The Sotweed Factor
Posted: 19 April 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Unsmoked comments:

George Washington had a splendid farm, Jefferson and other American notables had farms - fields of cotton and tobacco, dozens or hundreds of slaves . . . but who did they inherit this wealth from?  Who were their fathers and grandfathers?  Who cleared these fields and planted the sotweed, making the soil say, ‘tobacco’, rather than elm and hickory?  What became of the red man who had burned the underbrush for thousands of years, maintaining the splendid hardwood forests of Eastern North America, drinking from the clear streams that criss-crossed Manahatta?

I lived in Maryland for several years; on sunny weekends wandering over hill and dale, stepping into abandoned slave cabins where now only the cows came to rest in the shade.  There, on a dusty shelf, I could still find a lead bookend embossed with a Greek Daphne or her sister playing the lyre.  Did the Africans who lived here have books?  Did they know whose image was on the bookend?

The Sotweed Factor by John Barth is a massive 1000 page spoof on the historical novel, or the Tom Jones genre - the colonies in the late 1600’s.  Read editorial and customer reviews at:

http://www.amazon.com/Sot-weed-Factor-John-Barth/dp/1903809509

[ Edited: 19 April 2009 12:31 PM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 19 April 2009 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

Read that years ago (68, 69?) and laughed my head off.

Posted: 21 April 2009 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

68,69 burt? I think, back in those days, that it was another type of weed that had you laughing your head off.  wink

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 21 April 2009 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

Sounds like a great book. I suspected from the threat title that this would involve Maryland, since the historical sites here talk about sotweed.

Unsmoked, what part of Maryland was that? I’m guessing the Eastern Shore since plantation slavery lasted there until the Civil War - Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both born there. My understanding is that most of the plantations on the other side of the Bay broke up after the Revolution.

Posted: 21 April 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
Carstonio - 21 April 2009 02:50 PM

Sounds like a great book. I suspected from the threat title that this would involve Maryland, since the historical sites here talk about sotweed.

Unsmoked, what part of Maryland was that? I’m guessing the Eastern Shore since plantation slavery lasted there until the Civil War - Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both born there. My understanding is that most of the plantations on the other side of the Bay broke up after the Revolution.

It was the rolling, pastoral country near Westminster.  A secretary in our office was from the Eastern Shore, and spoke of it, but I never made it over there.  From my window I could see the Blue Ridge about 20 miles away, and once bicycled there - up near Camp David.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 21 April 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20
McCreason - 21 April 2009 10:36 AM

68,69 burt? I think, back in those days, that it was another type of weed that had you laughing your head off.  wink

Let he who is without sin cast the first stoned.

By the way, I laughed my ass off, without aid of any pharmaceuticals, through The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor, but everyone I tried to give the book to thought I was insane.

Flashbacks?

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 22 April 2009 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
teuchter - 21 April 2009 08:40 PM
McCreason - 21 April 2009 10:36 AM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stoned.

By the way, I laughed my ass off, without aid of any pharmaceuticals, through The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor, but everyone I tried to give the book to thought I was insane.

Flashbacks?

I read it in ‘63, or maybe I should say ‘63-‘64 since I’m a slow reader - also without the aid of pharmaceuticals or weeds of any kind.  I see that it was revised in ‘67 and wonder what was changed.  Maybe it was just shortened as I see on the Amazon sight that the paperback is down to 700 or so pages.  Come to think of it, on the weed issue, I did have a dish of nettle greens that spring, as I did again last week; boiled of course, with the water changed.

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed