“When I was a neo-fundamentalist rational neo-atheist…”
Posted: 03 February 2009 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-01-04

Did Sam Harris really write this essay published on edge.org?

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/coyne09/coyne09_index.html#harriss

When I was a militant neo-rationalist, I had a sinking feeling that my colleagues and I had not fully reckoned with Boyle on the argument from Design and were, as a result, risking public humiliation. Now it has come to pass…

When I was a neo-fundamentalist rational neo-atheist I used to criticize such behavior as an especially shameful sign of religious stupidity. I now realize—belatedly and to my great chagrin—that I knew nothing of the pain that a pious Muslim man might feel at the sight of young women learning to read. Who am I to criticize the public expression of his faith?

What a shocking reversal of opinion!

Posted: 03 February 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-01-04

Moderators, you can delete this post.

I reposted in Faith (general issues) as I thought that would be more appropriate.  Please do not delete both!

(Repost is here) http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewthread/11710/

Thank you very much.

-Skyhook

Posted: 03 February 2009 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

This cannot be the same Sam Harris who wrote TEOF.  Doesn’t write like him, or read like him. Not sure what’s going on here.

Posted: 03 February 2009 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

That does not even sound Like Sam Harris. If so, he needs to write another book. ‘The End of Faith’ sure sounds out of character for him now!

That sounds more like Stephen Gould than Sam Harris.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 03 February 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Hope you are right Jefe. With him calling out Dennett and calling Dawkins THE WORST I could not help but think something is going on here.

I liked Steven Pinkers analogy. Both Science and Religion have to be subjected to REASON!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 03 February 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-01-29

He’s being sarcastic, but I got to admit the first few paragraphs throw me off a bit.

here

Posted: 05 February 2009 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3765
Joined  2007-03-11

I received an e-mail from Sam (assume you got it, too) saying it was him who wrote the piece, and it was satire.

Posted: 11 February 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-11

Hi, Newbie here-post #2.

I’m really amazed that folks thought the Edge essay was a scam! I heard Harris’s voice in it, and I knew the essay dripped with irony. The title of this thread kinda gave it away as well.

The fact that Harris replied to other commentators, in a forum that is fairly difficult to spoof was probably another clue.

Ah well.

tjh

Posted: 19 February 2009 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-12-06
TJ Hanlon - 11 February 2009 10:20 PM

Hi, Newbie here-post #2.

I’m really amazed that folks thought the Edge essay was a scam! I heard Harris’s voice in it, and I knew the essay dripped with irony. The title of this thread kinda gave it away as well.

The fact that Harris replied to other commentators, in a forum that is fairly difficult to spoof was probably another clue.

Ah well.

tjh

I got the email from Sam saying he wrote it. It was absolutely hilarious! I was surprised by the responses to Jerry Coyne’s article too, Sam just rips them to shreds. smile

Posted: 13 March 2009 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05

It was pretty obviously a spoof.  I thought that was clear by the second paragraph.  Good stuff.

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

Posted: 13 March 2009 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Yeah right brf, you just read Jefe’s post first! grin

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 13 March 2009 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04

From the article (2nd paragraph):

They don’t realize, as Dyson must, that the more one understands neurology, the more one will understand—and honor—demonology. Have Coyne and Dennett read the work of sophisticated magicians like Aleister Crowley or Eliphas Levi? Don’t count on it. Ask yourself, how could matter conflict with spirit in any way? Answer: it cannot. Forgive me, but I find it embarrassing to have to explain these things to people who are supposed be well educated.

It brings to mind jenaseen’s NDE thread.  Although I understand Harris is being tongue-in-cheek, jenaseen is quite serious as she increasingly spews her condescending diatribe.

Arrogance and religious faith are a toxic combo.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed