1 of 3
Brokeback Mountain
Posted: 12 January 2006 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Saw it last night. I can see why people with the anti-gay agenda will freak out/are freaking out over it, but it's odd that they seem to be going about it with actual intelligence this time—if that's what's going on, and I suspect it is, or will be. Normally they'd be protesting, making themselves look moronic and giving the movie all sorts of extra publicity, ensuring its success even if it wasn't good. This time a lot of theaters simply aren't showing it. I sure hope the religious nuts haven't figured that one out.

At any rate, I thought it was a powerful movie. Beforehand I could understand homosexual attraction intellectually by translation. Seems simple enough—gay men are attracted to men like I'm attracted to women. But Brokeback Mountain made the emotional connection for me—bridged the gap, I guess. The anti-gay lobby should fear it, because it could certainly do the same thing for a lot of other people, I think—maybe make a lot more such connections for most people simply because most people have a lot more gaps like that than I do.

The reviews aren't hype or pressure to avoid the impression of being unenlightened—they're genuine. Heath Ledger's performance is really that outstanding.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 17 January 2006 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

Sounds great!

I’m looking forward to seeing it soon.

speaking of ‘freakin’ out’.....................

Love is a very touchy subject to the religious - have you noticed that ‘they’ seem to take ownership of the concept? yep….meaning that they can’t conceive of ‘love’ existing for the non religious or atheist.
strange people rolleyes

Posted: 18 January 2006 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“snakechic”]Love is a very touchy subject to the religious - have you noticed that ‘they’ seem to take ownership of the concept?

Not to mention morality and ethics, and on the more hard core side, even things like nobility, leadership, beauty . . .

Seems most religions are mutual admiration societies of prima donnas.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 24 January 2006 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2006-01-23

Yeah, they (organized religions) seem to have done their best to co-opt all of the positive values that humans hold dear, and left all the negatives for those of us who don’t profess to believe. I’m sure this was a deliberate tactic employed for the sole purpose of swelling their ranks by making any alternative look evil.

I saw Brokeback Mountain a couple of weeks ago, and I agree, Keith Ledger did a marvelous job! All of the actors were wonderful, though, not just him. The whole production was done with taste and style, and I hope to see more such gems in the future.

Posted: 24 January 2006 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-16

[quote author=“SkepticX”][quote author=“snakechic”]Love is a very touchy subject to the religious - have you noticed that ‘they’ seem to take ownership of the concept?

Not to mention morality and ethics, and on the more hard core side, even things like nobility, leadership, beauty . . .

Seems most religions are mutual admiration societies of prima donnas.

Byron

Yes..its no wonder really…..the religious believe people are ‘born of sin’...yet only they are have the answer… 

oh yeah..definate tactic - what else! Also the speil is to offer a sense of ‘specialness’...and who doesn’t desire that!....

Its somehow better to have ‘god’s love’ while condemning homosexuals to hell…. rolleyes

The movie is pushing those religious fools buttons - not to mention outrating the Narnia film in the GGlobe awards… smile

Posted: 25 January 2006 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

snakechic, come on. You wouldn’t expect a Christian oriented flick to garner a Globe award anymore than I would expect the Southern Baptists to screen Brokeback at the next convention.

The reality is that Christians do not expect a fair shake from Hollywood. And why should they? Hollywood has been carefully trying to make us look like fools for 30 years while making degenerates look like the happy well-adjusted folk they aren’t.

Not sure exactly when Hollywood went off track. I think it was late 60’s when Hollywood starting moving the goal posts of decency and there was no outcry from the huddled masses that attend church on Sundays.

Nope, you folks go ahead and have your little award shows. Pat yourselves on the back all you want. It ain’t gonna stop time. Time is still ticking away. And you all have an appointment with your Creator, no matter how many awards you win. “It is appointed unto all men to die, but after this, the judgement.”

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 25 January 2006 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2005-07-05

Hollywood doesn’t need to make Christians look like fools, they’ve been doing it themselves for years.  And who are these degenerates that they make seem well adjusted?

Signature 

Can an omnipotent God create a rock that even he can’t lift?

Posted: 25 January 2006 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

dfhusky, you really want to get into this? I mean, every time we do there’s hurt feelings. But here goes….

dfhusky, your question should be obvious to an obviously intelligent person such as yourself. I mean, I would expect that you are a Seahawks fan, going to Detroit no less. Very smart. The Seahawk are coached by a ....GENIUS, or at least a genius for the time being (whoever wins in football gets to wear the genius hat).

Anyway, degenerate: 1) a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior, 2) unrestrained by convention or morality

So the question can be answered by what is considered the convention for social behavior and morals. Nuff said…

By the way, this leads me to an excellent point, or at least I think it is an excellent point. Liberals and progressives have been chipping away at what is considered acceptable behavior for many years. Now a range of behaviors are social norms, all of which are contrary to good Christian morals. For example, sex before marriage and living together before getting married (something yours truly is guilty of). Then there is having babies out of wedlock and then nonchalantly deciding to marry (who cares what stability needs the baby requires….we’ll get married when we feel like it….). These types of behaviors are considered acceptable to Liberals and non believers. Totally unacceptable to 90% of the country who calls themselves Christians. Now, if we could get that 90% to act like Christians and start living Holy and worthy of the call of Christ, we’d have a better world….. Just a thought.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 25 January 2006 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-16

[quote author=“TheChampion”]snakechic, come on. You wouldn’t expect a Christian oriented flick to garner a Globe award anymore than I would expect the Southern Baptists to screen Brokeback at the next convention.

The reality is that Christians do not expect a fair shake from Hollywood. And why should they? Hollywood has been carefully trying to make us look like fools for 30 years while making degenerates look like the happy well-adjusted folk they aren’t.

Not sure exactly when Hollywood went off track. I think it was late 60’s when Hollywood starting moving the goal posts of decency and there was no outcry from the huddled masses that attend church on Sundays.

Nope, you folks go ahead and have your little award shows. Pat yourselves on the back all you want. It ain’t gonna stop time. Time is still ticking away. And you all have an appointment with your Creator, no matter how many awards you win. “It is appointed unto all men to die, but after this, the judgement.”

Oh comeon’ yourself….when I hear or read someone saying ‘the reality is’ I immediately think ‘oh yeah, says who’...
The fact is that xians DO expect a lot from hollywood including making a lot of money (but what’s new huh!) god seems to require that of them?.....
anyway ...it also seems xians aren’t all that confident about the great lord and/or creator, creating anything.  Time..haha..so you can’t wait and instead take the ‘time’ to do gods work and judge?

Why should you care how or what “hollywood’ makes of xianity? arent’ you waiting for death and judgement?

Read link below and stop spouting off before you find out what ‘the reality is’ God needs a rich man to prop him up, and other rich men in the newspaper business to sell and advertise his message but still….the christian movie Narnia (answer to Harry Potter) didn’t win as many awards at the Golden Globe as “Brokebackmountain”....
raspberry

[ Edited: 25 January 2006 09:59 AM by ]

Posted: 25 January 2006 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-16
[quote author=“dfhusky”]Hollywood doesn’t need to make Christians look like fools, they’ve been doing it themselves for years.  And who are these degenerates that they make seem well adjusted?

Hiya..may I say..why ask the xian to judge…its not like you have to lead a horse to water!

LOL

typical answer will be ...anything that doesn’t conform to a strict set of ideals and morals….
where would xiantity be without sin… :wink:

Posted: 25 January 2006 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-05

Again, I ask, what is deviant behavior?  And how, as a country, would you legislate and enforce against such behavior?  Is anal or oral sex between a married couple, who were virgins when they got married, deviant?  What about a married couple who likes to play dress-up, or use dildos?  Liberals only seem more tolerant of what you might call deviant behavior because the don’t know how it can possibly be legislated against and enforced given the fact that the constitution prevents unreasonable searches and seizures.  Are you willing to hire a sex police or morality unit to do such a job after changing the constitution to allow such an invasion of privacy?  Also, name the last movie you saw, where deviancy was held up as a societal good?  When has Hollywood shown the murderer, theif, adulterer, child molester, really getting away with it without consequences or winking at us as though this was a way to conduct oneself?  I think your fight with Hollywood, as if it was a monolithic entity, is a red herring and I think you know it!  No one is arguing that behavior that does real harm to either people or property should be allowed in a civilized society.

Go Seahawks!

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2006 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Oh comeon’ yourself….when I hear or read someone saying ‘the reality is’ I immediately think ‘oh yeah, says who’...
Hey, the reality is…(sorry couldn’t help myself)

The fact is that xians DO expect a lot from hollywood
We do? Thanks for letting us know. Actually, I would beg to differ. Since Hollywood has been attacking Christians and faith-based people for so long, you must have just arrived back from some NASA moon mission from the 60’s. 99% of the actor portrayals of Christains showed them mired in sin, conspiring to do some kind of evil, or basically all screwed up. We expect a lot from Hollywood? Sure haven’t been getting it.

including making a lot of money (but what’s new huh!) god seems to require that of them?.....
God does bless his children? No? Who kind of earthly father would give a snake (oops, sorry Snakechic) to his child if his child asks for bread. Yes, earthly fathers are noted for taking care of their children. How much more would your heavenly father take care of you?????? Is it a Christians fault if money and opportunities seem to flow their way? I think not, rather, they should be commended for being wise stewarts over the earthly things God has given them. For sure, God said if you are faithfull in the little things, you’ll get bigger things. Understand? I thought not. Yet, its elementary my dear snakechic. Pray, pray today, for God to open your spiritual eyes.

anyway ...it also seems xians aren’t all that confident about the great lord and/or creator, creating anything.
Oh really. There…you…goooo again….(Reagan). I would say that Christians are a confident bunch when it comes to matters of evolution vs creation vs ID.

Time..haha..so you can’t wait and instead take the ‘time’ to do gods work and judge?
Exqueeze me? I miss the logic here, the syntax is not linear. Further computing is required.

However, in the area of judging, I, being a Christian, cannot judge you, being a lost sinner. That is God’s job. However, in the area of judging, I, being a Christian, CAN judge Christian behavior and dole out correction ect to my Christian brothers and sisters, and visa versa.

Why should you care how or what “hollywood’ makes of xianity? arent’ you waiting for death and judgement?
Nope, I’m “occupying” till he (JC) comes back. By the way, the judgement I speak of is not one for eternal separation from God. Those who put their faith in Christ have a different judgement and its based solely on their works in this life. You, on the other hand, as a non believer, will face a different judgement, called the Great White Throne Judgement. This is where allllllll non believers will be judged, at the same time. Scary huh…..better get it squared away with God while ya can. Remember, tick…tick…..tick…..(you know what I’m talking bout….)

Read link below and stop spouting off before you find out what ‘the reality is’ God needs a rich man to prop him up,
You’ve got it all wrong. God needs no help. God does however, equips and sends men out into the field to do good works (that’s what Christianity is all about). Sounds like this gentleman is doing something wonderful and I commend him for it.

and other rich men in the newspaper business to sell and advertise his message but still….the christian movie Narnia (answer to Harry Potter) didn’t win as many awards at the Golden Globe as “Brokebackmountain”
And I already told you, nobody cares. Go ahead and have your little award shows….tick….tick….tick….tick… Pat yourselves on the back as much as you want….tick….tick….tick….tick
Time is ah moving, are you ready to meet your maker? What happened if it occured today? Would you be ready? Just asking…

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2006 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-05

Met my maker?  I just spoke with her last night!  She and my dad are fine.  They went out to eat with my grandpa (mom’s 1/2 maker).  God didn’t make us, each of us makes God.  If you don’t think I’m right, then how do explain so many different religions?

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2006 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-16

And I already told you, nobody cares. Go ahead and have your little award shows….tick….tick….tick….tick… Pat yourselves on the back as much as you want….tick….tick….tick….tick
Time is ah moving, are you ready to meet your maker? What happened if it occured today? Would you be ready? Just asking…

LOL

You better be asking yourself those same questions - your’re the person bound up with all that xian urgency not me.
How long has it been ....that xians have been waiting on some future event or coming…..hey? Fools - death will come - that’s guaranteed.

Are you ready? tick tick..you sure do tickle me! bit of a drama queen?

God needs no help. God does however, equips and sends men out into the field to do good works (that’s what Christianity is all about). Sounds like this gentleman is doing something wonderful and I commend him for it.

Is this what xianity is all about? Showing off for fellow xians. How do you know what ‘god’ needs?

Posted: 25 January 2006 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

You people are SOOO predictable, and TC obviously enjoys pushing your buttons—takes total control of almost any given thread pretty much at will.

It’s pretty amusing, even if a little annoying at times.

Byron

Signature 

Posted: 26 January 2006 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Hey SkepticX, whats with the disappearing act every month? You pop up once every quarter to bash the faith-based posters?

Whats this about button pushing? Heck, I believe in my faith, morals, and principles. I’m willing to stand up and be counted for mine, no matter how much scorn I receive. Jesus is Lord and I stand by it.

Signature 

1 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed