2 of 2
I just finished “Who Wrote The Bible” by Prof. Richard Friedman
Posted: 19 January 2009 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04
DancingFoolVB - 17 January 2009 11:00 PM

Ah, I recently read The End of Biblical Studies.  It will probably be the next book that I blog about.  Very insightful, but focused mostly on the academic discipline of biblical studies.  I agreed with most of what he said.  Have fun with that one too!

I thought it dry and didactic.

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 19 January 2009 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Stephanie - 18 January 2009 09:19 AM
DancingFoolVB - 17 January 2009 11:00 PM

Ah, I recently read The End of Biblical Studies.  It will probably be the next book that I blog about.  Very insightful, but focused mostly on the academic discipline of biblical studies.  I agreed with most of what he said.  Have fun with that one too!

Great!  I thought a book about the academic side of biblical studies would be an interesting read.

I’ll add it to my long list of must reads.

Stephanie, you seem fairly grounded in your beliefs…why not read Ehrman, Pagels, Mack, Doherty or Spong?

Being secular, I still read the Christian apologist.  Who knows, you may only reinforce your bias (as I do).

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2009 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-12-09

Stephanie, you seem fairly grounded in your beliefs…why not read Ehrman, Pagels, Mack, Doherty or Spong?

I have read Ehrman’s “Misquoting Jesus.”  He is the one who referred me to “Who Wrote The Bible.”  I am mainly interested in the Old Testament right now. Do you have any book suggestions?  I never heard of Spong or Mack. I’ll look them up.

Signature 

Life has the meaning you give it.

Posted: 19 January 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Stephanie - 19 January 2009 09:18 PM

I have read Ehrman’s “Misquoting Jesus.”  He is the one who referred me to “Who Wrote The Bible.”  I am mainly interested in the Old Testament right now. Do you have any book suggestions?  I never heard of Spong or Mack. I’ll look them up.

Burton Mack and John Shelby Spong.

Wow, the OT.  There are so many scholars to read, most with an exegesis to fit their particular view.  I might suggest reading ‘A History of the Jews’ by Paul Johnson and ‘Antiquities of the Jews’ by Josephus while studying the OT.  The OT is ‘bronze age’ material and it helps to understand cultural aspects before tackling the scriptures.  Karen Armstrong writes some great criticism, neither pro or con, on Judaism, Christianity and the OT…try her.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2009 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2008-12-09

Thanks!  I will check them out.

Signature 

Life has the meaning you give it.

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed