3 of 7
The Possibility of Prosecution
Posted: 13 February 2009 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19
teuchter - 13 February 2009 11:26 PM

I’m sure my phones been tapped by the feds several times because I had a client in Iran and a very good friend in Pakistan;  those kind of taps you don’t know about, because they are done through the central switch.  It’s just the do-it-yourself jobs at a local switch that make sounds or cause echoes.

Well, sounds or no sounds, I knew just the overseas call from Afghanistan qualified it en masse to be separated out. I believe the conversations get recorded and that’s what is listened to initially. I missed a little piece of the show on that part. It was supposed to be overseas calls only but domestic calls were being indiscriminately reviewed in droves.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 13 February 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

Oh yeah.  You got a call from Afghanistan?  You got tapped.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 14 February 2009 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

You have reason to be paranoid. The constitution can be and is bypassed via “extraordinary rendition” and other clandestine methods.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 22 February 2009 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

Tomorrow Rove will be called to testify.  This will be interesting.  I find it disturbing that Obama’s chief counsel is so buddy-buddy with Rove. Calls for him to recuse himself are valid.

Legal documents show that Craig could have a conflict of interest since he has represented Rove in the past, and informed sources say he is a close friend of Rove who has been seen drinking with him in Washington bars on occasion. Craig is also an old acquaintance of Don Siegelman. They met in 1968, Siegelman confirmed in an e-mail message, although he has so far not agreed to reveal more about their relationship over the years.

http://blog.locustfork.net/2009/02/22/white-house-counsel-may-have-a-conflict-in-rove-case/

Pelosi is getting heated up over investigations into torture, et, al. After watching Taxi to the Dark Side and Rendition recently, not to investigate these events would be a complete denial of crimes committed. All Americans should watch these movies.  They are a horrendous dramatization of what kinds of atrocities occurred. I’m convinced most people would be in shock and awe over our governments complicity.

From Keith Obermann this week:

Meantime, on Capitol Hill, Speaker Pelosi indicating she is open to the idea of prosecuting Rove and others, as well as to a truth commission to fully investigate abuses.  In an interview with “Rolling Stone” magazine, the speaker was asked, quote, “Do you foresee a scenario in which senior members of the Bush administration are actually prosecuted?”  Pelosi answering, “I think so.  The American people deserve answers.  Where we are now in terms of prosecution of White House staff is that we have charged them with contempt of Congress.  We‘re talking about Harriet Miers, Josh Bolten and Karl Rove.”

Howard Fineman:

Now, the whole question of the buildup for the war and whether lies were told about that and the reason for that is—she believes that she and other Democrats on the Hill knew that it was a phony deal, said so at the time, and she doesn‘t think there is any percentage of going over that particularly.  But yes on torture, yes on possibly the eavesdropping things, yes on Guantanamo, and certainly, especially yes on the question of coming before the Congress to testify.  She is really determined on that point and seems very eager to try to haul Karl Rove and others into court for contempt.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29301448/

If something does not pan out, I will sincerely be ashamed of being an American. I might fall into a deep depression and never emerge again.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

Posted: 22 February 2009 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15
lindajean - 22 February 2009 11:06 AM

I might fall into a deep depression and never emerge again.

(Andrew):  You’ll not forget our wager, I hope, on your way down?

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 22 February 2009 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
lindajean - 22 February 2009 11:06 AM

If something does not pan out, I will sincerely be ashamed of being an American.

(Andrew):  I’ve been there since about 1968.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 24 February 2009 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Change we can believe in!

The Obama administration, siding with former President George W. Bush, is trying to kill a lawsuit that seeks to recover what could be millions of missing White House e-mails.

Even though…

Tom Blanton, director of the National Security Archive, noted that President Barack Obama on his first full day in office called for greater transparency in government.

And then there’s this:

...[yesterday] was the day that Karl Rove was supposed to appear before the House Judiciary committee to testify about the US Attorney firings. And of course, Rove didn’t show.

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Andrew - 24 February 2009 07:52 AM

Change we can believe in!

The Obama administration, siding with former President George W. Bush, is trying to kill a lawsuit that seeks to recover what could be millions of missing White House e-mails.

Even though…

Tom Blanton, director of the National Security Archive, noted that President Barack Obama on his first full day in office called for greater transparency in government.

And then there’s this:

...[yesterday] was the day that Karl Rove was supposed to appear before the House Judiciary committee to testify about the US Attorney firings. And of course, Rove didn’t show.

These guys have no balls. A sham and a scam. My confidence in BHO has taken a drastic plunge.  Now what will the Judiciary Committee do to continue appeasing and indulging?

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 29 March 2009 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Here ya go, lindajean!

Criminal proceedings have begun in Spain against six senior officials in the Bush administration for the use of torture against detainees in Guantánamo Bay.

The officials named in the case include the most senior legal minds in the Bush administration. They are: Alberto Gonzales, a former White House counsel and attorney general; David Addington, former vice-president Dick Cheney’s chief of staff; Douglas Feith, who was under-secretary of defence; William Haynes, formerly the Pentagon’s general counsel; and John Yoo and Jay Bybee, who were both senior justice department legal advisers.

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2009 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-20
Andrew - 29 March 2009 06:26 AM

Here ya go, lindajean!

Criminal proceedings have begun in Spain against six senior officials in the Bush administration for the use of torture against detainees in Guantánamo Bay.

The officials named in the case include the most senior legal minds in the Bush administration. They are: Alberto Gonzales, a former White House counsel and attorney general; David Addington, former vice-president Dick Cheney’s chief of staff; Douglas Feith, who was under-secretary of defence; William Haynes, formerly the Pentagon’s general counsel; and John Yoo and Jay Bybee, who were both senior justice department legal advisers.

Promising….
...but what it does not tell us is what happens when the thugs ignore the subpoenas (we know they will) and does Spain have any jurisdiction that carries over into the US? 

Still…it’s a step in the right direction. Maybe Bush and Vice will finally lose a couple of hours of sleep tonight.

Signature 

Howard Zinn

Posted: 29 March 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

If I were Alberto Gonzales or John Yoo, I wouldn’t plan a European vacation this summer.

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2009 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

What Digby said:

The end of the NY Times article shows why the US can hardly claim that Spain is acting irresponsibly beyond its own borders and violating the soveriegnty of other nations, because in one recent case we did almost exactly the same thing:

The United States for the first time this year used a law that allows for the prosecution in the United States of torture in other countries. On Jan. 10, a Miami court sentenced Charles Taylor, the former Liberian leader, to 97 years in a federal prison for torture, even though the crimes were committed in Liberia.
Last October, when the Miami court handed down the conviction, Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey applauded the ruling and said: “This is the first case in the United States to charge an individual with criminal torture. I hope this case will serve as a model to future prosecutions of this type.”

So do I.

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-20
lindajean - 29 March 2009 09:29 AM

...but what it does not tell us is what happens when the thugs ignore the subpoenas (we know they will) and does Spain have any jurisdiction that carries over into the US?

I doubt Spain will invade the US to arrest anyone, but Pinochet was detained in London due to a Spanish warrant for violation of human rights.

From the NY Times article entitled Spanish Court Weighs Inquiry on Torture for 6 Bush-Era Officials, available
here

But some American experts said that even if warrants were issued their significance could be more symbolic than practical, and that it was a near certainty that the warrants would not lead to arrests if the officials did not leave the United States.

With respect to jurisdiction of Spain, the article said this:

Spain can claim jurisdiction in the case because five citizens or residents of Spain who were prisoners at Guantánamo Bay have said they were tortured there. The five had been indicted in Spain, but their cases were dismissed after the Spanish Supreme Court ruled that evidence obtained under torture was not admissible.

Furthermore, my recollection is that when the home country of a human rights abuser fails to take action, universal jurisdiction confers on every signatory to the human rights convention the power to prosecute.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 31 March 2009 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

They should expect the Spanish Inquisition—

Spain doing the right thing—Rachel Maddow video

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 31 March 2009 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-20
rab - 31 March 2009 08:35 PM

They should expect the Spanish Inquisition—

Ooooh!  Mr. Gonzales, we just can’t keep going around and around on this.  Answer the fucking question!

Signature 

3 of 7

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed