1 of 2
50 percent of Icelandic people believe in elves, for real.
Posted: 15 June 2009 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2008-02-10

And they use the same justification for their belief that those who believe in god do:  just because you can’t see them, doen’st mean that they aren’t there.

I think it’s rather sweet that there are some people who believe in elves.  I wonder how many Irish people believe in leprechauns.

Posted: 16 June 2009 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05

This explains how Bjork got to be so flaky.

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

Posted: 16 June 2009 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

I find that stat difficult to believe.

However, it is the land of the Sagas.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, to them anyway.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 16 June 2009 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Do you remember in the film, ‘Castaway’, Tom Hanks began to personify a volleyball?  He even gave it a name, and almost drowned trying to rescue it when the current carried it away.

No need to go into lonely pet owners and their pets.

Anyway, if you’re alone in nature for extended periods, moths begin to look like little people with wings.  Heck, they are little people with wings.  Same DNA, same need to eat and drink and get layed.  Same mortality!  Alas, poor Luna!  I knew her well!

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 16 June 2009 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
unsmoked - 16 June 2009 06:48 PM

In the film, ‘Castaway’, Tom Hanks, played a modern-day Robinson Crusoe, shipwrecked on an uninhabited island.  In his loneliness, he began to personify a basketball that chanced to float ashore with him from the wreck.  He called it Wilson.  Wilson sat beside him at the campfire, and he could tell the ball how his day went.  He almost drowned trying to rescue his friend when Wilson fell off a raft and the current carried ‘him’ away.

No need to go into lonely pet owners and their pets.

Anyway, if you’re alone in nature for extended periods, moths begin to look like little people with wings.  Heck, they are little people with wings.  Same DNA, same need to eat and drink and get layed.  Same mortality!  Alas, poor Luna!  I knew her well!

http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=207024

[ Edited: 17 June 2009 11:46 AM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 16 June 2009 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2008-02-10

Actually I got that statistic from The Times.  I don’t know where they got their statistics from.

Posted: 16 June 2009 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20
unsmoked - 16 June 2009 06:48 PM

And there it is - the human desire to anthropomorphize everything.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 18 June 2009 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Re: 50 percent of Icelandic people believe in elves, for real.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article902014.ece

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 18 June 2009 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

LOL. Nice photo job there Byron.

People in South America too??!!

Elves and gnomes all around us! Damn.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
eudemonia - 18 June 2009 02:46 PM

Elves and gnomes all around us! Damn.

Headline in the Seward Peninsula Beacon:

‘Elves Presley seen in a bar in downtown Gnome, AK.’

I’m wondering if that meant a ‘bar’ or a ‘bear’, which was also seen in downtown Gnome.  It was taking a mailbox apart.  Apparently someone had mailed a box of sausages.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

All that really matters is if Sarah Palin can see Gnome Alaska from her house. If she can, that I would say that she has seen Gnomes, and knowing her probably believes in them.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
eudemonia - 18 June 2009 03:24 PM

All that really matters is if Sarah Palin can see Gnome Alaska from her house. If she can, that I would say that she has seen Gnomes, and knowing her probably believes in them.

Believes in them, and shot one.  At least, like Dick Cheney, she thought it was one when she pulled the trigger. 

Sarah:  (to detective)  It was walking sideways and had a pointy head.

Detective:  Sarah, as we speak they are picking birdshot out of John’s ass.  I suggest you just tell the reporters that he looked like an endangered species.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2009 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Wonder if she will post pics on youtube of her and Bristol field dressing a gnome?

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 19 June 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
eudemonia - 18 June 2009 05:01 PM

Wonder if she will post pics on youtube of her and Bristol field dressing a gnome?

Dinner at the Palins - Scene 1

Todd:  Sarah, I don’t think it’s a good idea to hang the gnome’s head in the dining room.

Bristol:  It’s cute daddy.

Track:  No.  I agree with dad.  It’s weird.  Mom, why’d you have to shoot it anyway?  They’re rare.  You just imagined that it gave you the finger.

Sarah:  Don’t be such a sissy, Track.  I hope they make a man out of you in Iraq.  When someone gives you the finger you shoot them, right Todd?

Track:  It was trying to offer you a gemstone.  That’s what dwarfs do.  They mine gemstones.  Hi ho, hi ho.  Remember?

Sarah:  Bullshit.  It was walking sideways, circling me.  They’re pagan little SOB’s.

Todd:  What’d you do with that ruby anyway?  How many carots was it again?

Bristol:  Why can’t I go to Iraq?  I’d like to plug a few terrorists.

Todd:  Bristol, eat your salad!  Track, there’s a lot of hashish being passed around in the Green Zone; I don’t want you to . . .

Track:  Dad!  For cripes sake!  God!  I think that gnome just blinked!

Todd:  Mom, do you really think Track should go to . . .?  What if he . . .?

Track:  (suddenly getting up from the table) I’m taking that gnome down right now!  It’s jinxing me!  Do you know what happens when you kill gnomes?

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2009 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

LOL. Good one US. ‘Pagan little SOB’s!’ Classic.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 23 June 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  951
Joined  2007-06-23

Yeah, well I’m only about half convinced Iceland is real.

Signature 

He who is not a misanthrope at forty can never have loved mankind  -Chamfort

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed