I honestly don't know what to say about this…..
Posted: 31 January 2006 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-04

As a non-American, I find this one hard to believe.  But, once I stopped rolling on the floor, I thought I'd bring it to the board here for a laugh.

My personal favorite bit…

He accepts that this particular brand of muscular Christianity is not for everyone, but disputed the idea that faith and pro-wrestling were incompatible.

He pointed out that in the Old Testament, Jacob wrestled with an angel.

Irrefutable!

Posted: 31 January 2006 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Down on Wrightsville Avenue in Wilmington, we have a Christian Karati dojo with a big sign out front that says: “Kicking for Christ!”

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 31 January 2006 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-04

Geez eh?  What ever happened to the ol’ “Turn the other cheek”?  wink

Posted: 31 January 2006 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

Professional wrestling has always been about “theater” and “good” vs “evil” fantasy. 

This is nothing different….....just appealing to a specific niche (fundie) audience.

I’m surprise that someone has not entered the ring as an “evil atheist”...........Pete, this may be your chance to get name recognition in preparation for you political career :>)

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 01 February 2006 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I just saw a local news clip on this schtick the other day—absolutely hilarious! I drive by that church in Winterville pretty often—noticed the sign a while back and I’ve been tempted to go check it out. I have friends who’ve gone to the show and they felt like they had to be careful to keep their guard up to avoid laughing too much and drawing negative attention to themselves. I wouldn’t worry too much about that sort of thing myself, so we’ll see—I may decide to go myself at some point (it’s obviously not terribly high on my agenda).

We had a “revival” that went on for something like two or three years a little while back at a church out here too. Such things are pretty interesting from a sociological perspective . . . usually pretty damn funny, too.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 13 February 2006 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2005-11-22

Go on SkepticX, go along and let us know how you went!

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed