1 of 6
Do Christians believe that the miracles in other major religions are true?
Posted: 16 June 2009 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

If Christians don’t think miraculous stories about Krishna or Buddha, or Muhammad are true, why do they think they were written?  Why do they think a billion or so people in those religions believe them to be true?

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 16 June 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2006-10-20

You beat me to it, unsmoked.  I was thinking about prayer, and if a Hindu was to pray to Ganesha for something and receive it, how would a Christian view the positive result of that prayer?

How does a Christian view good fortune which visits an atheist who hasn’t prayed?  I consider myself remarkably lucky to have the life I do, but nothing I have was prayed for by me.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 16 June 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

There you go, trying to rationalize the irrational again.

I get a kick out of the people who pray for their sports teams to win. Well, isn’t there most probably people praying for the other team to win too?

Somebody has to fookin’ win!!!

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 16 June 2009 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Let’s say one of Clay’s children asks him, “Daddy, did Jesus really walk on water?”  I expect Clay would say, “Yes, he did.  How do we know?  The Bible tells us so.” 

Then, at school, a Muslim child tell’s Clay’s child that Muhammad flew up to heaven on a white horse.

Clay’s child:  Daddy, did the prophet Muhammad really fly up to heaven on a white horse?

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 16 June 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
Skipshot - 16 June 2009 03:37 PM

You beat me to it, unsmoked.  I was thinking about prayer, and if a Hindu was to pray to Ganesha for something and receive it, how would a Christian view the positive result of that prayer?

How does a Christian view good fortune which visits an atheist who hasn’t prayed?  I consider myself remarkably lucky to have the life I do, but nothing I have was prayed for by me.

Mathew 5:45 - “. . . so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and unrighteous.”

Christians will quote this when convenient.  When not convenient, when they want to trounce someone, they will be the first to call Mathew 5:38-48 ‘treason talk’.  “Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you?  What, are you nuts?”

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-24
unsmoked - 16 June 2009 03:13 PM

I can’t speak for all Christians.  I don’t know if the miracles of other major religions happened or not.  Perhaps they did.  I believe in the miracles recorded about Jesus and his apostles, because I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.  I can’t judge what other people have experienced, and I don’t have to.  That’s one reason I like Jesus’ teaching that we should not judge or condemn others.  That’s just not in my job description.

Posted: 16 June 2009 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Eugenie - 17 June 2009 12:22 AM

because I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.

Your personal testimonials of woo experiences are worthless to me, dearie, unless you can tell me in no uncertain terms how to have them myself. Step by step. People have various reactions to reading Bibble stories. My reaction happens to be something in between side-splitting guffawing and projectile vomiting.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05
unsmoked - 16 June 2009 05:52 PM

Let’s say one of Clay’s children asks him, “Daddy, did Jesus really walk on water?”  I expect Clay would say, “Yes, he did.  How do we know?  The Bible tells us so.” 

Then, at school, a Muslim child tell’s Clay’s child that Muhammad flew up to heaven on a white horse.

Clay’s child:  Daddy, did the prophet Muhammad really fly up to heaven on a white horse?

Of course he didn’t—it’s not in the Bible.

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

‘I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.’

Too cool! Another revelation for one of the billions who partake in self delusion.

Seek and ye shall find.

Or in modern terms-confirmation bias.

Whatever you do eug, don’t separate brain chemistry from ‘experience’.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 17 June 2009 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2006-10-20
unsmoked - 16 June 2009 06:14 PM

Mathew 5:45 - “. . . so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and unrighteous.”

Ah. . . yesssss.  All prayers, regardless of which god they are made to, are re-routed and forwarded to the Christian god.

Or is Matthew 5:45 trying to take credit for pointing out the obvious?

For your entertainment - Mr. Deity

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 17 June 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20

I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.

That’s too bad for you. Fortunately here at SHF we have no problem judging and condemning. wink

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 17 June 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

Well in case you’re wondering…

I would likely tell my daughter that I don’t believe Muhammad really flew up to heaven on a white horse.  If my intuitive child asks me why I believe more miraculous claims in the Christian Bible and not in the Qu’ran, I would further explain that I believe the Bible to be God’s Word and the Qu’ran as simply a book dictated by one man, Muhammad who took elements of the Torah and the New Testament and combined them with his own ideas to make his own creation.  I would also talk about how the Qu’ran rarely gives detailed, chronological information about real historical events and claims itself as a book of guidance or instruction, whereas the Bible makes no distinction and frequently recounts specific events in history without apology or disclaimers.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 17 June 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

I believe in the miracles recorded about Jesus and his apostles, because I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.

Ask your doctor if thorazine is right for you.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 17 June 2009 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15
eucaryote - 17 June 2009 03:45 PM

I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.

That’s too bad for you. Fortunately here at SHF we have no problem judging and condemning. wink

LOL! Oh how true.

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 17 June 2009 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1044
Joined  2008-02-15
clayforHim648 - 17 June 2009 06:55 PM

Well in case you’re wondering…

I would likely tell my daughter that I don’t believe Muhammad really flew up to heaven on a white horse.  If my intuitive child asks me why I believe more miraculous claims in the Christian Bible and not in the Qu’ran, I would further explain that I believe the Bible to be God’s Word and the Qu’ran as simply a book dictated by one man, Muhammad who took elements of the Torah and the New Testament and combined them with his own ideas to make his own creation.  I would also talk about how the Qu’ran rarely gives detailed, chronological information about real historical events and claims itself as a book of guidance or instruction, whereas the Bible makes no distinction and frequently recounts specific events in history without apology or disclaimers.

As Spock would say; The lies of many out weigh the lies of the one….........

Signature 

Why is there Something instead of Nothing: No reason or ever knowable reason.

Kissing Hank’s Ass
Pope Song (rated NC17).

Posted: 17 June 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
clayforHim648 - 17 June 2009 06:55 PM

If my intuitive child asks me why I believe more miraculous claims in the Christian Bible and not in the Qu’ran, I would further explain ....

But you didn’t Clay. You evaded her question. You didn’t explain why you believe miracles in the bible and nowhere else. If the bible reports miracles, then how good can it’s history be? There is nothing about the bible that grants it any more credibility than any other book.

You should at least be intellectually honest enough to tell her that you believe the bible because you are crazy that way and for no other reason. After all, you have the right to believe whatever nonsense you want, you should extend that right to your daughter. If she wants to believe in flying horses she needs no more justification that you have for believing that a man can walk on water, come back from the dead…whatever.

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

1 of 6

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed