Godless
Posted: 16 April 2009 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

by Dan Barker. About halfway through this and I must say already that this is an outstanding read! Way better than I expected. Has anyone heard Barkers radio program on Air America? He is a very, very bright man and seems to be a superb debater. In this book he attacks/addresses Theism from every conceivable angle. Now I understand why Dawkins, Hitchens and Shermer reviewed this book and gave it very high marks. They are correct. This is a must read for any freethinker. Being an ex-evangelical fudamentalist christian must make Barker a handful for any christian/theist these days. He explains it all, and that is no exaggeration. He has had the personal experiences, he has spoken in tongues. He has lived through all of the delusions and refutes all of the garbage extensively, thoroughly and intellectually.

I can’t wait to get into the second half!

Do this one, you won’t be dissapointed.

[ Edited: 16 April 2009 06:59 AM by eudemonia]
 Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 16 April 2009 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

Yeah, I used to listen to him on Air America whilst scaring the bejeesus out of my fellow California Highway users with my creative driving style.

He is a clever cookie indeed and I think I’ll pick up his book today at Borders.

Thanks for the tip Mac.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 16 April 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Bad Rabbit - 16 April 2009 11:04 AM

whilst scaring the bejeesus out of my fellow California Highway users with my creative driving style.

I hafta admit that Barker has a huge advantage over those like you and me, who have never spoken in tongues (formally, that is).

I don’t really have the goods to speak to believers about the problems of belief. Personal experience is still one’s ace in the whole.

It hurts to admit it, but I finally realize that all I have to bring to bear on this problem is a creative driving style. Can’t do that in a Testarossa.

Maybe I should go for a parody of the motto on some police cars: “To project and to swerve”.

[ Edited: 16 April 2009 09:39 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 16 April 2009 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

I’ve been tongue tied a few times but never spoken in them while filled with the ‘spirit’ Well, unless you mean certain spirits, then that’s a different story. I have awaken out of a slumber and had no clue as to what I had spoken previously but…I don’t think that’s what the Pentacostals are so fond of.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 16 April 2009 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
McCreason - 16 April 2009 02:09 PM

I’ve been tongue tied a few times but never spoken in them while filled with the ‘spirit’ Well, unless you mean certain spirits, then that’s a different story. I have awaken out of a slumber and had no clue as to what I had spoken previously but…I don’t think that’s what the Pentacostals are so fond of.

What does Pentecost?

Oh, about ten bucks a kilo, if you want lean.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 16 April 2009 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

I thought a pente cost 1 cent?

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 16 April 2009 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23
Salt Creek - 16 April 2009 03:48 PM

What does Pentecost?

Oh, about ten bucks a kilo, if you want lean.

SC, it comes by the gram. The “a” is extra.

Oh, and I’ve read Barker’s book. Following his train of thought one is surprised that there aren’t a lot more like him. He does make mention, however, that there are numerous preachers he’s talked to who’ve pretty much lost their faith but don’t know any other way to live. Interesting to note that one’s shaman of choice may be not be deluded so much as a full-blooded shyster.

Not a big surprise, I suppose - but interesting to hear it from the horse’s mouth.

[ Edited: 16 April 2009 02:51 PM by mpbrockman]
 Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed
newrelic.loglevel = "verbosedebug" newrelic.daemon.loglevel = "verbosedebug"