Bart Ehrman debunks the bible on CNN.com
Posted: 15 May 2009 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Yepper, right here. He is getting some publicity these days.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/05/15/bible.critic/index.html

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 16 May 2009 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

Some pastors also say that Ehrman forces them to confront tough questions about the Bible in front of their congregations.

“His take on the scriptures is a gift to the church because of his ability to articulate questions and challenges,” says Rev. Guy Williams, a blogger who also happens to be a Methodist minister in Houston, Texas. “It gives us an opportunity to wrestle with the [Bible’s] claims and questions.”

Wow! When ministers take Ehrman seriously in the way it makes them look critically at their faith, that’s a breakthrough.

I heard an interview with him on Freethought Radio a couple of weeks ago. He talked about the bible’s contradictions concerning what the gospels say about the day christ was crucified,  the day he was born, and the trinity. The gospels all contradict each other on these incidences.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 16 May 2009 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2006-10-20
rab - 16 May 2009 02:13 PM

Wow! When ministers take Ehrman seriously in the way it makes them look critically at their faith, that’s a breakthrough.

You’re missing something, rab - publicity.  There is no such thing as bad publicity, but what is bad is apathy.  It makes sense a minister would love to debate the topic with a well known infidel because it gives power to the minister and makes his cause known.  It also gives the minister a good opportunity to hone his skills at dispelling doubt and make up more shit to support his position as he goes.  Ehrman presents a challenge and, right or wrong, the challenge is fun.

A minister could have a debate with Ehrman and be publicly humiliated but still win the debate in the eyes of the faithful by simply declaring he put his faith up against a formidable foe who far outclassed him academically and intellectually and his faith still stands.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 16 May 2009 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  2006-04-24
McCreason - 15 May 2009 03:27 PM

Yepper, right here. He is getting some publicity these days.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/05/15/bible.critic/index.html

I know I am biased in his favor, but I have really enjoyed his interviews of late.  I look forward to reading God’s Problem in the near future. I wonder if he was ever worried about being fired for the kinds of things he has said about the Bible, Christianity, about losing his own faith.  I wonder if students avoid taking his classes for fear that he is misled by Satan…  He probably has tenure, but still, one would think saying the kind of stuff he is saying these days and being public about his loss of faith would do more than raise a few eyebrows among his colleagues and students.

Posted: 16 May 2009 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

From what I’ve read, there are many scholars, some conservative even, that think Ehrman has done some excellent work, particularly in making the minutiae of text criticism easily accessible to the masses.  What liberal and conservative scholars seem to agree on though is that Bart is particularly provocative about his biblical “discoveries” even when it has been severely criticized by many of his peers in the past:

From Dan Wallace:

“These criticisms were made of his earlier work, Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, which Misquoting Jesus has drawn from extensively. Yet, the conclusions that he put forth there are still stated here without recognition of some of the severe criticisms of his work the first go-around. For a book geared toward a lay audience, one would think that he would want to have his discussion nuanced a bit more, especially with all the theological weight that he says is on the line. One almost gets the impression that he is encouraging the Chicken Littles in the Christian community to panic at data that they are simply not prepared to wrestle with. Time and time again in the book, highly charged statements are put forth that the untrained person simply cannot sift through. And that approach resembles more an alarmist mentality than what a mature, master teacher is able to offer. Regarding the evidence, suffice it to say that significant textual variants that alter core doctrines of the NT have not yet been produced.”

Ehrman makes no bones about his bias and underlying presuppositions in the introduction to Misquoting Jesus and, of course, God’s Problem

I find it ironic that Christian scholars are lashed for their biases but I’ve read few books on text criticism or even theology by Christians that start with a personal testimony of how they became a believer in Christ and what their particular worldview is.  It’s simply not the venue for it.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 17 May 2009 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Of course Skipshot is right, as usual.

There simply is no winning a debate with a true believer.

Faith requires no proof and no reason so in the end…...how can they lose? To anyone?

Still, I hope Ehrman continues his fight for reason and truth.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 04 June 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1241
Joined  2006-11-05

What pisses me off the most is how everyone just takes the Bible litterally than blows it off as meaningless babble.

No one bothers to try and understand what the true message the each paragraph represents.

People just point out the obvious, write a book about it and make a quick buck. Nothing there disproves anything.

Posted: 06 June 2009 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

OK, what’s the true message of this?

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth

thy little ones against the stones.
Psalms 137:9

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed