1 of 6
My argument
Posted: 29 April 2009 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2008-05-07

against any Religion that isn’t hanging on it’s fringes is not the Religion itself, but it’s customers being too credulous and it’s leaders being too intellectually dishonest. If, say, scientists all across the world would suddenly start dropping like flies, I would not be surprised if large masses of people would buy the explanation that they were of weak faith, and to stay calm and pray because Jesus is coming back soon. Say we have the misfortune of living in very corrupt times, much like Nazi Germany, but do not yet know it. The religious, more specifically, the too credulous, would be the central reason why such unsavory times are ahead for us in this type of scenario. History has good evidence to support this is what could likely happen. So… I hope we have a second Age of Reason soon, it would be something to celebrate. Until then I refuse to be optimistic.

Posted: 30 April 2009 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

As H.L. Mencken once said-

‘The problem with christianity is the christians.’

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 April 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2008-05-22
McCreason - 30 April 2009 10:23 AM

As H.L. Mencken once said-

‘The problem with christianity is the christians.’

So Christianity, in and of itself, is not the problem. It’s those Christians who make the label look bad, by not being very Jesus-like. I’ve always contended that I have no problem with Jesus…a great guy, BTW…..my beef is with a certain number of his nutty fans who wish to impose their beliefs on everyone else through the secular legal system and the science classroom.

IMHO, if Christianity had a lot more Bruces (or Salathiels), and a lot fewer “Champions”, I suspect that most on this forum would at least view Christianity with much less animosity, whether or not we agree with the beliefs.

Posted: 30 April 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Yeah, many chrsitians love the teachings of their Jeebus messiah myth until something disagrees with their worldview of might make right, so they then default to the OT and dig out some ancient Hebrew ‘eye for an eye’ bullshit.

I have for many decades witnessed that playing of the game.

Buts it’s OK say they.

Homosexuality being another example. Ignored by Jesus but referenced by christians to the OT.

I call bullshit on that deal.

Surely no truly devout christian justifies the cherry picking of scripture now do they?

But of course they do, thats why the OT was left in there. grin

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 April 2009 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-22
McCreason - 30 April 2009 02:51 PM

Homosexuality being another example. Ignored by Jesus but referenced by christians to the OT.

I call bullshit on that deal.

Well, they do reference it to the NT as well, but only to Paul’s words. You’re right; there are no quotables from Jesus himself to use against homosexuality.

Surely no truly devout christian justifies the cherry picking of scripture now do they?

But of course they do, thats why the OT was left in there.

Now, I’m sure that Salathiel has thoroughly schooled you by now on WHY the OT was left in there.

Posted: 30 April 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

I think I will trust the schooling of Bart Ehrman, a 30 year biblical scholar, not Salathiel, thank you very much.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 30 April 2009 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-25

The imminent problems get worse when one observes the Islamic nations. I desperately hope all intelligence and investigative agencies are aware that any mildly clever Jihadi can open a popular Hookah bar or Falafel stand in a popular city, smile, and serve arsenic, or any carcinogen or dangerous substance-laced offerings until he/she’s caught, whereupon they can simply attempt suicide or gleefully go through our legal system until they reach paradise. I refuse to stop being a fucking terrified citizen until this problem is fixed.

(Whoops, sorry. I guess I have two accounts from back when I was making a forum handle. I’m the OP.)

[ Edited: 30 April 2009 08:22 PM by ArgoSG]

Posted: 01 May 2009 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2007-10-08

Josh: I’ve always contended that I have no problem with Jesus…a great guy, BTW…..

Oh really Josh… and your contention that Jesus was a “great guy” comes from where exactly? The proclaimed Jeshua ben Nazarene never wrote a word… so your evaluation comes from what you think he said based on what Paul and other labeled unknowns said he said?  confused
Or was it from the musical “Jesus Christ Superstar?”

“Hair” maybe?

Arg, I understand and empathize with your frustration, but, I do hope you get over being a “fucking terrified citizen” and do what you can to inform others that their holy books are merely artifacts.

Signature 

“Proving the efficacy of a methodology without defining the word ‘efficacy’ can come back to bite you in the assertion.”—Salt Creek

Posted: 01 May 2009 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

Josh: I’ve always contended that I have no problem with Jesus…a great guy, BTW…..

Loosely translated, “Jesus was a stud-muffin.” Muffin’ the opportunity, Jesus said, “we are in the world, but not oven”.

Soldiers of the croissant. Leaven waits for thee. Loaf! and behold! Cheeses Crust!

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 01 May 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-22
isocratic infidel - 01 May 2009 05:44 AM

Oh really Josh… and your contention that Jesus was a “great guy” comes from where exactly?

Well, according to the gospel stories, he supposedly taught us to love one another, don’t cast stones, and follow the Golden Rule. He never owned any slaves, he never uttered a single word against homosexuality or gay marriage…in fact, he was silent on a lot of things that Christians today are so “up in arms” about (abortion, stem cells, evolution, etc.). The only people that seemed to grind his gears were hypocrites! So he really doesn’t sound like a bad guy to me. In fact, I would like to see a lot more Christians become more like Jesus, and less like themselves.

The proclaimed Jeshua ben Nazarene never wrote a word… so your evaluation comes from what you think he said based on what Paul and other labeled unknowns said he said?  confused

Unfortunately, until I receive that Delorean time machine that I requested for my birthday, and can time travel back to meet him myself…..the historical accounts of his life are all we have to go on. Why didn’t he write anything himself? That’s the first thing I’ll ask him.

Or was it from the musical “Jesus Christ Superstar?”

“Hair” maybe?

Yes, and yes. And don’t forget “Hamlet 2” (the Rock Me Sexy Jesus performance). Great flick!

Posted: 01 May 2009 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Josh - 01 May 2009 01:27 PM

Yes, and yes. And don’t forget “Hamlet 2” (the Rock Me Sexy Jesus performance). Great flick!

Beggeth the question about how big Josh’s hands are. Wheresover thou findest Josh’s hands, there also wilt thou findeth his dick.

[ Edited: 01 May 2009 09:53 AM by Traces Elk]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 01 May 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

‘You cracker me up.’

This thread kneads to end.  smirk

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 01 May 2009 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-22
Salt Creek - 01 May 2009 01:51 PM

Beggeth the question about how big Josh’s hands are. Wheresover thou findest Josh’s hands, there also wilt thou findeth his dick.

Wheresover thou findest Salt Creek, there also wilt thou findeth a dirty old man who fantasizeth about younger guys who masterbateth.

Posted: 01 May 2009 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2006-10-20

...the historical [fiction] accounts of his life are all we have to go on.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 01 May 2009 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2819
Joined  2005-04-29

. . . {A]ccording to the gospel stories, [Jesus] supposedly taught us to love one another, don’t cast stones, and follow the Golden Rule. He never owned any slaves, he never uttered a single word against homosexuality or gay marriage…in fact, he was silent on a lot of things that Christians today are so “up in arms” about (abortion, stem cells, evolution, etc.). . . .

According to Gospel stories? Why not quote from Santa experiences according to 3-year-old children, Josh? Or any other of the many thousands of stories that describe ideal behavior with some slight inkling of verisimilitude?

Do you really think that Gospel tales record every Goddamn word that came forth from the Western world’s (most likely fictitious) hero, Jesus Christ? Jesus H. Christ, you’re still either a buffoon pretending to understand, or you’re just a babbling idiot.

I suspect you have some potential, Josh. But your intellect remains for now no more than potential.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 02 May 2009 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

According to the propaganda accounts called the Gospels, Jesus was a short tempered bigot who initially refused to heal the child of a Syro-Phoenician woman because she was not one of the children of Israel. Not only does Jesus refuse to help her, he calls the mother and her daughter, dogs. He thought that mental illness was demon possession. He killed pigs without compensating the owner. He killed a fig tree because it did not have fruit out of season. He had a hissy fit at the temple and vandalized the property of legitimate business people.

Gentle Jesus, meek and mild-my ass.

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

1 of 6

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed