Atheists and love. morality etc.
Posted: 27 December 2008 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-09-25

Hope that everyone had a nice Christmas. How wonderful it is to be able to communicate with people who   are intelligent enough to know that snakes can’t talk and that the Sun has always stood still.

I would argue that the majority of atheists are very moral people. I grew up a fundamentalists in the rural South and know these people very well. They are good neighbors, but seem not to care a lot about people who are different from them. They are the victims of the devide and conquer concept. [Keep the poor whites and blacks devided and they will leave the ruling class alone].

Many years ago there was speculation that atheistism would lead to social Darwinism. I believe that time has proven this wrong. The Christian Right are among the strongest defenders of the great monopolies and canyons of wealth that comprise modern society, while the nonreligious tend to be the reformers. I am the author of a book, ” I Thought I Would Never Make It Through The 4th Grade, which can be ordered from any book st0re and is available on line, I S B N no. 1-4137-9976-0.

Posted: 01 January 2009 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2008-10-19
thomascrosthwaite - 27 December 2008 02:27 PM

Hope that everyone had a nice Christmas.

Actually, I didn’t, though I did have a nice winter solstice celebration.  But I hope you enjoyed your religious holiday which you chose to celebrate.

How wonderful it is to be able to communicate with people who   are intelligent enough to know that snakes can’t talk and that the Sun has always stood still.

The Sun hasn’t always existed, so I doubt many in here would agree with you that it has always stood still.

I would argue that the majority of atheists are very moral people.

In comparison to whom?  Pol Pot, Hitler, or Stalin?

I grew up a fundamentalists in the rural South and know these people very well. They are good neighbors, but seem not to care a lot about people who are different from them.

Quite a generalization there.  Same could be said for atheists.

Many years ago there was speculation that atheistism would lead to social Darwinism. I believe that time has proven this wrong.

You might be able to make that claim if a significant portion of our population had become atheists.  But this is not the case.  The only thing time has proven is that atheism is neither a popular or respected position to take in mainstream society.  Check the polls for evidence.

The Christian Right are among the strongest defenders of the great monopolies and canyons of wealth that comprise modern society, while the nonreligious tend to be the reformers. I am the author of a book, ” I Thought I Would Never Make It Through The 4th Grade, which can be ordered from any book st0re and is available on line, I S B N no. 1-4137-9976-0.

Congrats on your book, I’ll check it out.

Sorry about my cynicism, It seems as though I might be in the process of becoming an atheist.

Signature 

Please call me Immediate

Posted: 02 January 2009 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2008-10-08

The sun is moving very fast, actually.

Signature 

“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of the death penalty…” -Sam Harris
“There is undoubtedly an important secular debate to be had about the ethics of embryonic stem cell research and abortion…” -Me

Jump through the Blackmun Hole!

Salt Creek has discovered the meaning of the first half of “Nulono”. Now, what language uses “nul” for zero?

Posted: 03 January 2009 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16
Nulono - 02 January 2009 09:19 PM

The sun is moving very fast, actually.

Relative to what? You have to define a coordinate system before concepts such as speed have any meaning.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed