the burning excrement?

Now, obviously pigs don’t “bathe” as in clean themselves with excrement.  I meant it as in ‘bask’ in, ‘lounge around’ in.  I’m sure pigs have good reasons for what they do, including eating their own feces and newborns, but that’s besides the point, which is, regardless of why they do what they do, pigs are still filthy creatures, better left to themselves than part of your diet.

Posted: 17 September 2008 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-23
mesomorph - 17 September 2008 07:40 AM
little baby cheeses - 17 September 2008 01:13 AM

If pigs are not unnaturally confined and cramped into small areas in excessive numbers by humans, they are healthier and cleaner than most humans

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Little baby cheeses is an example of another person who will, apparently, oppose the truth with the utmost absurdities.  But all the best to him anyway.

“Pigs are cleaner than most humans”?  Speak for yourself.

1 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed