4 of 5
Was The End of Faith the Beginning?
Posted: 04 January 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20
hmmm - 04 January 2009 09:27 PM
lindajean - 04 January 2009 08:26 PM

Hmmm, this is the most brilliant and honest writing I have ever read on this forum.

WOW, I think that is the nicest thing someone has ever said about my writing! Thanks for the kind words. You weren’t being sarcastic, were you? LOL Nice to know I am not alone in my thought processes.

No sarcasm—-unless there is a smiley face at the end.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 04 January 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Dennis Campbell - 04 January 2009 09:50 PM

Hmmm

BTW, agree with Lindajean’s post.  She has not come across as someone with an “ax” to grind.  I’d take her compliments as sincere and not some manipulation.  Thsi can be a nasty forum sometimes, with “tetesterone” often exceeding one person admitting they appreciate another’s ideas, even if they diagree in some respects.

Welcome to this sandbox.

Dennis

Dennis shoots a straight arrow as well—-in spite of all of his testosterone.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 04 January 2009 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2075
Joined  2007-07-20

Lindajean,

Well in all candor, they’re fewer of them than in earlier years.  That’s actually not something I regret.  Ah, well, but that’s another story in some other forum…..

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 04 January 2009 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Dennis Campbell - 04 January 2009 10:19 PM

Lindajean,

Well in all candor, they’re fewer of them than in earlier years.  That’s actually not something I regret.  Ah, well, but that’s another story in some other forum…..

Dennis

No regrets…....that’s worth savoring.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 04 January 2009 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Lindajean,

Well, I will admit to some wee hours erotic fantasies that come from time to time, with no regrets except that they are fantasies.

Dennis

Signature 

Truth, especially “moral truth,” is that elusive human creation whose exclusive apprehension is claimed by many, who then sanctimoniously condemn anyone else who does not agree with their particular apprehension, while denying that any question can be posed about their own apprehension.  I will try to avoid that tendency.  DEC

Posted: 04 January 2009 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11
hmmm - 04 January 2009 06:44 PM

Your writings can be harsh ...

But I’m actually just a teddy bear. Harshness is sort of defense mechanism in these shark-infested waters. You know the golden rule - “eat others before they eat you.” I apologize.

There are people who believe that once a person states a view or opinion that it is set in cement and that defines their personality or character for life.

I can say “amen” to that, sista. On this forum, people who in real life are probably good, moral, law-abiding citizens who adopt abandoned pets and children have been consigned to the lowest levels of hell because of some of the thoughts they have expressed in writing.

However, if we met in person you would probably intimidate me so that I would lose the ability to express my thoughts in a meaningful way and you would think I am shallow or an idiot.

I doubt that. Besides, I get the feeling we have already met.

A man’s thinking vs. woman’s thinking come with total opposite perspectives, yet many times reach the same results.  Perhaps, that is why you do not get as many females to respond.

Shucks, I always thought of myself as a babe magnet.

Posted: 04 January 2009 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

Hmmm, Bruce is one of those mild-mannered attorneys quite unlike those who love to bark their implausible views on the talk-show circuit in order to raise their hourly fee. I’ve never seen him in a courtroom, though. Maybe he comes to roaring life then, but I doubt it. He’s not a D.A., after all, though being a prosecutor doesn’t necessarily translate to jerkiness, either.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 04 January 2009 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-01-24
unknown zone - 05 January 2009 12:38 AM

Hmmm, Bruce is one of those mild-mannered attorneys quite unlike those who love to bark their implausible views on the talk-show circuit in order to raise their hourly fee. I’ve never seen him in a courtroom, though. Maybe he comes to roaring life then, but I doubt it. He’s not a D.A., after all, though being a prosecutor doesn’t necessarily translate to jerkiness, either.

So you have met him too.  I have heard several here have. I am sure there is some decency in him; he did not chew me up for dinner when responding as many others on this forum have done in the past.

Posted: 04 January 2009 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-01-24
Bruce Burleson - 05 January 2009 12:11 AM

But I’m actually just a teddy bear. Harshness is sort of defense mechanism in these shark-infested waters. You know the golden rule - “eat others before they eat you.” I apologize.

Nice rule, I will have to remember that one

I can say “amen” to that, sista. On this forum, people who in real life are probably good, moral, law-abiding citizens who adopt abandoned pets and children have been consigned to the lowest levels of hell because of some of the thoughts they have expressed in writing.

The tongue and the written word can be killers. But the virtual world is a great hiding place.  It can also be a great place to just open up and forget about being careful.  After all, who cares what is said, chances are you will never meet the people you are talking to on the other side of the screen any way.

I doubt that. Besides, I get the feeling we have already met.

I can reassure you we have not met. I have not been out side my home in over four years. My source to the outside world is right here at my computer.

Shucks, I always thought of myself as a babe magnet.

You probably are a hunk, aren’t most successful lawyers?  But then again, can you draw that hunky figure in a forum such as this with mere words?  Only if you post a picture of yourself and try to explain why you look the way you do.  Then how do we know that is really you?  We don’t, unless a face to face meeting is planned.  Then all the disappointment starts flooding in because we are not living up to the lies posted on the net, so it is better just to converse in a forum like this and form your own opinions of those who post continuously on these meaningless sites to fulfill some unknown void in their lives.

“Posting with great sarcasm and tongue in cheek.  I am sure you are a great guy, at least that is my humble opinion based on your posts. ” smile

Posted: 05 January 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-01-24

OMG!!! Not what I expected at all. Where did you get this picture of the US Most Wanted bulletin board? Oh well… I guess he will have to post his real picture to reestablish my view of a hunk. LOL!

[ Edited: 05 January 2009 08:15 AM by hmmm]

Posted: 05 January 2009 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Looks like a funeral home director?

Dennis

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2009 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20
Jefe - 05 January 2009 01:37 PM

Edit: The pic below was from last summer when Bruce Burleson and Sander met in person.  Bruce on the right.

The facial hair helps, and it appears the stickectomy went well.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 05 January 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Gad, still looks like a funeral home director, ready to offer his services to the recently bereaved.  But, if I took off my hat, I’d look like one of the recently deceased, so he’s ahead in the photogenic game.

The newest pics of Bruce quite nice, and I especially admire the classy facial hair, speaking of course with no bias at all.

Dennis

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2009 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11

This is getting way too personal now.

I’m obviously not a hunk, stud, babe magnet, or anything approaching the above. However, in spite of all the meanness that comes out of me on this forum, I’m really a nice guy.

Dennis - a funeral home director????!!!! That may be the worst thing anyone has ever said about me.  But practicing law and posting on the Sam Harris forum does put me in contact with a lot of dead people, so maybe it’s wearing off.

Posted: 05 January 2009 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
Jefe - 05 January 2009 12:10 PM

At one point in his life, Bruce may have looked like this.

Thanks for deflating my ego by reminding me of the awful reality.

4 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed