Dissertation Made Available?
Posted: 26 October 2008 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-26

I’m wondering whether and how Sam Harris’ dissertation might be made available to the public? Will it be posted here on the site somewhere as a PDF for example? I, and I’m sure many others on this forum would be interested to read it when it’s finished!

Posted: 09 November 2008 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
Karrer - 26 October 2008 11:54 PM

I’m wondering whether and how Sam Harris’ dissertation might be made available to the public? Will it be posted here on the site somewhere as a PDF for example? I, and I’m sure many others on this forum would be interested to read it when it’s finished!

Send him an email and ask him to consider posting it.  Also, depending on what school he does it at (UCLA?) it would probably be (eventually)  in their library.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 09 November 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-26

Thanks for your response! Since the question was pretty mundane I thought I’d ask the community before troubling Sam Harris with it directly. As for the UCLA library, I understand it’s common practice to keep all student dissertations but living in Japan as I do a jaunt across the Pacific is out of the question. wink

Posted: 09 November 2008 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Karrer: As for the UCLA library, I understand it’s common practice to keep all student dissertations but living in Japan as I do a jaunt across the Pacific is out of the question.  wink

LOL
It’s 5478 miles across the Pacific from Tokyo to LA, so if depending on how quickly you can jaunt, at 10 miles per hour, you could arrive in 547.8 hours, or app. 23 days.  cheese

Because of Sam’s status as an already published author, I wouldn’t be surprised if he has it published for a wider audience… he’ll probably “mill” it for a number of paper presentations as well, which could end up somewhere on the Internet.
Welcome to the Forum Karrer.

[ Edited: 09 November 2008 06:08 PM by isocratic infidel]
 Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 11 November 2008 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2008-10-08

http://www.gamecodecity.com/swf/game_952.swf

Signature 

“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of the death penalty…” -Sam Harris
“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of embryonic stem cell research and abortion…” -Me

Jump through the Blackmun Hole!

Salt Creek has discovered the meaning of the first half of “Nulono”. Now, what language uses “nul” for zero?

Posted: 11 November 2008 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29
Nulono - 11 November 2008 02:55 PM

http://www.gamecodecity.com/swf/game_952.swf

You’re either a troll, spammer or software.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed