Anybody want to tape this for me?

Too bad it will never show here.

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 11 January 2006 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2006-01-10

Looking at a few write-ups about this show, I’m amazed that it is aired anywhere!  Good gosh… it looks very interesting.  Is there any way to get access to the show here in the US?
Kelton

Posted: 15 January 2006 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2005-02-28

[quote author=“bfskinner7”]Looking at a few write-ups about this show, I’m amazed that it is aired anywhere!  Good gosh… it looks very interesting.  Is there any way to get access to the show here in the US?
Kelton

It’s available from numerous torrent sites. Below is a torrent you might want to try.

Caveat emptor:
http://tinyurl.com/8p675

Here is a nice collection of Dawkins multimedia:
http://www.reitstoen.com/dawkins.php

Posted: 17 January 2006 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-02-28

The Root of All Evil – Richard Dawkins for the BBC

In this two-part series, Dawkins examines what he terms the virus of religion and its depressing resurgence in modern life. In the first part of the series, entitled “The God Delusion,” Dawkins laments that science has suddenly lost the upper hand in an epistemological battle for minds. Dawkins wants to understand why science has failed to eradicate belief without evidence.

Dawkins travels to the states for a look at the evangelical milieu. A memorable scene in the first episode shows Dawkins attending an evangelical service by Pastor Ted Haggard of the New Life Church in Colorado. Dawkins looks like a wet cat sitting in the pew listening to Pastor Ted’s charismatic sermon. Afterwards, Dawkins confronts the pastor:

“I was almost reminded, if you will forgive me, of a Nuremberg rally. Dr. Goebbels would have been proud.”

Haggard responds, “I don’t know anything about the Nuremberg rallies, but I know that many Americans think of it as a rock concert.”

I weep for my country.

The following scene shows Pastor Ted forcibly removing Dawkins from church property.

Next, Dawkins travels to Jerusalem where he interviews a truly frightening Moslem named Yousef Al-Khattab. Al-Khattab was born a secular Jew in New York, but discovered Islam when he traveled to Israel to become a Jewish settler. He is now a staunch Moslem who is convinced that Islam will soon take over the world and blames 9/11 on the existence of Israel.

I want to believe that Yousef is a radical among his peers, but I fear that he is not.

The most frightening aspect of Dawkins interview with Yousef and Pastor Ted was that they were both intelligent and articulate. These were not ignorant sheep following a charismatic leader, they were leaders themselves.

The second part of the series is entitled “The Virus of Faith,” and it examines how religion is passed down to children from parents. Dawkins claims that religious indoctrination amounts to child abuse. Dawkins can’t resist the analogy of evolution in the discussion of religion. He uses the analogy of a virus to show how religion is passed down from generation to generation. (Dawkins never explains why or how Yousef’s virus “mutated.”)

To solve this problem, Dawkins proposes a change in child rearing by changing the way religion is taught to children. His quixotic scheme is to reverse thousands of years of religious indoctrination into a better understanding of science and an appreciation of the grandeur of nature. Parents should allow a child to learn about different religions and then allow him to make an informed decision as an adult.

Finally, Dawkins interviews Richard Harries who is the Bishop of Oxford. Dawkins challenges Harries’ divergence for the Bible concerning homosexuality. Dawkins puts the Bishop in the awkward position of agreeing more with an atheist than his holy book. Dawkins suggests that the Bishop should just give up on Christianity if he is unwilling to follow an obvious commandment. Dawkins posits, as does SH, that liberal Christians betray faith and reason equally.

Some interesting quotations from the series:

“Why have a Bible at all if we can choose from it what is right and wrong for today’s society.”

“If you want to experience the medieval rituals of faith; the candle light incense; music; and important sounding dead languages, nobody does it better than the Catholics.”

“Adam, the supposed perpetrator of original sin, never existed in the first place. An awkward fact…but the story of Adam and Eve was only symbolic. Symbolic! So Jesus had himself tortured and executed for a symbolic sin by a nonexistent individual… (it’s) barking mad”

“People often say that there must be more that this just this world and just this life; But how much more do you want?”

Posted: 28 January 2006 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-02-28

By Keith Ward

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/cgi-bin/register.cgi/tablet-01133

For the wingnuts on this board, this is what an impressive critique of Dawkins looks like:

“A theist claims that scientific explanation, in terms of general laws and initial states, is not the only sort of explanation. There is also “personal explanation”, in terms of purposes and values. This is the sort of explanation used by historians, novelists, anthropologists, critics of the arts and ethicists. It is a perfectly familiar form of explanation. The question “Could there be a personal explanation for the universe?” is one on which there is rational discussion, and on which different views are held. It does no service to clear thinking to say that if anyone thinks there is such an explanation – for instance, that the universe exists because God chooses it – they are irrational, non-thinking, and have suspended their critical faculties. This is abuse, not argument. “

“So why can Professor Dawkins only see the bad in religion? Why is he incapable of making an objective, “scientific”, study of it, in all its diversity? Why is he unable to make distinctions between the many different forms of religious belief? I do not know the answer to these questions, but I do know this apostle of reason, when confronted with the word “faith”, suddenly becomes irrational, careless of truth, incapable of scholarly analysis.”

———————————-
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed