6 of 9
An Immediate request of all Sam Harris.org members
Posted: 03 December 2008 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
little baby cheeses - 03 December 2008 07:07 PM

I await with baited? breath IS’s explanation (on topic I might add Dennis) of why and how s/he is tolerant, respectful, courteous and civil towards the outrageous treatment of women by religious fundamentalists.

What is the topic of this thread, other than demanding everyone be nice?

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 03 December 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2008-09-02

The Idiotic Suppression, and thread starter, asks all to be nice on the erroneous assumption that being nice is always the more effective way of getting one’s views across.  So in my desire to show the IS that Salt Creek also has a valid point about shit for brains logic, and dispel the universality of the IS claim, I’ve asked him to explain how a civil discussion would be effective with religious fundamentalists about to commit yet another ‘honour killing’.

Civility, as narrowly defined by IS, sometimes needs a circuit breaker less we go on being eternally nice and get nowhere.

Also needed to demonstrated to the IS that civility does not always mean what he thinks it means - hence the civil war comments.

Posted: 03 December 2008 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
little baby cheeses - 03 December 2008 10:06 PM

The Idiotic Suppression, and thread starter, asks all to be nice on the erroneous assumption that being nice is always the more effective way of getting one’s views across.  So in my desire to show the IS that Salt Creek also has a valid point about shit for brains logic, and dispel the universality of the IS claim, I’ve asked him to explain how a civil discussion would be effective with religious fundamentalists about to commit yet another ‘honour killing’.

It wouldn’t be.  But last time I checked, no one in this forum has threatened to commit an ‘honor killing’(Did you mean honor killing?). 

Civility, as narrowly defined by IS, sometimes needs a circuit breaker less we go on being eternally nice and get nowhere.

I’m not requesting everyone be eternally nice.  Simply civil and respectful.

Also needed to demonstrated to the IS that civility does not always mean what he thinks it means - hence the civil war comments.

What are you talking about here?  “Also needed to demonstrated?”

[ Edited: 04 December 2008 12:53 PM by Immediate Suppression]
 Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 04 December 2008 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02
Immediate Suppression - 04 December 2008 04:39 AM

It wouldn’t be.  But last time I checked, no one in this forum has threatened to commit an ‘honor killing’(Did you mean honor killing?).

Immediate. In case you haven’t heard, it is us Yanks who changed the proper English spelling of words like ‘honour’ and ‘colour.’ The remainder of the English speaking world just ignores our spelling errors.

Did civility help the European Jews when the SS came to visit? Would you like me to note some other examples where civility and respect were useless? 

What are you talking about here?

Would somebody please pass the ‘Clue Hammer’?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 04 December 2008 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

OK, I am a slow learner, IS is a chatbot.

Posted: 04 December 2008 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

This thread is proof of where civility doesn’t work.  When you combine civility and stupidity you get Immediate Suppression.

Posted: 04 December 2008 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

LOL

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 04 December 2008 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
Beam - 04 December 2008 12:35 PM

It wouldn’t be.  But last time I checked, no one in this forum has threatened to commit an ‘honor killing’

Immediate. In case you haven’t heard, it is us Yanks who changed the proper English spelling of words like ‘honour’ and ‘colour.’ The remainder of the English speaking world just ignores our spelling errors.

Instead of actually defending the irrelevant comparison little baby cheeses made, you instead choose to comment on the spelling issues I addressed, essentially making it obvious you don’t have any real defense of little baby cheeses comments.

Beam - 04 December 2008 12:35 PM

Did civility help the European Jews when the SS came to visit? Would you like me to note some other examples where civility and respect were useless?

No, it is not necessary.  The comparison is completely irrelevant.  You, like little baby cheeses, are only making it obvious that you are desperate by relying on such an irrelevant comparison for justifying rude behavior in this forum.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 04 December 2008 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

Immediate, how are you doing? How is your crusade working out? The leaves are spectacular this year. Lovely weather, don’t ya think? Have a nice day.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2008 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

IS,

I do not give a Rat’s Ass if any post is considered “rude” or not, that’s entirely up to the sender and the perception of any reader.  It is not up to this forum to somehow regulate the style and content of any posts, absent clear threats to physically injure someone, and that is up to the system administrators to handle, as well as any applicable law enforcement agency.

Why are we spending all this time and effort on essentially a stylistic issue?  Have too many of us no better issues of some substance to advance? 

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 04 December 2008 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

Beam,

Do you think IS can see Russia from his house?

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 04 December 2008 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-02

I have learnt more from the few rude people who have challenged my intellectual complacency than all of my immensely civil teachers combined.  I think I’ll commission a new T-shirt to commemorate

Rude and Proud!

Posted: 04 December 2008 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

T.,

Now that indeed was a low blow!  Did get a giggle from me, nevertheless.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 04 December 2008 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
teuchter - 04 December 2008 06:25 PM

Beam,

Do you think IS can see Russia from his house?

Your clarity is amazing! It all makes sense now! Hi Sarah! How’s Wasilla?

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2008 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

Amazing! I typed in Trig Piper Willow into the Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator and it spat out Imodium Suppository Palin.  Coincidence? I don’t think so!

Signature 

6 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed