New work from Matt Ridley
Posted: 20 May 2009 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

due out in about a year according to Michael Shermer, who has read the manuscript for Ridleys upcoming book. Shermer discusses this briefly here, on his blog, after attending a TED conference hosted by Ridley in Britain.

Shermer-

When the Thinking Digital videos are posted be sure to watch Matt’s talk, and although I can’t really say much about this, Matt’s next book will be out in about a year and after reading the manuscript on the flight home I predict that it will be as important as Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs, and Steel, and just as ambitious, covering the last 100,000 years of human history. Stay tuned…

WOW! Can’t wait for this book. grin

[ Edited: 20 May 2009 12:34 PM by eudemonia]
 Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 22 May 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2008-05-07

I’m excited about it too. I’m actually reading Guns, Germs, and Steel right now.

Posted: 26 May 2009 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

The depth and scope of Guns, Germs and Steel is amazing and that’s why it received the Pulitzer. Jared Diamonds work is always first rate and world class.

I am interested to see how this upcoming work from Ridley compares. Diamonds book was less than 500 pages and it only dealt with the last 13,000 years of human existence. To be comparable in depth, Ridleys upcoming book dealing with the last 100,000 years of human existence must be massive, although I understand there is not nearly as much data to contend with beyond the last ice age.

We’ll see.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed