Help!
Posted: 13 January 2005 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

does anyone know a of a biography book on a philosopher who disproved religions?

Posted: 13 January 2005 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2004-12-21

What do you mean by “disproved”?  Many thinkers write against religion, and feel the evidence points away from the religious answer, but prove is a strong word.

Posted: 14 January 2005 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2004-12-22

Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russel

Should be of interest to you.

Here’s the amazon link

Posted: 16 January 2005 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

okay child how about this, makes people think?

Posted: 06 February 2005 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I think most philosophers have commented on religion. Most should make you “think” something about it.

Posted: 08 May 2005 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

The Unauthorized Version is a very well-researched book.  The author studied ancient Greek, checked out the archeology and any contemporary - with the times spoken of in the Bible - writings by other historians, and any other evidence that could be assembled.  He even got over-flight topography studies to show true or false about sites in the Bible of various events.  That is the purpose of his book, to go over what was mentioned that could be true, and what could not.  He also studied the publication theories of the time - a type of reverse plagerism.  To get love poems, erotic ones at that, or other works kept in the manuscript, many authors attributed them to Solomon or Moses, or another famous prophet.  The book was seriously edited at least a few times, but the last was well before the last older written texts - the Dead Sea Scrolls, or any others were translated. 
Look for it in the 0-100 section of your library if it is on the Dewey.  There is also Issac Asimov’s Guide to the Bible  which may prove interesting.  I couldn’t slog through it.
My basic working theory is that energy and matter are neither destroyed nor created, they just exchange form back and forth.  Therefore, I get recycled.  Fine with me.  I carry a donor card.

Posted: 09 May 2005 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

If you’re looking for a biography, you might want to look into Bertrand Russell’s autobiography.  I’ve only glanced at it, but it’s, um, extensive.
I read a biography on him at some point, but it was a long while back and I wasn’t able to track it down with a quick search.  If you look, one will turn up.  The drawback is that his philosophy is only one component of his interesting and controversial life.  But if you want to learn about mathematics and free-love and strained personal relationships, track down a decent biography.  If you want more of his ideology, then Why I am Not a Christian has already been suggested, and is excellent.

‹‹ Now Hiring      Defending Bageant's Essence ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed