3 of 3
Brokeback Mountain
Posted: 27 February 2006 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Oh come now snakechic, is this not fringe preaching? I have been in churches all over the country and I can’t ever recall hearing such garbage from a preacher. How about checking in with someone like that guy from Texas, the Lakewood church kid. Or that guy from OC california, Rick Warren, or the other one from there, Greg Laurie, or the guy from Dallas…Td Jakes, or David Wilkerson from NYC. How bout those guys.

Homunculus, what a can of worms we thus open. Two gay friends who have kids? Well, everybody has an opinion on the subject. But from the big picture, don’t you think that a child needs both a mother and a father for a well round upbringing? Does it not seem fair to deprive a child of having a female/mother in its rearing? Just asking the questions friend.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 27 February 2006 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

Champion (and I want to get back to you tomorrow about the other stuff we’re having fun talking about), I was only arguing that descent-with-modification works with homosexuality since gay people are also attractive enough to the opposite sex that baby making often occurs. You’re bringing morality into the picture. Sure, in an ideal world all children have a mother and a father. Hell, let’s go one step further and pretend we’re in Utah a few years back and have 3 or 4 mothers for every child.

A child needs as many parents as are able to address his/her needs. One competent parent is a thousand times better than two who believe in devils and eternal torture. Sorry for pulling out all the stops, but it’s getting late.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 17 March 2006 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

-

You know, I was resisting the Ignore option, thinking that I’d just go the standard route of deflecting this stuff as it comes along. But ya know… my demon filter just shouldn’t have to work this hard wink.

*heading rapidly over to the link that will clear my screen of crap and give my brain better things to do*

Just think, treb, soon you will be babbling into a void.

_

[ Edited: 17 March 2006 05:35 PM by ]
 Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 17 March 2006 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

Done! I feel so… cleansed :D !

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 21 March 2006 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2005-07-08

Leaving the idiots (Champ & Treb) to mutter to themselves for a while…

I saw Crash last night.  It was a decent enough movie, but I can’t figure out what Osccar was thinking.  On an intellectual level, it was maybe late middle school or early high school; maybe Hollywood really is more homophobic than we think?

Posted: 21 March 2006 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

[quote author=“mhatter13”]Leaving the idiots (Champ & Treb) to mutter to themselves for a while…

I saw Crash last night.  It was a decent enough movie, but I can’t figure out what Osccar was thinking.  On an intellectual level, it was maybe late middle school or early high school; maybe Hollywood really is more homophobic than we think?

I don’t know if you can come to that assumption?..*shrugs*

I enjoyed Crash - not for its ‘intellectual’ stimulation but for the tremendous emotional interaction I had with the film…no I’m not normally a ‘weeper’...but I cried and cried all through Crash…its more of a well designed film in that way than brokeback which to me is very simple in its message….almost a ‘chic flick’...

the actors in crash were brill!

Do movies win the Osccar according to the issues?...nah but I think racism affects more people and is probably more ‘dangerous’ to open up about than gay love…............surely!

Posted: 21 March 2006 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

When film historians look back at the films of this century (that is, if Jesus doesn’t come back beforehand…), I assure you that Crash will be at the top of, or bottom of, the list. No inbetweens.

Best films of the previous century? There are a lot of opinions, here is mine:

- Casablanca
- True Grit
- The Great Waldo Pepper
- Tora, Tora, Tora
- Laurence of Arabia
- The African Queen
- Animal House
- American Graffiti
- ET
- Star Wars
- Ben Hur
- The Godfather
- The Godfather II
- The Terminator
- Cleopatra
- Blade Runner
- As Good as it Gets (awesome performance by Jack)
- The 10 Commandments

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 21 March 2006 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-01-05

You know, a good film is like a good wine - if you like it, it’s a good wine.

And since when does TC listen to some tree-huggin’ liberal-agenda’d “film historian” anyway?!?!?  Did you put that there to be ironic?  Fess up now.

Posted: 21 March 2006 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

Hehee…

TC you forgot Fargo - the best of the best! (imho)

Posted: 21 March 2006 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“SitDogmaSit”]You know, a good film is like a good wine - if you like it, it’s a good wine.

And since when does TC listen to some tree-huggin’ liberal-agenda’d “film historian” anyway?!?!?  Did you put that there to be ironic?  Fess up now.

Hello SitDogmaSit, nope, just voicing an opinion. I know I probably left off a few goodies. But Fargo????  snakechic, maybe I should rewatch. I must admit that I never watched the whole thing. Every time I tried there was some crisis to attend to!! :-(

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2006 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Forgot, Schindlers List.

Casablanca
- True Grit
- The Great Waldo Pepper
- Tora, Tora, Tora
- Laurence of Arabia
- The African Queen
- Animal House
- American Graffiti
- ET
- Star Wars
- Ben Hur
- The Godfather
- The Godfather II
- The Terminator
- Cleopatra
- Blade Runner
- As Good as it Gets (awesome performance by Jack)
- The 10 Commandments
- Schindlers List

Personal favs….

- Saving Private Ryan
- Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, World (a total classic….lost in film history)
- Forest Gump
- The Great Escape (awesome flick, still entertaining)
- Von Ryan’s Express
- Amistad (what a ripoff, this flick doesn’t rake in the oscars????)
- The Sand Pepples
- Its a Wonderful Life

Guilty Pleasures…

- Dirty Harry
- Saturday Night Fever
- Heaven Can Wait
- Any Pink Panther movie…..

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2006 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2005-07-05

Has anyone noticed that Treb seems to be a reincarnated Father Caughlin?  Jewish immorality?  Catholic piety?  Bingo!  Pass me another beer will ya father!

Signature 

Can an omnipotent God create a rock that even he can’t lift?

Posted: 26 March 2006 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

Champion, have you seen Defending Your Life? You’ll laugh yourself unconscious.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 26 March 2006 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

hmm… my favorite movies…

A Touch of Evil
To Have or Have Not
The Magic Christian
Fight Club
Blade Runner
Club Paradise