In his ‘LETTER TO A CHRISTIAN NATION’ Sam Harris writes:
“Religion raises the stakes of human conflict much higher than tribalism, racism, or politics ever can, as it is the only form of in-group/out-group thinking that casts the differences between people in terms of eternal rewards and punishments. One of the enduring pathologies of human cullture is the tendency to raise children to fear and demonize other human beings on the basis of religious faith.”
I suppose there could be 50 million Christian children in the U.S. who have been taught to demonize and hate atheists. To help reduce fear and hatred in the world, and to give atheists a chance to run for president some day, I suggest a public relations campaign to help improve our image. This could be in the form of TV commercials in the vein of the anti-smoking campaign. Or, how about a series of posters distributed to kindergardens? Here are some poster ideas.
1. SANTA CLAUS IS AN ATHEIST. He is popular with Buddhist children in Japan.
2. THE TOOTH FAIRY IS AN ATHEIST. The Bible doesn’t believe in elfs.
3. PINNOCHIO IS AN ATHEIST. He has a father, but no mother. (People without a mother have got to be atheists).
4. Moses did not believe in Jesus.
5. Adam and Eve were not Christians!
6. Your dog and cat are atheists. Hamsters only pretend to believe. Your goldfish could care less, he just wants a bigger bowl.
7. Dinosaurs are suspect. Like atheists, they lived before God made the world.
Most forum members are probably too young to remember the Captain Video commercials in 1950. A chorus of little children sang while an animated peach stone and an apple core danced:
“The peach stone said to the apple core
‘the color of our skin doesn’t matter any more -
Ho ho ho, can’t you see?
The color of your skin doesn’t matter to me!”
A mere 59 years later we were able to elect a black president, so please give this topic consideration.