Any more insane than religion?
Posted: 12 February 2006 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2006-02-05

What do you all think about the potential that there actually is very developed extra-terrestrial intelligence conducting unseen and as yet undetectable research on us? You know, watching us until we actually enter the age of reason, at which point they say "Hiya! Welcome to the Galactic Village. Here's your modem."?

Posted: 13 February 2006 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2807
Joined  2005-04-29

Award-winning cartoon idea.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 14 February 2006 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-02-05

Hm. I was sure I read that suggestion in a Carl Sagan book.  Perhaps I should alert Ann Druyan to the cartoon potential. :D

Posted: 24 February 2006 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-02-19

Monkeytits, what the hell difference does it make it if E.T. is out there or not.  There’s no tangible evidence to support it anyway .  We would be more likely to find Atlantis than Vulcan.  And what the hell is the age of reason?  I just don’t think that people in general can stand the idea of NOTHING else existing in the universe besides us.  Helps cope with God denial.

Posted: 24 February 2006 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

The subject of ET intelligence is one that I like to contemplate from time to time.

If, as some suspect, the emergence of intelligent life is probable given the right conditions (suitable planet orbiting suitable star, etc.), then it seems unlikely that there would not be other intelligent life out there.

However, all of this is pure speculation, because, as of now, there is no known direct evidence, and the precise mechanism(s) of abiogenesis are not well enough understood to make more than serious guesses on the subject, IMHO.

The somewhat controversial Drake Equation is a good framework for describing the probability of intelligent life being out there, but almost all of the variables in it must be filled in with almost pure guesswork.

Ultimately, on the subject of alien life, I have to pull out my Donald Rumsfeld impersonation:

Is there alien life out there?  We don’t know.

Could there be?  Sure there could.

When will we find it?  Hard to say.  Could be six years from now, or six hundred, or never.

If we don’t find it, does that mean it does not exist?  Of course not.  The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

-Matt

Posted: 24 February 2006 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-02-05

Monkeytits, what the hell difference does it make it if E.T. is out there or not. There’s no tangible evidence to support it anyway . We would be more likely to find Atlantis than Vulcan. And what the hell is the age of reason? I just don’t think that people in general can stand the idea of NOTHING else existing in the universe besides us. Helps cope with God denial.

Monkeytits? Was that supposed to be an insult? Nice try choirboy, now go back to your Priest, I’m sure he misses you. Incidentally, I don’t know whose quote you are butchering at the bottom of your posts but please, fix your puncuation and grammar.

As to what would be considered the “content” of your post:
What difference it make I would think is obvious. If we were to come to know that there was life at all outside this planet, intelligent or your own variety, it would dramatically and quickly change the face of belief on this planet.

As to your question about the age of reason, Thomas Paine wrote about it in 1794 in a paper called “THE AGE OF REASON”, which refers to a time which logic and reason supercede religion, which we are in the process of doing now. It followed the dawn of Newtonian physics and the butchery of the christian 14th century. (You oughtta try this thing called google…)

Furthermore, your debate is not arguable, due to your need to cower behind your opinion. When one uses the phrase “I just think” or “I just don’t think (in your case, you could end the sentence with a period right there)”, they have declared themselves unable and unworthy of debate, because I will not try to change your mind about the fact that you think whatever it is you NEED to think in order to justify your fantasy about the universe. Frankly I am not sure why you bothered to post on this thread.

In addition, what I find comically ironic about you and your post is that you seem to think that humans entertain or hope for the possibility og alien life as a way to deny god!  LOL
In fact, it is your own denial of the truth which drives your pathetic little brain to subscribe to and validate these fantasies in the first place. Have a nice life smart ass.

“Never underestimate the power of denial.” -Ricky Fitts

Oh yeah, and you really ought to read “The End of Faith”, which might retard the fit of optimism you had which suggested you may be able to post here without getting intellectually incinerated.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed