1 of 2
The Shack
Posted: 30 March 2009 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

My Doctor’s Day gift was “The Shack” by Wm. Paul Young. This was accompanied by a note that read; “This book will sufficiently answer your concerns about the problem of evil. We love you and look forward to having you join our Heavenly family.”

WTF? I’ve never heard of this book before today. Here are some of the endorsements.

When the imagination of a writer and the passion of a theologian cross-fertilize the result is a novel on the order of The Shack. This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress did for his. It’s that good!
Eugene Peterson, Professor Emeritus Of Spiritual Theology,
Regent College, Vancouver, B.C.

If God is all powerful and full of love, why doesn’t He do something about the pain and evil in our world?  This book answers that age old question with startling creativity and staggering clarity.  By far one of the best books I have ever read.
James Ryle, Author Hippo in the Garden

Wrapped in creative brilliance, The Shack is spiritually profound, theologically enlightening and life impacting. It has my highest recommendation.  We are joyfully giving copies away by the case.
Steve Berger, Pastor , Grace Chapel

Riveting, with twists that defy your expectations while teaching powerful theological lessons without patronizing. I was crying by page 100. You cannot read it without your heart becoming involved.
Gayle E. Erwin, Author The Jesus Style

The Shack is a one of a kind invitation to journey to the very heart of God. Through my tears and cheers,  I have been indeed transformed by the tender mercy with which William Paul Young opened the veil that too often separated me from God and from myself. With every page, the complicated do’s and don’t that distort a relationship into a religion were washed away as I understood Father, Son, and Holy Ghost for the first time in my life.
Patrick M. Roddy, Emmy Award Winning Producer of ABC News

I don’t know whether I should bother reading it so that I can respond to it; or send it back. The polite response would be to ignore it. I’ve never been accused of being polite. Any suggestions?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I think you should return it and say that you are a fundamentalist dogmatic atheist and you are not interested in reading such childish drivel.

Hows that for politically correct?  grrr

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

Me thinks they are expecting a miracle from some pulp fiction.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
McCreason - 30 March 2009 05:06 PM

I think you should return it and say that you are a fundamentalist dogmatic atheist and you are not interested in reading such childish drivel.

Hows that for politically correct?  grrr

What would IS say about that?

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

IS would be very proud of you for admitting what you truly are and proving him right. God bless you Scotty you honest heathen you!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

Of course whoever gave you the book obviously has a good deal of emotional energy tied up in it.  I suggest that you tread lightly, but maybe give them a copy of a book like No Country for Old Men.

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Heretical! And then be prepared to be burned alive at the stake!

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02

I guess I just don’t understand how a novel makes the problem of evil go away. Do they think that this admitted novel will somehow make me believe the novel that is now called The Bible? When will these people pull their heads out?

When the imagination of a writer and the passion of a theologian cross-fertilize the result is…

I thought they were opposed to that kind of thing.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
burt - 30 March 2009 05:54 PM

I suggest that you tread lightly, but maybe give them a copy of a book like No Country for Old Men.

That would be deliciously devious. I don’t think they would comprehend the irony. BTW, this is from an entire group of coworkers.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

‘I don’t think they would comprehend the irony.’

Seriously? C’mon.

Or you could give them a copy of Shermers ‘The Science of Good and Evil’ for a grown ups perspective of the issue. grin

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Obviously you must read the entire book Jefe, and you will be filled with the spirit while doing so and experience full understanding and enlightenment of what evil is for.

We already know though because BB told us all and spoiled the ending.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Slogged is probably the appropriate term here.

Is he related to Paul Bunyan? If so I might give it a try.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
McCreason - 30 March 2009 06:32 PM

Obviously you must read the entire book Jefe, and you will be filled with the spirit while doing so and experience full understanding and enlightenment of what evil is for.

My wife might not like the idea of me being filled by an Asian woman named Sarayu.

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2009 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

If you read it at work Beam, instead of hangin out here with us, you could pull it off. We know what you can get away with at a hospital. tongue wink

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 31 March 2009 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-02
McCreason - 30 March 2009 06:45 PM

If you read it at work Beam, instead of hangin out here with us, you could pull it off. We know what you can get away with at a hospital. tongue wink

I wish it was like the television shows. There is virtually no free time unless you force yourself to do something different for a few seconds to gather your sanity. The noise would be too distracting to read even if you actually had the luxury of free time to read. Believe me. If I could afford to not work, I would go nowhere near an ER unless I was dying of a recoverable condition. I am urging my children to chose a different career. Those who thrive best in this environment are those who can somehow turn off the constant suffering and futility. Pretending to be hard and cold helps a little.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2009 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

‘Pretending to be hard and cold helps a little.’

Many use that for a defense mechanism and I think it probably helps some, as you reiterated.

I am the opposite. I am naturally a misanthropic prick, but I go out of my way to kill people with kindness. Takes a a lot of work on my part and for many years. It helps me take the edge off however. grin

My sis in law is a RN, and man she works some nutty hours. What do you work, like 12 hour shifts for a few days and then a couple days off or something?

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed