2 of 2
Neale Donald Walsch takes on Richard Dawkins
Posted: 07 January 2009 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-12-06
Immediate Suppression - 07 January 2009 05:34 AM

Sorry to interrupt the cynical, dogmatic, pack-mentality run-away steam train that is in progress here on this thread and gaining momentum with every post,

Cynical, dogmatic, pack-mentality..etc.?...Are you being serious? I don’t quite understand how you came to that conclusion, can you give some examples of our ‘pack-mentality run-away steam train’?

quote] but please consider the following:NDW
“If in fact the words ‘God’ and ‘life’ are describing the same thing…well, we have some major, major theological implications here.

Does anybody see anything terribly destructive in his view that God is life, in terms of its impact on society?  Hypothetically, what if all religious people of the world were to abandon religion and take this view?  Would that not be progress?

I read most of NDW books when I was trying to deprogram myself from my old beliefs about God, and it did seem like a great progress to me.  But the more I read of Neale’s beliefs, the more repulsed I was.  On the surface, yes, it would be an improvement over other’s theistic beliefs.  But if you read more of Neale’s ideas, they are as cruel as any fundamentalist religious nut.  He is a big proponent of blaming victims of abuse and violence and oppression…they wanted it according to Neale.  He is fond of saying “there are no victims or villians.”  He thinks people who are poor can just ‘choose’ not to be, children who are molested might have really liked it but are being brainwashed by children’s rights groups.  And there’s more.  I find him despicable, not due to any ‘dogmatism’ but as a human being with compassion.

Posted: 08 January 2009 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
selinakyle - 08 January 2009 12:23 AM

Sorry to interrupt the cynical, dogmatic, pack-mentality run-away steam train that is in progress here on this thread and gaining momentum with every post,...

Cynical, dogmatic, pack-mentality..etc.?...Are you being serious? I don’t quite understand how you came to that conclusion, can you give some examples of our ‘pack-mentality run-away steam train’?

Look at most of the posts on the first page.  Nearly everyone is agreeing with each other, making cynical jokes about the idea, calling NDW a f-wit, and refusing at all to look at the issue from a positive perspective, despite the that his idea of God being life could lead to some progress.

...but please consider the following:NDW
“If in fact the words ‘God’ and ‘life’ are describing the same thing…well, we have some major, major theological implications here.

Does anybody see anything terribly destructive in his view that God is life, in terms of its impact on society?  Hypothetically, what if all religious people of the world were to abandon religion and take this view?  Would that not be progress?

selinakyle - 08 January 2009 12:23 AM

I read most of NDW books when I was trying to deprogram myself from my old beliefs about God, and it did seem like a great progress to me.  But the more I read of Neale’s beliefs, the more repulsed I was.  On the surface, yes, it would be an improvement over other’s theistic beliefs.  But if you read more of Neale’s ideas, they are as cruel as any fundamentalist religious nut.  He is a big proponent of blaming victims of abuse and violence and oppression…they wanted it according to Neale.  He is fond of saying “there are no victims or villians.”  He thinks people who are poor can just ‘choose’ not to be, children who are molested might have really liked it but are being brainwashed by children’s rights groups.  And there’s more.  I find him despicable, not due to any ‘dogmatism’ but as a human being with compassion.

Most of those are some deranged ideas, which were not mentioned in the o.p., and I wouldn’t defend them.

[ Edited: 09 January 2009 01:01 AM by Immediate Suppression]
 Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 27 August 2014 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2014-08-24

Richard Dawkins does have a God-like figure in the Blind Watchmaker. It reminds me of that old saying ’ the mills od God grind slowly but they grind exceeding small. Its difficult to get worked up over the beauties of the Blind Watchmaker especially as Mr Dawkins makes a point of saying he has no particular end in veiw he just keeps working unconsciously like those million monkeys trying to create the works of Shakespeare. When it comes to the formation of self replicating molecules to get fhe old man going he has to resort to chance and we are back go the million monkeys. Mind you its a masterpiece of logical thinking produced by n amazing mind.

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed