The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new survey.
Posted: 30 April 2009 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2008-05-28

How do Christians reconcile Jesus’ message of peace (according to them) and the general rules of “love thy neighbor” with being the group that most support torture of suspected terrorist?

Click here

“The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new survey.

The Washington Region Religious Campaign Against Torture rallied on Capitol Hill in March 2008.

More than half of people who attend services at least once a week—54 percent—said the use of torture against suspected terrorists is “often” or “sometimes” justified. Only 42 percent of people who “seldom or never” go to services agreed, according to the analysis released Wednesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified—more than six in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only four in 10 of them did.

The analysis is based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults conducted April 14-21. It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small.  See results of the survey ยป

The president of the National Association of Evangelicals, Leith Anderson, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The survey asked: “Do you think the use of torture against suspected terrorists in order to gain important information can often be justified, sometimes be justified, rarely be justified, or never be justified?”

Roughly half of all respondents—49 percent—said it is often or sometimes justified. A quarter said it never is.

The religious group most likely to say torture is never justified was Protestant denominations—such as Episcopalians, Lutherans and Presbyterians—categorized as “mainline” Protestants, in contrast to evangelicals. Just over three in 10 of them said torture is never justified. A quarter of the religiously unaffiliated said the same, compared with two in 10 white non-Hispanic Catholics and one in eight evangelicals.”

[edit link]

[ Edited: 01 May 2009 03:21 AM by Andrew]
 Signature 

“Despite the cost of living, it’s still popular”

Posted: 30 April 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

The question ought to have asked: Do you think that torture of one of the members of your church would ever be justified.  See how they reacted when the victim was one of them rather than one of those.

Posted: 01 May 2009 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19

Doesn’t surprise me. It’s the result of intertwining political right wing wingnutism and delusional religious fuckwitism into a marketable commodity for the ignorant masses. You can’t hardly sort them out anymore, just two sides of the same coin. Palin constituency types.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 01 May 2009 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

Christianity is all about torture. I heard a co-worker tell another one a couple of weeks ago that her church was playing “Passion of the Christ” and asked him if he had seen it. He told her he didn’t know if he could sit through it and she said it was great because it was a reminder of what he (Christ) did for her.

So you see, the more “passionate” you are about your religion, the more you accept torture.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 02 May 2009 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
rab - 02 May 2009 12:01 AM

Christianity is all about torture. I heard a co-worker tell another one a couple of weeks ago that her church was playing “Passion of the Christ” and asked him if he had seen it. He told her he didn’t know if he could sit through it and she said it was great because it was a reminder of what he (Christ) did for her.

So you see, the more “passionate” you are about your religion, the more you accept torture.

If Jesus had come to earth about 60 years ago, would Christians be wearing little electric chairs around their necks?  I wonder if Pontius Bush had his ‘Black Holes’ in Egypt and Turkey devise an electric cross for terrorist suspects?  Would Christians flock to watch a dramatization of Jesus being subjected to the treatment photographed at Abu Graib?  The howls, the urine, the dog leashes, the stacks of naked bodies, the savage dogs, the electric wires . . . the grinning Americans in their fatigues.
“Do that again Private England!  I missed that shot!”

[ Edited: 02 May 2009 04:01 PM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-04-22

I agree with MHunter

Nfl jersey louis vuitton air Jordan replica watches

Posted: 11 May 2009 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
unsmoked - 02 May 2009 07:22 PM

If Jesus had come to earth about 60 years ago, would Christians be wearing little electric chairs around their necks?

See “He Walked Among Us” in Weird Science #13.

Posted: 21 July 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2006-06-15

Sam Harris supports torture in certain circumstances (The End of Faith Chapter 6) because he thinks it is the logical thing to do in a case where the lives of others might be at stake. This is, to me, the only really questionable thing he has said so far. Not that I disagree - I would defend the lives of innocents with violence if I thought it would achieve anything useful - but it is questionable, if only because torture doesn’t necessarily produce the truth, only someone telling you what they hope you want to hear. Especially if you’ve got the wrong guy.

With regard to churchgoers supporting torture, Idries Shah pointed out something similar many years ago: A study showed that Christians were more in favour of the death penalty after a hymn singing session than they were before. Which made one question the value of singing religious songs in the context of conveying the religious message.

Signature 

Affiliation creates division. Friendship is better than membership.

Posted: 21 July 2009 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  2007-08-07
mesomorph - 21 July 2009 04:09 PM

With regard to churchgoers supporting torture, Idries Shah pointed out something similar many years ago: A study showed that Christians were more in favour of the death penalty after a hymn singing session than they were before. Which made one question the value of singing religious songs in the context of conveying the religious message.

I’m not really surprised by this.  Christianity is, when you pull away the curtain, nothing more than a death cult.  The promise of rewards after death is its core engine, and in a way, the “ultimate goal”.  Over and over Christians are told in the NT to put away worldly things and focus on the life they will have after death.

Christians get almost everything backwards:  To them, life is death, and death is life.

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 21 July 2009 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

Yeah not a shocker here.  Most Christians have gotten used to doing whatever the GOP tells them to do, they lost the rational, biblical part of their brain a long time ago.  It doesn’t have anything to do with real Christian doctrine, as some have speculated here.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 21 July 2009 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2008-10-05
Keep The Reason - 21 July 2009 04:35 PM
mesomorph - 21 July 2009 04:09 PM

I’m not really surprised by this.  Christianity is, when you pull away the curtain, nothing more than a death cult.  The promise of rewards after death is its core engine, and in a way, the “ultimate goal”.  Over and over Christians are told in the NT to put away worldly things and focus on the life they will have after death.

Christians get almost everything backwards:  To them, life is death, and death is life.

I this statement belies a lack of familiarity with NT theology.  Paul exhorted Christians facing death by reminding them about heaven.  In the proper context worldly things would refer to the things with which we become obsessed (sex, money, fun, etc).  Jesus without a doubt did not teach the kind of protognostic nonsense you are propounding.

Posted: 22 July 2009 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2006-06-15
wahoo - 21 July 2009 07:24 PM

Jesus without a doubt did not teach the kind of protognostic nonsense you are propounding.

What does ‘protognostic’ mean?

Signature 

Affiliation creates division. Friendship is better than membership.

Posted: 22 July 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17
mesomorph - 22 July 2009 10:03 AM
wahoo - 21 July 2009 07:24 PM

Jesus without a doubt did not teach the kind of protognostic nonsense you are propounding.

What does ‘protognostic’ mean?

I think it is the wrong term, he probably means pseudo-gnostic.  As far as I can tell (going from analogy to prototype) he would be referring to a preliminary template for gnosticism.  Of course, then we have to ask which sort of gnosticism he’s talking about.

‹‹ My argument      Torture support poll ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed