For all of you shellfish eaters
Posted: 27 March 2009 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

This new study says crabs feel pain and remember it. Whats next, will we find that they have written language as well? Shame on us for not respecting the lowly crustaceans of our planet.  cheese Link.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/27/crabs.memorypain/index.html

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 27 March 2009 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
McCreason - 27 March 2009 11:27 AM

This new study says crabs feel pain and remember it. Whats next, will we find that they have written language as well? Shame on us for not respecting the lowly crustaceans of our planet.  cheese Link.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/27/crabs.memorypain/index.html

But they don’t remember the pain after they’ve been cooked and eaten.  It’s the raw oysters that get to experience the horrors of being ripped from their shell, swallowed, and slowly digested.

Posted: 29 March 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-29

PETA is going to love this. I live near Rockland Maine and recently read that they will be at the lobster festival again this year weeping over the pain lobsters must suffer.

Signature 

ubi dubium ibi libertas

Posted: 29 March 2009 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

Leviticus 11:9-12 (King James Version)

9These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

And yet, there are the depraved shell fish eaters among us:

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 29 March 2009 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

Might have once made sense.  About 6 months ago I was reading up on the Mesopotamian “Omen Literature” which contained various weird stuff (e.g., what to do if a demon walks across your threshold), but also things like: if there is mold on your eastern wall in the morning perform the following ritual prayers while you scrub it off.  Or, more relevant to the shellfish, if the waters of the sea by the river mouth turn red there will be sickness in the land.

Posted: 30 March 2009 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

OMG! We infidels were actually smiling about the pain and suffering that was simultaneously occurring in the kitchen. Notice the presence of liquid courage which served to numb any feelings of shame. Evil, thy name is Beam.

This photo also provides evidence that some women are more attracted to character flaws than good looks. We must have been under the destructive influence of left coast liberals.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 06 April 2009 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  2007-12-20

If crabs do feel pain and remember it, I need some help here. If this is indeed a fact, do we not have some responsibility in understanding what this means?

If an animal can bear pain and we throw it alive in boiling water, then this kind of “pain” is not the kind of pain a human or mammal feels.  For example, it is not the same as throwing a dog or cat into a pot of boiling water.  But is it something that can be measured and scientifically shown that the animal wants to avoid or that can cause the animal to “suffer.”

I’m not sure what “pain” means here.

Signature 

“Every war is a war against children.”
Howard Zinn

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed