4 of 6
What is a deistic atheist?
Posted: 17 December 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20
Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 05:47 PM
goodgraydrab - 17 December 2008 05:33 PM

Just for the record, I was referring to deistic atheists as fuckwits.

Like I said in my original post, criticize them, make fun of them if you want, even call them uncivil vulgar names like you just did there.  But when the polls are taken, they are counted as atheists.

As any rational person would realize, the fact that someone who believes in a personal god (6% of atheists in the most recent poll you cite) self-identifies as an atheist does not prove that 6% of atheists believe in a personal god; it proves that a number of the sample is wholly illiterate.

And your reliance on this figure of 20% of the people sampled being too stupid to even understand the question they were answering as proving that 20% of atheists believe in god only establishes that you are a moron.

As to you dishonesty, it has been repeatedly pointed out to you over the many threads you have started, and if you are too dishonest to acknowledge that, well…

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 17 December 2008 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Intelligence Suspended – What is a deistic atheist?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 17 December 2008 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
GAD - 17 December 2008 05:49 PM
Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 05:37 PM

I have never lied in this forum.  If I have, please point out where.

I also have never been dishonest.  There was one time where I cut & pasted a definition of spinal biffida without sourcing it, someone made a big deal over it out of desperation, so I went back and cited it.

And I have never been manipulative, though I can understand why some might feel that way possibly out of embarrassment because they inadvertently helped out in some of my projects in this forum.

Your lying and being dishonest and manipulative right now.

No, I am not.  Everything I said in the quote above is the truth.

I caught you changing quotes.

No, you did not.  I never changed what anyone wrote, as you just falsely implied.  I have interrupted sentences by writing: .... , which is an accepted writing practice. I’ll actually do it again with your last sentence here in this post.

I caught you making false statements about other posters participating in your projects and agreeing with your statements.

No, you did not.  I never made any false claims about anything.  I did say other posters participated in examining statements in this thread, which is the truth.  Take a look for yourself to see the evidence.

and I caught you cross posting quotes out of context between your threads to make it appear that people supported your views.

No, actually you never did.  I will openly acknowledge that the vast majority of the posters in here disagree with my ideas.  It really doesn’t bother me at all, in case you haven’t noticed.  The messages of support I have received from other Sam Harris.org members more than make up for it, especially considering that so many of the posts directed towards me contain little of substance; such as those from people like Beam or Salt Creek. 

Dennis has agreed with me at times to a certain extent, and I have quoted him in some of those instances.  I have also quoted him when he hasn’t agreed with me.

It’s back in the threads if you haven’t doctored it…

Yes, it is.  Anyone who is curious can take a look at the evidence.

... and if anyone cares enough to look, I don’t.

Possibly because the facts would not support your assertions?

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 17 December 2008 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
teuchter - 17 December 2008 06:43 PM
Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 05:47 PM
goodgraydrab - 17 December 2008 05:33 PM

Just for the record, I was referring to deistic atheists as fuckwits.

Like I said in my original post, criticize them, make fun of them if you want, even call them uncivil vulgar names like you just did there.  But when the polls are taken, they are counted as atheists.

As any rational person would realize, the fact that someone who believes in a personal god (6% of atheists in the most recent poll you cite) self-identifies as an atheist does not prove that 6% of atheists believe in a personal god; it proves that a number of the sample is wholly illiterate.

And your reliance on this figure of 20% of the people sampled being too stupid to even understand the question they were answering as proving that 20% of atheists believe in god only establishes that you are a moron.

I’ll admit that I don’t know the exact percentage of atheists who believe in a God or higher power, it is possibly less than 20%.  But nevertheless, a significant portion of atheist do have deistic beliefs, and for that reason they are deistic atheists.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 17 December 2008 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2006-12-13
teuchter - 17 December 2008 06:43 PM

It’s not so much the people who self-identify as atheists who believe in a personal god, but the researchers who don’t throw out these samples. Social research is funny. It’s about reporting what people say, not about whether the data mean anything.

Posted: 17 December 2008 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2006-12-13
Immodium Suppository - 17 December 2008 10:54 PM

I’ll admit that I don’t know the exact percentage of atheists who believe in a God or higher power, it is possibly less than 20%.  But nevertheless, a significant portion of atheist do have deistic beliefs, and for that reason they are deistic atheists.

Which part is more important for a non-religious deist? To be an “atheist” or to believe in a God or a higher power? I would think the latter. Calling oneself a non-religious deist seems to make more sense. But some people are not only opposed to religion, they are opposed to making sense.

Posted: 18 December 2008 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19
Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 10:54 PM

Put another way, some number of people who say they are believers in a creator-god (deists) also say they are without a belief in a creator-god (atheists). It’s obvious that they don’t know what they are, and it’s more than simple percentages that you don’t know. Make sure that you defend the validity of our poll taken here with as much vigor, our belief that you and they are fuckwistic idiotists. Say what you will, but in the end that’s the count ... a reliable 100%.

[later corrected for greater accuracy with the addition, “who say they are”/“also say they are”]

[ Edited: 18 December 2008 06:58 AM by goodgraydrab]
 Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 18 December 2008 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16
Immediate Suppression - 17 December 2008 05:09 PM

The point is to make a valid point:  That deistic atheists do exist.  And judging by the clear lack of oppostion to my ideas, I have established that it is a valid point.

Because a circle calls itself a square doesn’t prove that square circles exist, just that stupid circles do.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 18 December 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15
camanintx - 18 December 2008 05:45 PM

The point is to make a valid point:  That deistic atheists do exist.  And judging by the clear lack of oppostion to my ideas, I have established that it is a valid point.

Because a circle calls itself a square doesn’t prove that square circles exist, just that stupid circles do.

It does in IS’ world.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 19 December 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19

Perhaps IS can gleen from this that to get from Atheism to Deism or vice versa requires a conversion, not a union. Also, with regards to responders to the poll he cites, Atheist may be mistaken for the proper use of Irreligion in a Deistic context. Other than that, I think we’ve exhausted every avenue of assistance that might benefit the poor guy’s mind.

http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/page6.cfm#8

http://www.moderndeism.com/

Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 19 December 2008 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19

That is such a bad analogy that I won’t even play along with it. 

Deistic atheists probably have more in common with traditional atheists than normal atheists would like to admit.  Namely, an opposition to religion.  And I would be surprised if many deistic atheists are very open with their deistic beliefs, in terms of openly expressing them in public.  They might simply have the beliefs as sort of an internal comfort of sorts.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 19 December 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16
Immediate Suppression - 19 December 2008 05:45 PM

Deistic atheists probably have more in common with traditional atheists than normal atheists would like to admit.  Namely, an opposition to religion.

If they believe in a deity but are opposed to religion, then they are antireligious, not atheist, despite what they may call themselves.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 19 December 2008 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-19
goodgraydrab - 19 December 2008 05:12 PM

Perhaps IS can gleen from this that to get from Atheism to Deism or vice versa requires a conversion, not a union.

While a conversion is usually, though not always, necessary for one to become part of a religion, no conversion is necessary to have deistic beliefs.  You simply have to have deistic beliefs.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 19 December 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Immediate Suppression - 19 December 2008 07:15 PM
goodgraydrab - 19 December 2008 05:12 PM

Perhaps IS can gleen from this that to get from Atheism to Deism or vice versa requires a conversion, not a union.

While a conversion is usually, though not always, necessary for one to become part of a religion, no conversion is necessary to have deistic beliefs.  You simply have to have deistic beliefs.

All that’s required to become part of a religion is the delusion that there is safety in numbers.

Deistic beliefs, plus a shiny coin, will buy you a brightly-colored gumball. Chew it carefully so as not to die by choking.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 December 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19
Immediate Suppression - 19 December 2008 05:45 PM

That is such a bad analogy that I won’t even play along with it. 

Deistic atheists probably have more in common with traditional atheists than normal atheists would like to admit.  Namely, an opposition to religion.  And I would be surprised if many deistic atheists are very open with their deistic beliefs, in terms of openly expressing them in public.  They might simply have the beliefs as sort of an internal comfort of sorts.

The analogy is perfect in regards to your thought process.

You mention above: deistic atheists, traditional atheists and normal atheists and we’re supposed to figure out what you’re talking about when you don’t even know.

Again, you’re attempting for others to pretend they think you know what you’re talking about. You can’t be atheist and simply adopt deist. You have to drop one for the other, otherwise it’s non-existent nonsense. Antireligious or Irreligious is what you’re looking for as a sub-class of deist. Your insistence just makes me think you were a poll participant.

[ Edited: 19 December 2008 04:15 PM by goodgraydrab]
 Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

4 of 6

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed