Video;
Part I
Part II

There’s a longer version: Part I

[ Edited: 11 November 2008 01:15 AM by Bongobongo Smith]
 Signature 

Christian psychopaty:

Bruce Burleson
“.Tell me why it is wrong to rape, steal and kill….
…If I am a slaveholder in Alabama in 1860, why shouldn’t I enslave the niggers, fuck their women, and whip their children when they disobey me????
I’ll tell you why, and it is the ONLY reason why
..”

..he fears gods punishment.

Christians per definition has no moral.
They are governed by fear and fear only.

..and they don’t mind using the N-word.

Posted: 11 November 2008 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

So…if you are a cuckold, it is god’s fault? Many people are dangerously gullible. Wayne Bent (a.k.a. Michael Travesser) made a new doomsday prophesy that the world would end (again) on 31 October, 2008. The congregation fasted for 2 weeks and deprived themselves of water for one week. Amazingly, Bent remained in jail and his congregation found themselves hungry and thirsty, but still in this world on 1 November, 2008. The fact that none of his prophesies are fulfilled does not seem to dissuade them. Perhaps Mr. Bent will meet a new messiah in jail and he will be the one coerced to consummate. This time it may be the will of someone other than god.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 11 November 2008 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

Sorry to spin waaaay off topic, but this has been bothering me for weeks.

Bongobongo - are you actually Matthew McConaughey?

And now back to cults…

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 12 November 2008 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2008-04-17
mpbrockman - 12 November 2008 02:30 AM

Sorry to spin waaaay off topic, but this has been bothering me for weeks.

Bongobongo - are you actually Matthew McConaughey?...

No, and I’m much better looking.

Where did that Matthew McConaughey-idea come from?????????

Signature 

Christian psychopaty:

Bruce Burleson
…If I am a slaveholder in Alabama in 1860, why shouldn’t I enslave the niggers, fuck their women, and whip their children when they disobey me????
..”

Posted: 12 November 2008 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
Bongobongo Smith - 12 November 2008 06:40 PM

He allegedly likes to play bongo drums while getting stoned in Austin.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 12 November 2008 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08
Beam_Me_Up - 12 November 2008 06:52 PM

I suddenly have newfound respect for Matt McConaughey.

Now back to the topic…

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 12 November 2008 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2008-04-17

Ahaa! OK; thanks for the explanation!
Naa; haven’t been ‘stoned’ in 25 years.

Signature 

Christian psychopaty:

Bruce Burleson
..”

Posted: 12 November 2008 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23
Bongobongo Smith - 12 November 2008 09:53 PM

Ahaa! OK; thanks for the explanation!
Naa; haven’t been ‘stoned’ in 25 years.

I live in Austin. Mr. McConaughey is a regular fixture at several locales here. The bongos story was big local news. Ergo…

OK - sorry for the hijack.

Signature 

Posted: 12 November 2008 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Beam_Me_Up - 11 November 2008 04:13 PM

So…if you are a cuckold, it is god’s fault? Many people are dangerously gullible. Wayne Bent (a.k.a. Michael Travesser) made a new doomsday prophesy that the world would end (again) on 31 October, 2008. The congregation fasted for 2 weeks and deprived themselves of water for one week. Amazingly, Bent remained in jail and his congregation found themselves hungry and thirsty, but still in this world on 1 November, 2008. The fact that none of his prophesies are fulfilled does not seem to dissuade them. Perhaps Mr. Bent will meet a new messiah in jail and he will be the one coerced to consummate. This time it may be the will of someone other than god.

One of the techniques used (consciously or unconsciously) by cult leaders is to promote the idea that something wonderful is about to happen.  Keeps the sheep in line, looking at the illusion rather than asking what the hell is going on here.

Posted: 12 November 2008 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23
burt - 13 November 2008 04:04 AM

One of the techniques used (consciously or unconsciously) by cult leaders is to promote the idea that something wonderful is about to happen.  Keeps the sheep in line, looking at the illusion rather than asking what the hell is going on here.

An observation/question, not an opinion; but what I fail (and have always failed) to grasp is the why. What drives people to seek “answers” in the most unlikely and just plain weirdest of places? Are people generally that effing miserable and/or desperate? Is it plain old fear of death? Is it an offshoot of an evolutionary tendency to congregate? Or is it perhaps, as I have suggested elsewhere, a certain amount of laziness about finding one’s own way and creating one’s own sense of purpose. Is it a combination of the above or something I’ve completely overlooked; because this is one area in which I am absolutely on the outside looking in. Like watching someone do jumping jacks in a minefield, the motivation is beyond my comprehension.

[ Edited: 12 November 2008 11:50 PM by mpbrockman]
 Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2008 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-17
mpbrockman - 13 November 2008 04:32 AM
burt - 13 November 2008 04:04 AM

An observation/question, not an opinion; but what I fail (and have always failed) to grasp is the why. What drives people to seek “answers” in the most unlikely and just plain weirdest of places? Are people generally that effing miserable and/or desperate? Is it plain old fear of death? Is it an offshoot of an evolutionary tendency to congregate? Or is it perhaps, as I have suggested elsewhere, a certain amount of laziness about finding one’s own way and creating one’s own sense of purpose. Is it a combination of the above or something I’ve completely overlooked; because this is one area in which I am absolutely on the outside looking in. Like watching someone do jumping jacks in a minefield, the motivation is beyond my comprehension.

All of the above?  One thing I’ve noticed is that people have a tendency to become addicted to sensations: not only the standard addictions like sex, drugs, and rock & roll or mystery novels, but also things like ideologies and emotional states with their concomitant viscero-autonomic and kinesthetic sensations (I know a philosophy prof specializing in ethics who is addicted to feelings of righteous indignation, and so manipulates situations in order to experience that).  I suppose that a state of fascination and worship centered on a guru and his or her pronouncements would fit that category.  The cynical question to ask is whether or not the guru is providing good service for the money?  Is the entertainment value worth the cost?

Posted: 13 November 2008 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

‘One of the techniques used (consciously or unconsciously) by cult leaders is to promote the idea that something wonderful is about to happen.  Keeps the sheep in line, looking at the illusion rather than asking what the hell is going on here’

burt

Have you read the work of Anthony Storr? If so, opinion?

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 13 November 2008 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-23
burt - 13 November 2008 01:47 PM

The cynical question to ask is whether or not the guru is providing good service for the money?  Is the entertainment value worth the cost?

Well, that brings up a slew of surreal parallels. Rev. Moon = soap operas? Shree Rajneesh = James Bond flicks? Jim Jones = Billy Ray Cyrus?  smile

I agree with your thesis, though. I know several people (and have some of this myself) who thrive on anger (the adrenaline rush, the motivational surge, the heightened concentration and reaction times et al). I used to have a drummer who would sometimes intentionally piss me off before important shows because he said I gave better performances that way.

This is something I suppose I haven’t really considered given that I have the personality type that does not enjoy groupthink or too much in the way of enforced peace and tranquility. So the idea that these would be considered enjoyable, even addictive, states by some is an explanation that does not leap readily to my mind. Like I said - jumping jacks in a minefield. Thanks for the insight - I shall consider this.

And McC, I myself have not read Mr. Storr’s work. Any specific titles you’d care to suggest?

[ Edited: 13 November 2008 03:42 PM by mpbrockman]
 Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2008 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-17
McCreason - 13 November 2008 07:48 PM

‘One of the techniques used (consciously or unconsciously) by cult leaders is to promote the idea that something wonderful is about to happen.  Keeps the sheep in line, looking at the illusion rather than asking what the hell is going on here’

burt

Have you read the work of Anthony Storr? If so, opinion?

Sorry, no.  Got a reference?

Posted: 14 November 2008 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

burt

Here is Anthony Storr’s short bio from WIKI. I have seen his book ‘Feet of Clay’ mentioned in some of my other reading, but have not read any of his work yet. Sounds like an interesting man. A psychoanalyst that wrote about historical figures, basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Storr

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 14 November 2008 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-17
McCreason - 14 November 2008 11:38 AM

burt

Here is Anthony Storr’s short bio from WIKI. I have seen his book ‘Feet of Clay’ mentioned in some of my other reading, but have not read any of his work yet. Sounds like an interesting man. A psychoanalyst that wrote about historical figures, basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Storr

Looks interesting.  Funny how my reading list grows faster than I can prune it…—need a speed reading course.  wink

1 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed