High IQ linked to reduced risk of death…
Posted: 13 March 2009 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

in a million Swede’s anyway. Hell this has always been a bit of a ‘no brainer’ to me. (sorry about the attempted humor there)

Link
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312140009.htm

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 13 March 2009 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
McCreason - 13 March 2009 12:30 PM

in a million Swede’s anyway. Hell this has always been a bit of a ‘no brainer’ to me. (sorry about the attempted humor there)

Link
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312140009.htm

I’m gonna keep popping them smart pills, I get to be a bright and maybe live forever.  big surprise

Posted: 13 March 2009 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-02-25

“People with higher IQ test scores tend to be less likely to smoke or drink alcohol heavily, they eat better diets, and they are more physically active. So they have a range of better behaviours that may partly explain their lower mortality risk,” says Dr Batty.

People with higher IQ’s probably have better paying jobs and more rewarding jobs.  Therefore it is their job that gives them enjoyment, so they are not as tempted to go to the bottle or the pipe.  No doubt their IQ allowed them to get them that job.  Nevertheless I think its more likely the job itself that helps them to live a healthy life more than ones mere IQ.

Posted: 14 March 2009 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

I’m quite sure that all living creatures have a 100% risk of death eventually. Intelligence is defined and measured by those in power. Those who have socioeconomic advantages tend to have less overt environmental dangers. Those who live in neighborhoods with frequent shootings are not likely to do well on tests designed by someone from the burbs. Someone who can afford fresh veggies and have the time to prepare them will have different health risks than the guy with two jobs who lives on Big Macs. Finally, intelligence does not necessarily translate into happiness.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 14 March 2009 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
Beam - 14 March 2009 09:12 AM

I’m quite sure that all living creatures have a 100% risk of death eventually.

That was my first thought as well. Maybe the headline is a wishful kind of Freudian thing?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 14 March 2009 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
Beam - 14 March 2009 09:12 AM

I’m quite sure that all living creatures have a 100% risk of death eventually. Intelligence is defined and measured by those in power. Those who have socioeconomic advantages tend to have less overt environmental dangers. Those who live in neighborhoods with frequent shootings are not likely to do well on tests designed by someone from the burbs. Someone who can afford fresh veggies and have the time to prepare them will have different health risks than the guy with two jobs who lives on Big Macs. Finally, intelligence does not necessarily translate into happiness.

The difference between Sweden and Texas.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed