5 of 9
An Immediate request of all Sam Harris.org members
Posted: 28 November 2008 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

Much as I might be annoyed or irritated by some poster’s style or content, I cannot agree on the idea of “PC” police on this forum.

Exception, when there’s specific threats made to do bodily harm to another poster, or when a poster becomes deranged and confused to the point of a “reasonable person” inferring s/he is a danger to themselves.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 28 November 2008 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02
Immediate Suppression - 22 November 2008 07:36 AM

How would your mother feel if you weren’t hiding behind an anonymous identity, and she saw your most vulgar insults you have made on this thread, with your picture next to them?

Shades of a suppressed pot calling a kettle black.

When I was but a wee ankle biter, my mother done taught me well thanks, “it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.”  A lesson a little too subtle for you I suspect in the context of this forum - I’m being really insulting now btw, and far worse than calling you a fuckwit.

As for relying on a generic and almost universal internet forum rule, that has probably yet to be applied in 132663 posts (and counting).  Well that’s a bloody ridiculous defense, and smacks of desperation and/or stupidity - I’m being flippant now, as well as insulting.

Anyway, please add me to your ignore list asap, and have a nice day - now I’m being politely, but contemptuously, dismissive. 

Actually, I’ve just noticed that all the words you find offensive are in the spell checker - what does that tell you about insults and insulting language?  Probably not much if past performance is any indication - again being really insulting.

Posted: 28 November 2008 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20
little baby cheeses - 28 November 2008 06:10 PM
Immediate Suppression - 22 November 2008 07:36 AM

How would your mother feel if you weren’t hiding behind an anonymous identity, and she saw your most vulgar insults you have made on this thread, with your picture next to them?

Immediate Suppression,

Last time I checked, this is a forum for adults, not children looking over their shoulder at a chiding mother.  You might be more comfortable in a daycare facility, not here.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 29 November 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
Dennis Campbell - 28 November 2008 06:19 PM

Immediate Suppression,

Last time I checked, this is a forum for adults, not children looking over their shoulder at a chiding mother.  You might be more comfortable in a daycare facility, not here.

Dennis

I am comfortable here.  I just happen to be of the opinion that communication is more effective when people are civil and respectful.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 29 November 2008 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

IS,

That’s my preference and belief as well. Unhappily, some inconsiderate assholes out there do not comply with my wishes for how the human world ought to be.  Go figure.  I’ve learned, somewhat, over a lot of years to try and screen out the invectives and profanity, to ry and get at the message. Sometimes, once screened, there’s no message.  Ah, well, so I’d rather the signals come in than any “filter” get in the ay.

Dennis

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2008 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
Dennis Campbell - 29 November 2008 06:59 PM

IS,

That’s my preference and belief as well. Unhappily, some inconsiderate assholes out there do not comply with my wishes for how the human world ought to be.  Go figure.  I’ve learned, somewhat, over a lot of years to try and screen out the invectives and profanity, to try and get at the message. Sometimes, once screened, there’s no message.  Ah, well, so I’d rather the signals come in than any “filter” get in the way.

That is a good point, sometimes there is no point of their post, other than to insult.  I can’t help but wonder if it is simply to hide the fact that they don’t have any real points to back up their previous assertions.  When you read between the lines, it’s almost as if they are saying:  “I have nothing else to offer intellectually, and I am an intolerant person, so now I will insult you.”

Usually the person that resorts to this type of behavior first is the one whom is lacking in something substantial to say, and thus makes it obvious they have lost the debate.

Dennis Campbell - 28 November 2008 04:54 PM

Much as I might be annoyed or irritated by some poster’s style or content, I cannot agree on the idea of “PC” police on this forum.

Exception, when there’s specific threats made to do bodily harm to another poster

You mean like this recent one?

Salt Creek - 19 November 2008 11:14 PM

Let’s throw Immediate Suppression against the wall and see if his brain behaves rheologically like mud does.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 01 December 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Immediate Suppression - 29 November 2008 06:37 PM

I just happen to be of the opinion that communication is more effective when people are civil and respectful.

There is a time and a place for all forms of communication.  Civility may be more ‘effective’ at times, but there are also times when efficiency requires the abbreviated or abridged version.

It takes a significant amount of time to explain to someone why their concepts, beliefs or logic are a fallacious, and sometimes there is no point either.  Take Bruce the, I’m not rational and will be eternally saved by it, Xshun.  One may be as civil as one pleases, explain at great lengths why his logic is flawed, and even prove it so, and yet he responds with ‘effectively’, “but I have faith, revealed to me personally by an imaginary entity, that renders all human logic invalid”.

What does one do with someone like that?  And what if this pattern of behaviour has been repeated many times?  Call them a fuckwit and move on.

Now as for Salt Creeks “Let’s throw Immediate Suppression against the wall and see if his brain behaves rheologically like mud does.”  It is kind of funny in a cartoon kind of way. Bearing in mind that Immediate Suppression is a fictional character in cyberspace.  It even made me visualize what deformed logic might look like - not pretty - and thoughts of ‘shit for brains’ came to mind. 

Nothing personal btw, and how could it be since Immediate Suppression = persona incognita?  Hence the earlier statements about pots and kettles and “It’s not about you, never has been and never will be”.  These were ‘truths’ on several levels.  And those statements also apply to this whole forum.  So if the fictional character know as Immediate Suppression can’t grasp the concepts in this thread, even though they have been explained ‘civilly’ and abreviated, what does one do?  Call it a fuckwit again and move on.

Posted: 01 December 2008 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Nice post cheeses. Carry on.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 01 December 2008 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Immediate Suppression - 19 November 2008 08:30 PM
little baby cheeses - 12 November 2008 04:39 PM
Immediate Suppression - 11 November 2008 09:39 PM

You are free to disagree with people, but please do it in a civil, respectful manner.

Explain why should anyone be respectful when their intelligence is being insulted?

So that the conversation remains civil.  Circular logic. When conversations become uncivil, both sides typically become polarized, the name-calling becomes a distraction, and the discussion becomes unproductive.  Incorrect, I am neither polarized nor distracted in calling you an idiot, and this discussion has been most productive for me.

Some people in this forum resort to name-calling just to kill the conversation out of frustration of not being able to change the other persons mind.  They use the insults as an excuse to not continue the dialogue because they are frustrated with the lack of success of their efforts. Again incorrect and full of assumptions about the motivation of others. 

Sam Harris said, in effect, that we should not tolerate idiots and their ideas and that this a major part of the world’s problem.

So you do everything that Sam Harris tells you to?  I do nothing anyone tells me to do - with the possible exception of the current attention of my lust.  And by the way, that is not, in effect, what Sam Says.  He is more of an advocate of confronting irrational ideas, not expressing intolerance.  Semantics; one man’s confronting is another’s intolerance articulated.

I seem to remember his description of Sarah Palin as a “rapture ready idiot” as very respectful and civil.

You misremembered.  Actually I remembered his meaning quite correctly.

Oh yes, let us be most respectful of the stoning to death of women who look at a man and therefore bring dishonour on their family.  Female circumcision anyone?

Attempting to change the subject, anyone?  Nope, so please explain your respectfulness for female circumcision and your respectfulness for the stoning of ‘dishonourable’ women.  And just how would you display your tolerance and respect for these ‘civilised’ acts?

Bloody idiot. This is the edited bit in red, and I concur with my previous assessment.

Bloody bad post.  One man’s meat is another man’s poison.  The irony of this is that the word poison comes form the French word of the same spelling which means fish.  I have no doubt that this play on words will be lost on you too as, despite multiple attempts at correction, you still seem to be having trouble with the English language.

[ Edited: 01 December 2008 09:32 PM by ooo]

Posted: 02 December 2008 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
Immediate Suppression - 11 November 2008 09:39 PM

You are free to disagree with people, but please do it in a civil, respectful manner.

Explain why should anyone be respectful when their intelligence is being insulted?

So that the conversation remains civil.  Circular logic. When conversations become uncivil, both sides typically become polarized, the name-calling becomes a distraction, and the discussion becomes unproductive.  Incorrect, I am neither polarized nor distracted in calling you an idiot, and this discussion has been most productive for me.

How has it been “most productive” for you?  Exactly what has been accomplished by calling me an idiot?

little baby cheeses - 02 December 2008 02:19 AM

Some people in this forum resort to name-calling just to kill the conversation out of frustration of not being able to change the other persons mind.  They use the insults as an excuse to not continue the dialogue because they are frustrated with the lack of success of their efforts. Again incorrect and full of assumptions about the motivation of others. 

They are obvious assumptions, and I agree with Dennis here when he accurately pointed out that when you take out the insults and bad language out of some people’s posts, there is nothing left.  They often have nothing to say, their posts are essentially empty.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 03 December 2008 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
Immediate Suppression - 03 December 2008 12:34 AM

I agree with Dennis here

Example of why I have Dennis on ignore

when he accurately pointed out that when you take out the insults and bad language out of some people’s posts, there is nothing left.  They often have nothing to say, their posts are essentially empty.

That’s like saying if you don’t count the black vote, McCain would have won.

Take the faithhead ramblings out of Bruce’s posts, and they are essentially empty.  Take the whining out of your posts and they are empty.  See what I mean?

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 03 December 2008 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02
Immediate Suppression - 03 December 2008 12:34 AM

How has it been “most productive” for you?  Exactly what has been accomplished by calling me an idiot?
First things first, you show me yours and I’ll show you mine.  Please explain your respect and tolerance for the civilised practice of stoning women to death for ‘dishonouring’ their family by being raped.

They are obvious assumptions, and I agree with Dennis here when he accurately pointed out that when you take out the insults and bad language out of some people’s posts, there is nothing left.  They often have nothing to say, their posts are essentially empty.
I learnt something from Salt Creeks rude interjection quoted above, wasn’t empty for me, perhaps that’s because I’m not vacuous.

Posted: 03 December 2008 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

May I be so crude as to hope we can get back on issues and ideas advanced, as compared to analyzing each other’s styles?  There, with some small amount of luck that’ll piss off everyone.

Dennis

Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2008 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

I await with baited? breath IS’s explanation (on topic I might add Dennis) of why and how s/he is tolerant, respectful, courteous and civil towards the outrageous treatment of women by religious fundamentalists.

Posted: 03 December 2008 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

LBC,

Religious fundies enthusiastically discriminate, as far as I can tell,    against about 91.45% of the human race.  If and as one posts here, and expresses their prejudices, then I’ll more than likely fall off of my pure white civil throne.  Did that with one fellow who had posted, on another forum, that his “bible” required him to considered homosexuals as sinners entitled to no considerations; he finally vanished from the scene, probably to continue his prejudices elsewhere. 

I’m not interested in being “civil” or “respectful” as a dogma, but only insofar as that approach might be more effective in influencing someone to consider alternative ideas.  I suspect or at least hope that as women become more politically and financially powerful vis a vis men, and as they themselves assertively express themselves some of that gender bias might reduce, or at least become more muted.

Dennis

Signature 

5 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed