Mixed emotions
Posted: 14 April 2009 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2922
Joined  2006-06-15

Nazi war crimes suspect John Demjanjuk was granted an emergency stay late Tuesday to block what appeared to be his imminent deportation to Germany.

(...)

Demjanjuk, 89…

Source

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 14 April 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

I understand your ambivalence,Andrew,but the 11th Commandment is an important one to uphold: “Thou shall not get away with it.”

On a slightly related note, there is a fine movie that deals with this subject; The Reader.

I can recommend it.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 15 April 2009 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Sander - 14 April 2009 09:22 PM

I understand your ambivalence,Andrew,but the 11th Commandment is an important one to uphold: “Thou shall not get away with it.”

On a slightly related note, there is a fine movie that deals with this subject; The Reader.

I can recommend it.

(Andrew):  Thanks.  I’ve heard a lot about it.  I’ll check and see if netflix has it yet.

Signature 

“Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.”—Kurt Vonnegut

Posted: 15 April 2009 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

One wonders how much of the pain evident on his face is caused by his degenerating body and how much (if any) is due to recollection.

I always think “hell” would be to be near the end of your life and realizing you’d made a complete hash of it. That always seems worse than sulfurous flames.

Of course this presupposes some sort of conscience - perhaps not applicable here.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

Posted: 11 May 2009 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15
Bad Rabbit - 14 April 2009 09:22 PM

I can recommend it.

(Andrew):  Watched it last night.  Excellent flick!  Thanks!

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed