Jesus Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman
Posted: 20 March 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

‘JESUS, INTERRUPTED: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don’t Know About Them)’ by Bart D. Ehrman

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Interrupted-Revealing-Hidden-Contradictions/dp/0061173932/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_i

Scroll down to editorial review, click on customer reviews, etc.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

I haven’t read this one yet but certainly recommend Ehrman who is both entertaining and accessible to the reader.

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 22 March 2009 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15

I just order it and The Potable Atheist, look forward to reading them.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 22 March 2009 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2009-01-19
GAD - 22 March 2009 12:44 PM

I just order it and The Potable Atheist

I like that one! A safe-to-drink atheist! LOL

Posted: 22 March 2009 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15
Piero - 22 March 2009 09:23 PM
GAD - 22 March 2009 12:44 PM

I just order it and The Potable Atheist

I like that one! A safe-to-drink atheist! LOL

LOL, OK, should say, I just ordered it and The Portable Atheist. God damn spelling! smile

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 23 March 2009 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Is Jesus Interrupted like coitus interruptus? I say no. Por que? Some things ARE harmful if swallowed.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 23 March 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Jesus Interrupted?

When you see (on TV) the Rev. Joel Osteen preaching to 10,000 people in his megachurch (a former sports arena), you’d think at least one person in that multitude would stand up and interrupt him once in a while. (Like, even President Bush had a shoe thrown at him).  “Wait!  Wait!  Hang on there just a dang minute Joel!  Do you mean to stand up there and tell us that everyone can be rich like you?”  But it never happens.  I suppose they’d just edit it out of the telecast if it DID happen.

Does anyone ever interrupt the Pope?  I guess his motorcade has a bullet-proof shield.  If anyone threw a shoe at him I guess he’d be quickly pummeled to death by the faithful.

Was Jesus ever interrupted?  “Hold it Rabbi!  I represent the Sea of Galilee Winery Association . . .”  See what I mean?  He must have threatened the livlihood of a lot of people and stepped on a lot of toes.  Undertakers must have started to get worried.  And hog farmers!  Two-thousand hogs drowned in that one episode, and no mention of anyone paying for the damages.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 23 March 2009 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I can’t wait to get ahold of the newest writings of iconoclasm entitled-

‘Jesus Unsmoked’  wink

That is of course not to be confused with Eric Clapton unplugged.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed